• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Agent orange

Dating Vintage Watches

Just thought I`d add this which is the only information I`ve seen relating to dating Citizen watches...

Dating Seiko & Citizen Watches:

Well it's pretty easy just so long as you know when the Movements were in production... So for example the Seiko SKX007 Powered by a 7S26 Automatic Movement. With a serial number of 1N0596 is easy to date...

Movement 1st made for sale in 1996

The 1st number of the serial number signifies the year which is '1' so that means it is 2001

The 2nd number or letter signifies the Month 'N' which is November

So this watch was produced in November 2001 ;-))

So for a 7S26 Powered Watch.

Seiko Year:

6 - 1996

7 - 1997

8 - 1998

9 - 1999

0 - 2000

1 - 2001

2 - 2002

3 - 2003

4 - 2004

5 - 2005

? - 2006 Oh this year is going to be Fun!!!!!!

Seiko Month:

1 - January

2 - February

3 - March

4 - April

5 - May

6 - June

7 - July

8 - August

9 - September

O - October

N - November

D - December

With Citizen Watches it was thought that the Serial number worked in the same way but it is now thought to differ with the month part.... This was mainly because it was noted that there were apparently a lot of watch serial numbers with the 2nd number of '0/O' pointing to an October manufactured Month... So the current mode of thought is like this...

Citizen Serial Number 81107543

Movt. 1st made for sale in 1967

The 1st number of the serial number is '8' so 1968

The 2nd number is 1 [under the Seiko method we'd think January... However this is now thought to be wrong] it is the 2nd + 3rd number which is 1+1 = 11 so the Month is November

The watch was made in November 1968

Citizen Year:

Same year Method as the Seiko:

Citizen Month:

01 - January

02 - February

03 - March

04 - April

05 - May

06 - June

07 - July

08 - August

09 - September

10 - October

11 - November

12 - December

This method works well with my vintage Citizens...

I hope that it helps...

Mike

here's a good one everytime you try to look up citizen or any other watch in that order you get sent to there main page and have to pay money to get answer, well here's a real good movement page to bypass all there crap..lol...http://www.citizenwatch.com/downloads/tech/tech.htm

Evening all :)

Bulova: 1924-1948

bulova-dates.jpg

I added this graphic to my  web site a couple of days ago that describes Bulova's method of dating watches between 1924 and 1948.  I guess we've all seen the later A-T, 0-9 dating method before, but I for one wasn't aware of this earlier method.  I redrew the symbols whilst pottering about in OpenOffice so, whilst not super-accurate representations, they should at least be good enough to identify the similar markings on Bulova movements from that era.

However, once again I've forgotten where I got this information from but, having trawled about on the Internet for the original, I found that there seem to be two variations on the symbols for 1946.  One version has just "46" whilst another has "46" and a square, as in the above pic.

Can anyone confirm what the correct marking should be?  Maybe it's an either/or?

This is not quite off-topic, just a slight ricochet!

Before we can date our vintage watch movements we at least need to know who made them! The RLT Photo Gallery had some usefull watch movement marking/symbol information but the Photo Gallery seems to have been offline for a while. So, I've scanned the Swiss movement marking symbols from my own copies of the "Catalogue Officiel des Pieces de Rhabillage pour Montres Suisses" (the Officical Swiss Watch Spare Parts Catalogue) circa 1949 and you can download these large pics from here and identify your watch movements:

symbols-acvatic-cortebert.jpg

symbols-coursier-jupiter.jpg

symbols-omer-solago.jpg

symbols-studio-zenith.jpg

can anyone tell me about the enicar watch. was g/fathers.

on back of watch above 'enicar' is 'seapearl', below is ultrasonic. around edge: rolled gold bezel, stainless steal back, waterproof, automatic swiss incabloc eniflex 100/122 vaps?

on watch face: enicar ultrasonic 25 levels? automatic seapearl

if possible where to repair?

thanks for any help =)

Does anybody have a system for dating Lecoultre's??

I have heard you can write them directly and they are quite helpful but it is a watch I am looking to buy and I can't obtain any pix for it, etc. Just a serial # and case #.

Thanx!

Does anybody have a system for dating Lecoultre's??

I have heard you can write them directly and they are quite helpful but it is a watch I am looking to buy and I can't obtain any pix for it, etc. Just a serial # and case #.

Thanx!

Still looking for that "LeCoultre System,"... Thanx - Robert

Here are a few Longines numbers from the 1970's it seems that they padded the numbers out in the 1970's because in 1969 they were on 15 million,

thanks to davidcxn from this forum for the link, (info gleaned from the net)

1972 50,841,***

1972 50,849,***

1972 50,851,***

1972 50,858,***

1972 51,109,***

1974 52,216,***

c1976 51,799,***

c1977 53,478,***

c1977 54,387,***

c1977 54,475,***

c1980 53,902,***

Cheers Martin

Hi I have an ancient old Rolex with a very early and rare oyster case in which a cal 59 Tudor at it's centre. I have recently had it fixed but would like to know how early it really is.

Its serial number on the inside of the case and is: 25551. It has a military dial with sub-seconds dial at the 6 o'clock position with Oyster and then just above the sub dial is the name unicorn. It has the early screw down crown. I would also like to have a rough estimate of how much a collector would pay for it, and also how old it is. Thanks.

Just to let anyone that`s interested know that after gathering more information the Services chart has been updated including the addition of an earlier logo style...

services-dates.jpg

II haven`t been able to ascertain when the change from the company changed over from the first to second logo & the chart still is still not completely accurate but it will do until I clarify things a bit more

Ok, maybe I should have checked that post more carefully :rolleyes:

Here`s what I meant to say...

I haven`t been able to ascertain when the company changed over from the first to second logo, also the chart is still not completely accurate but it`ll do until I can clarify things a bit more :wink2:

Edited by mach 0.0013137
  • Thanks 1

:oops: I forgot to say thanks to Rich (rhaythorne) for the great job he did creating the graphic :rolleyes:

services-dates.jpg

Cheers Rich :thumbsup:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Rodana/Rodania

Having just acquired a Rodana, I looked up the references on here as well as searching around the net, and I found a slightly different version of the history, look up Rodania on Wikipedia!

Also I've found some old brand ads

rodanaadvert2.jpg

rodanaadvert.jpg

rodanaadvert3.jpg

and my latest acquisition

Rodana8.jpg

Anyone know how to date a vertex watch please. I can't find anything on the web... :(

The good Doctor at Mikrolisk shows 4 references to Vertex,

Good thread. Here's a follow on from the previous Rolex Dating post. I found this while trolling around the net.

Year Case Number

2004 Y, F

2005 F, D

2006 F,D,Z

2007 Z,M

2008 Z,M,V

2009 V

"As of August 2010 serial numbers for new Rolex watches are randomized making it impossible to use the numbers for dating purposes".

Also Omega follow on:

1998 56 million

1999 59.8 mil

2000 61 mil

2001 65 mil

2002 65.5 mil

2003 68 mil

2004 70 mil

2005 72 mil

2006 78 mil

2007 81 mil

2008 84 mil

I have a Unicorn watch which i understand is part of the Rolex family, it has a silver case and the front has Northern Goldsmith Newcastle and as it was found in a field many years ago by my father in law we know nothing of the history, anyone have any ideas how to get info on the watch, age/value etc.It does not have a strap and the glass is missing. If this helps numbers on the back casing read 578 127858

many thanks in advance

Enquiring about watches my wife has inherited from her grandfather and father (the Rolex Army case 3139 cushion style and the Baume Automatic, respectively). I attach some pics - hope they are detailed enough. Would anyone perhaps be able to provide some information about them, please?

Thanks,

Danny

P.S. I am most interested in having them cleaned/repaired so they can be worn.

Only yesterday the Rolex started working and has kept good time since...(we had sent it via local watch shop to Rolex HQ, who sent it back with a " Can't do anything with this old thing-type response" ); the Baume works intermittently, or at least when someone's wearing it.

Any advice much appreciated

Now the Rolex, back and front…