• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Agent orange

Dating Vintage Watches

11 minutes ago, Galimbe said:

My caliber of Minerva I asked in Monblan and thay in 1week answered.

Intresting for me, that Hy.Moser said cant answer about year of movement, because its was lost (data and archive).

It's not unusual for some of the historic watch brands to have incomplete records, surprisingly some of the high end marque's have sketchy records.

Some of these are quietly encouraging owners of vintage timepieces to contact them (email with pic's first) so as to build up a data base, records, timeline of previous production.

They may even invite you to send your timepiece to them for analysis, you may be pleasantly surprised what evolves from this. 

Having said that, they are tuned in to sorting out the just curious & spurious.

It all assists in maintaining their heritage & patrimony.

Alan

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Galimbe said:

My caliber of Minerva I asked in Monblan and thay in 1week answered.

Intresting for me, that Hy.Moser said cant answer about year of movement, because its was lost (data and archive).

That's not unusual sadly. Archives got destroyed as companies changed hands, before the used wristwatch market took off and they all started playing on their heritage for marketing!

On 07/01/2010 at 10:05, Agent orange said:

Lots of people ask about dating watches so I thought it might be a good idea to share our collective information.

I'll start the ball rolling with dating Omegas. Essentially all Omegas are dated by their movement number, obviously you'll need access the movement to find this. Once that's done here's a list of movement numbers with corresponding years, I hope this is legible.

Omegamovementnumberdates.png

Although this is a good system and extremely useful it's not infallible or 100% accurate. Lots of Omegas are put togethers or frankenwatches especially the more iconic models. For example a vintage SM300 may well have a cal.565 from a much less valuable model like a Geneve. If your movement has a R next to the number it means it's a service replacement movement (thanks to JonW for that snippet of info).

Hope this helps and if anyone want to share dating information from other manufacturers please add to this post.

I've got a scan of a German Tissot dating sheet somewhere, if I can find it I'll translate, type it out and post later.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Mods do you think this might be worth pinning? Hopefully it'll grow into a useful resource for many.

Your table helped me to figure out the year of my Omega... :)

• Like 3

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an old Hamilton watch that I can't identify. It looks identical to the 61001-3 but the serial number is 61001-4 and it's gold plated (i think). Searching that number always results in the seaveiw 3 which is the wrong watch. Any help appreciated.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, L_G246 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an old Hamilton watch that I can't identify. It looks identical to the 61001-3 but the serial number is 61001-4 and it's gold plated (i think). Searching that number always results in the seaveiw 3 which is the wrong watch. Any help appreciated.

I might be able to help, but do you have some pictures you can show please?

On 7 January 2010 at 10:05, Agent orange said:

Lots of people ask about dating watches so I thought it might be a good idea to share our collective information.

I'll start the ball rolling with dating Omegas. Essentially all Omegas are dated by their movement number, obviously you'll need access the movement to find this. Once that's done here's a list of movement numbers with corresponding years, I hope this is legible.

Omegamovementnumberdates.png

Although this is a good system and extremely useful it's not infallible or 100% accurate. Lots of Omegas are put togethers or frankenwatches especially the more iconic models. For example a vintage SM300 may well have a cal.565 from a much less valuable model like a Geneve. If your movement has a R next to the number it means it's a service replacement movement (thanks to JonW for that snippet of info).

Hope this helps and if anyone want to share dating information from other manufacturers please add to this post.

Why can't I see 1953 ???? 

On 7 January 2010 at 10:05, Agent orange said:

I've got a scan of a German Tissot dating sheet somewhere, if I can find it I'll translate, type it out and post later.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Mods do you think this might be worth pinning? Hopefully it'll grow into a useful resource for many.

The dating calendar is not infallible it is a guide. 

Whatever movement number correlates to the above table,  it will give you a date as to when that calibre was made. 

You will notice the increments per year are in millions,  when they were less than that number sold, the table join the years. 

You can write to Omega and for £60 or even more (it used to be free)  they will give you written information. 

Cheers Martin 

• Like 2

IMG_6042.jpgIMG_6044.jpgIMG_6043.jpgIMG_6045.jpgHi all, 

this watch belonged to my grand grand mother and gave it to my grand mother. My grand mother gave it to my wife. I want to find some information about it.

@Agent orange Hi there, any luch with the post 1967 Universal Geneve dating matrixes ?

Thanks

Roby

Hi Universal Geneve lovers,
this prestigious brand shows as available matrixes with serial numbers only up to 1967, up to serial number 2.550.000.
However UG has made after that still many lovely watches, most with serial number on the back.
I just acquired an other one that I am having hard time idenfiying the aproximate manufacturing date which is what I was able to do with other 5 UG' s I have, all pre 1967.
Anybody has access to UG resources with tables post 1967 ?
My new purchase has serial number : 3.444.110
PS : I will have the watch opened (don' t know how to open this one) next week so with the cal number I may have some rough idea, in the mean time I just ask.

thanks in advance for any help

regards

Roby

• Confused 1

Hello--I am new to this forum and have a question in search of an answer. As to Atlantic Worldmaster watches with 21 jewel Unitas 6300N movements is it possible to date them by the serial number etched into the caseback and , if so, can someone enlighten me on how the numbers correspond to year of manufacture. I can find very little information on these watches--Many thanks in advance

Does anyone have any information about dating Accurist watches? I've looked online any can't find much. I've just bought what I think is a fairly early one, with the italic script logo and 21 jewels, antimagnetic and Swiss written on the face

It seems to have changed over the years to the modern one

Any help would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, gimli said:

Maybe this place ? https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/forum/22-electric-electronic-watches/

Anyway, some pics would be nice.

Movements come with dates at certain positions specifically so no you can't adjust them. At most you can get a new date/day wheel that is correct for the position that you want (for the dial's hole basically)

Some movements come with date at 3 o'clock, some with date at 4 o'clock... It's all about the angles that the numbers/letters line up.

Thanks. I wasn't sure as it says early electric watches.

Thanks for the information, is it possible to take the day\date wheels from the old movement and swap them to the new one? Apart from that they're identical.

46 minutes ago, Steveibiza said:

Does anyone have any information about dating Accurist watches? I've looked online any can't find much. I've just bought what I think is a fairly early one, with the italic script logo and 21 jewels, antimagnetic and Swiss written on the face

It seems to have changed over the years to the modern one

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. I wasn't sure as it says early electric watches.

Thanks for the information, is it possible to take the day\date wheels from the old movement and swap them to the new one? Apart from that they're identical.

Yes if the movements are identical, you can take the wheels from the old one and "transplant" them onto the new one.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 11:00, scottswatches said:

Nice result to help date Oris watches, taken from their official 100 years book so should be accurate

Oris logo 1928-1940Oris logos 51-85

amazing scott that means oris were still turning out the manual wind 702 between 80 and 85, in an age of quartz must have been an anomaly.