• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
SEIKO7A38

My Newest Incoming 7A38 - Sorry- Orient J39....

It was made in the Orient - in the Land of the Rising Sun, by The Orient Watch Company ! :)

Those of you who peruse the SCWF forum, may have seen a couple of brief posts about the 'Orient 7A38'.

They were made by Kurt, who originally found the watch on eBay Switzerland back in June 2008.

This is the most recent post / thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1264613210/

and this is Kurt's (now red-X'd) photo - re-used with his kind permission:

Orient-7A38-1a-Resized.jpg

Needless to say, I had to have it for my 7A38 collection - at the time he posted, we had already started negotiations. :naughty:

I'll write up some more, later this weekend, once I've had a chance to better examine it.

The tacit Seiko - Orient 'connection' is very apparent in some aspects of it's construction.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I'll write up some more, later this weekend, once I've had a chance to better examine it.

In the meantime, here's a few observations, based on the photos Kurt provided me with, prior to purchase. :wink2:

The tacit Seiko - Orient 'connection' is very apparent in some aspects of it's construction.

The classic Seiko 7A38 tri-compax / day-date layout is an immediately obvious giveaway.

Those of you who know your 7A38's will notice the resemblence to the all-black 7A38-7180.

(I wouldn't mind betting that they share exactly the same Seiko Tachymeter dial ring, too !)

Orient-7A38-3-Resized.jpg

Note - there is no Orient 'Lions Rampant' crest logo - even though there would have been enough space for it.

Other than 'Orient' being printed in the correct font, all other scripts are in standard Seiko fonts -

Including the small dial face identifiers either side of the 6 o'clock subdial ....

Which say simply 'Japan' and 'S1 001'.

So was this the very first Seiko / Orient quartz chronograph collaboration ?

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

In the meantime, here's a few observations, based on the photos Kurt provided me with, prior to purchase. :wink2:

In fact, though I may later be proven wrong in this assumption ....

Almost everything about this Orient 7A38 points to it having been made by Seiko for Orient.

Check out another couple of Kurt's photos:

Orient-7A38-4-Resized.jpg

The design and shape of the watch case is very similar to that used on the Seiko 7A38-7070/-7080 'Divers'.

The colour and consistency of the 'gunmetal' coating (with a tinge of lilac, when viewed in certain lights) ....

.... is almost identical to that used on the contemporary Seiko 7A38-7250 model (mine has faded slightly).

I intend to remove, clean and possibly replace the gold-plated pushers ....

with what are probably exactly the same Seiko parts, as used on the 7A38-702H; -7120 and -7130.

As is also the gold-plated crown, if I'm not mistaken. :unsure:

Note too, on the R.H. side of this photo of the caseback ....

Orient-7A38-5-Resized.jpg

.... how the bracelet part number identifier is stamped into the springbar link tube ....

.... in exactly the same place, and typeface that Seiko use. :wink2:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

..... So was this the very first Seiko / Orient quartz chronograph collaboration ?

Whether we had agreed on a deal or not (it was a forgone conclusion on my part :rolleyes:) ....

The one thing I really wanted to see was some close-up photos of exactly how the Orient '7A38' movement was signed.

And Kurt kindly obliged in providing a couple, despite the obviously poor ambient light. :)

Orient-7A38-6-Resized.jpg

Orient-7A38-7-Resized.jpg

Note how Orient is stamped (where Seiko normally would be stamped) on the anti-magnetic back-plate.

(Compared to how it is merely printed on the later Shimauchi Ltd. V906 and Ferrari Cal. 531 versions.)

The movement is designated J3920. Funny how that follows on from 7A38. :lookaround:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Whether we had agreed on a deal or not (it was a forgone conclusion on my part :rolleyes:) ....

To which end, in an effort to further my research, I had written to the Orient Watch Company, the previous week.

I received this (typically Japanese) very polite reply to my email on Monday:

Dear Sir,

We received your e-mail dated 15th Feb., 2010, thank you very much.

With reference to the model J39601, please find following.

This model J39601 seems to be produced on around 1987-1988, at our Hino factory, Japan.

Its movement is J3920, please find attached PDF.

Case & bracelet material : Stainless Steel

Glass: crystal

Water resistant to 100m

We had several type of J39 chronograph models until 1990 year, but it is regret to say that we do not have such records in hand now.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Thanks and best regards.

Orient Watch Co., Ltd.

Almost everything about this Orient 7A38 points to it having been made by Seiko for Orient.

Note:

This model J39601 seems to be produced on around 1987-1988, at our Hino factory, Japan.

.... several type of J39 chronograph models until 1990 year, but it is regret to say that we do not have such records in hand now.

Which seems a little strange, because I've seen them able to provide other Orient mechanical watch enthusiasts ....

with much more detailed information on specific calibres, going back to the 1960's, elsewhere on the 'Net, before. :unsure:

For example: http://watches.zsebehazy.com/orient_movements.htm

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Its movement is J3920, please find attached PDF.

Orient Watch Co., Ltd.

Here's the first page of that Orient J3920 PDF (printed and re-scanned, so some resolution has been lost):

OrientJ3920SpecSheet-Resized.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the specification of the Orient J3920 is identical to that of the Seiko 7A38(A) in every respect.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

That is one interesting post! Now I know who to go to if I have a Seiko question. notworthy.gif

An interesting bit of sleuthing... :hi:

Thanks (to you both). As long as the question is about Seiko 7A38's, I'll do my best. :wink2:

Dare I ask how many Seiko's this one brings the total to??

Hmmmm. I need to update my spreadsheet with a few more recent incomings ....

.... and re-organise my watch boxes to accomodate them. Running out of room. :blush:

But if you're talking Seiko 7A38's and other makes using the 7A38 movement ....

It's got to be close to (and is probably over) 70 in total now. Made up as follows:

60(+) Seiko 7A38's, (including some doubles which I need to put back on eBay);

4 Yema 7A38's; 4 Kamatz 7A38's; one Cartier Ferrari Formula '7A38' and this Orient. :)

You finally crowbar'd it from Kurt!!!

Actually, persuading Kurt to part with it wasn't that difficult. :huh:

He's not too enamoured with two-tone watches, and had, in fact traded it with a friend last year. :rolleyes:

What made the negotiations a little protracted was contacting his friend, who was away on a skiing holiday.

Still, I got there in the end. :)

Nice post mate.

Thanks, Dave. I probably wouldn't have got this far (so quickly) without all your help and advice. :thumbsup:

Have you considered therapy?

Only anti-aversion therapy to the 'Divers' versions of 7A38's ! :rofl:

It doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance to do the strip-down and clean I'd planned for this weekend. :angry:

So while I remember, here's another little observation ....

I started getting interested in 'other makes of 7A38' in early November last year.

Round about the time I made this post on SCWF: http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1257161186/Anybody+got+photos+of+the+Kamatz+or+Orient+7A38%27s+-

I still hadn't seen a photo of Kurt's Orient 7A38 (until mid-January), but that didn't stop me looking for one. :lookaround:

I started running various searches on eBay - 'Orient Quartz' seemed to work better than anything else. :unsure:

Whereas I've not seen anything vaguely like another Orient 7A38, to date ....

There is plenty more evidence of the tacit Orient / Seiko partnership ....

in the form of other collaborations on quartz chronographs out there.

Check out these two, for examples - eBay listings in Europe which ended earlier this week:

Orient7T32-eBay-Feb2010-1.jpgOrient7T32-eBay-Feb2010-2.jpg

Note the three-sub-dial layout and date window at 3'o clock (a very common configuration, in itself), but ....

.... then also note the fairly unique two crown and three pushers set-up on both these watches.

If these two aren't based on Seiko's 7T32 Cal. (Orient's rebranded version) .... well - I'm a Dutchman. :smartass:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

It doesn't look like I'm going to get the chance to do the strip-down and clean I'd planned for this weekend. :angry:

Finally got the chance to do that strip down the Orient '7A38' today. :)

My main purpose was to give it a good external clean (thereby removing 20-odd years worth of 'DNA'); :yucky:

see what might need replacing, and determine whether I could source it (either from Seiko, as equivalent parts, or possibly from Orient)

- and to discover what else I could learn about it’s construction, and whether I'd been correct in some of my earlier assumptions, or not. :unsure:

I'd noticed a very small scratch on the crystal. :( It's pretty hard to make it out, but it's just above the 40 marker on the bezel:

P1010258-Resized.jpg

Not wanting to pop the crystal out, just yet – for fear of any damage to the bezel, and not before I'd identified it's replacement …

I decided to measure it in situ, using a couple of (exactly) 8.00mm thick nylon spacers (borrowed from my crystal press):

P1010245-Resized.jpg

The crystal is 30.00mm Ø and it's exactly 2.55mm thick – with a slight 45° bevel on the top edge to clear the bezel.

Pretty much as Seiko used on many of their 7A38 'Divers'. Now all I've got to do is figure out the Seiko equivalent part number. :umnik2:

The design and shape of the watch case is very similar to that used on the Seiko 7A38-7070/-7080 'Divers'.

I never thought to take a photo of the side on view held between my fingers, instead of in the vernier caliper,

while I had my camera out - but here's a (borrowed and rotated) ex-eBay photo of a 7A38-7070 for comparison:

7A38-7070-Divers-StainlessBlack-NAT.jpg

Whereas you can see they are similar in design, the 'swage line' on the Seiko 7A38-7070 case is much more defined.

The classic Seiko 7A38 tri-compax / day-date layout is an immediately obvious giveaway.

Those of you who know your 7A38's will notice the resemblence to the all-black 7A38-7180.

(I wouldn't mind betting that they share exactly the same Seiko Tachymeter dial ring, too !)

Removing the dial face / movement and then the Tachymeter plastic dial ring spacer revealed something rather telling:

P1010313-Resized.jpg

Note the cut-outs around the perimeter of the dial face, and compare them to this (borrowed) photo of a 7A38-6010:

7A38-6010-DiversBlackGold-7.jpg

Interesting coincidence ? :huh:

Other than 'Orient' being printed in the correct font, all other scripts are in standard Seiko fonts -

Including the small dial face identifiers either side of the 6 o'clock subdial ....

Which say simply 'Japan' and 'S1 001'.

So was this the very first Seiko / Orient quartz chronograph collaboration ?

Removing the Tachymeter dial ring also exposed another dial face indicator / Orient part number which was hidden beneath it.

Better seen in this (somewhat accidentally) lightened photo of the dial face.

P1010314-Resized.jpg

The additional printing reads: J392 0017

with what are probably exactly the same Seiko parts, as used on the 7A38-702H; -7120 and -7130.

As you can see from Kurt's photo in my post #3, there was some evidence of corrosion on one of the pushers. :(

I've seen this before on other 7A38's with gold-plated pushers, and it appears to be caused by an inter-reaction between different metals.

All three were actually even worse when I got them out:

P1010345-Resized.jpg

The 'Orient' pushers I removed are on the left. To the right is a NOS Seiko p/n 80600703, used on various 7A38's, as I mentioned above.

They aren't quite exactly the same, as I'd hoped. :dontgetit:

Both are 3.50mm Ø, but those used on the Orient are 6.43mm overall length, compared to 6.30mm for this particular Seiko part.

I still believe that these are Seiko-manufactured pushers – it’s just a matter of identifying which 7A38 'Diver' (or other model) 'donated' them.

Other possibilities include the 7A38-6010 and 7A38-6109 'Divers', both of which also used gold-plated pushers.

If I can't subsequently identify and match them exactly, I may well use Seiko p/n 80600703 as replacements, anyway. :naughty:

Some of you who've dabbled with Seiko 7A38's will probably recognise the tiny pusher C&E circlips, too !

P1010379-Resized.jpg

See this other thread for Seiko (and alternate) part number information: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51988

.... how the bracelet part number identifier is stamped into the springbar link tube, in exactly the same place, and typeface that Seiko use. :wink2:

Couple of other observations about the bracelet, which I forgot to mention in that earlier post. :blush:

The gunmetal coated clasp cover isn't signed Orient (nor anything else), but the Z-fold clasp is typically signed 'Stainless Steel Japan'.

The bracelet's construction is classic 80's Seiko folded link, right down to the familiar arrows and removal holes on the adjustment links.

P1010335-Resized.jpg

Interestingly, the gold-plated ornaments on the bracelet are integral to the main links, rather than separate stampings:

P1010332-Resized.jpg

Where the bracelet has a few scratches and rubbing wear between link sections, it shows gold plating under the gunmetal coating –

which means that the bracelet was first gold plated, then a further gunmetal coating added on top afterwards.

We had several type of J39 chronograph models until 1990 year ....

Orient Watch Co., Ltd.

Makes me wonder if another finish variant of this particular Orient J39 might have been an all over SGP gold-plated version. :lookaround:

But that would have put it in direct competition with Seiko's own 7A38-6109 (see: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51242 )

So somehow, I doubt it. :nono:

I should have been putting it back together by now, but first I want to see if I can source correct replacements for the crystal and pushers.

I need to polish those few scratch-marks and pitting out of the case-back, before I reassemble it, too.

There's plenty of metal there – and the Orient stampings are really deep, so shouldn't pose a problem. :wink2:

P1010405-Resized.jpg

More to follow, later. :sweatdrop:

That is one interesting post! Now I know who to go to if I have a Seiko question. notworthy.gif

Now that's what I call a post ! :rofl:

quote name='SEIKO7A38Fan' date='02 March 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1267556550' post='536070']

As you can see from Kurt's photo in my post #3, there was some evidence of corrosion on one of the pushers. :(

I've seen this before on other 7A38's with gold-plated pushers, and it appears to be caused by an inter-reaction between different metals.

All three were actually even worse when I got them out:

P1010345-Resized.jpg

The 'Orient' pushers I removed are on the left. To the right is a NOS Seiko p/n 80600703, used on various 7A38's, as I mentioned above.

They aren't quite exactly the same, as I'd hoped. :dontgetit:

Both are 3.50mm Ø, but those used on the Orient are 6.43mm overall length, compared to 6.30mm for this particular Seiko part.

I still believe that these are Seiko-manufactured pushers – it’s just a matter of identifying which 7A38 'Diver' (or other model) 'donated' them.

Other possibilities include the 7A38-6010 and 7A38-6109 'Divers', both of which also used gold-plated pushers.

If I can't subsequently identify and match them exactly, I may well use Seiko p/n 80600703 as replacements, anyway. :naughty:

Some of you who've dabbled with Seiko 7A38's will probably recognise the tiny pusher C&E circlips, too !

P1010379-Resized.jpg

See this other thread for Seiko (and alternate) part number information: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51988

.... how the bracelet part number identifier is stamped into the springbar link tube, in exactly the same place, and typeface that Seiko use. :wink2:

Couple of other observations about the bracelet, which I forgot to mention in that earlier post. :blush:

The gunmetal coated clasp cover isn't signed Orient (nor anything else), but the Z-fold clasp is typically signed 'Stainless Steel Japan'.

The bracelet's construction is classic 80's Seiko folded link, right down to the familiar arrows and removal holes on the adjustment links.

P1010335-Resized.jpg

Interestingly, the gold-plated ornaments on the bracelet are integral to the main links, rather than separate stampings:

P1010332-Resized.jpg

Where the bracelet has a few scratches and rubbing wear between link sections, it shows gold plating under the gunmetal coating –

which means that the bracelet was first gold plated, then a further gunmetal coating added on top afterwards.

We had several type of J39 chronograph models until 1990 year ....

Orient Watch Co., Ltd.

Makes me wonder if another finish variant of this particular Orient J39 might have been an all over SGP gold-plated version. :lookaround:

But that would have put it in direct competition with Seiko's own 7A38-6109 (see: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51242 )

So somehow, I doubt it. :nono:

I should have been putting it back together by now, but first I want to see if I can source correct replacements for the crystal and pushers.

I need to polish those few scratch-marks and pitting out of the case-back, before I reassemble it, too.

There's plenty of metal there – and the Orient stampings are really deep, so shouldn't pose a problem. :wink2:

P1010405-Resized.jpg

Now that's what I call a post ! :rofl:

SORRY! Meant to add, great post, great forum with alot of excellent contributers! Have been reading a few threads lately specific to 7a38's as i have two of these watches and wanted a little more info! Certainly getting that on the forum after looking at alot of older(and some recent) posts. Many thanks Paul

SORRY! Meant to add, great post, great forum with alot of excellent contributers!

Many thanks Paul.

Thanks in return, Paul - from one to another .... and Welcome to the 7A38 section of RLT ! :rltb:

.... but first I want to see if I can source correct replacements for the crystal and pushers.

Quick update.

The Orient 7A38 is still in pieces, at the time of writing.

The case-back re-finished quite nicely, without too much loss of depth to the stampings.

I've looked at two other similar Seiko gold-plated pushers, but neither were quite the right dimensions.

I've got a couple more different part numbers incoming ....

But unless they are any closer, it looks like I may well resort to using the above.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Thanks for the welcome Paul! I'll watch the Orient thread with interest, I'm sure its going to look great when finished! I see you listed the p/n for the all gold pusher in you photo! I have a gold/silver 7a38 (7270) which needs a new pusher but the pusher I need is silver with a gold plated top only! Would you or any of the other forum members be able to tell me what the p/n for this part might be? Many thanks Paul

I see you listed the p/n for the all gold pusher in you photo! I have a gold/silver 7a38 (7270) which needs a new pusher ....

Would you or any of the other forum members be able to tell me what the p/n for this part might be? Many thanks Paul

I listed A Seiko part number for one particular gold plated pusher assembly, Paul.

There are at least half a dozen different gold-plated pushers used in the 7A38's range ....

.... with an equivalent number of plain stainless and a few black chrome plated ones.

I've recently started measuring them (each time I strip a set out) or buy new ones ....

to get the exact dimensions. The differences are usually fractions of a millimeter ....

but there are differing diameters; different strokes and different seals used in them.

Where they share a similar application, there does seem some logic to Seiko's part numbering system.

For example, the 7A38-7190; -7270; -727A/B; -7280/-7289/-728A families of 7A38 models

.... all effectively share the same set of pushers - the last digit signifies the colour / finish.

Stainless is p/n Seiko p/n 80601809 and Gold-Plated is p/n 80601801

.... but the pusher I need is silver with a gold plated top only!

Sorry, Paul.

There is no such thing as a stainless pusher with a gold top. Well not on any 7A38-7270 I know.

I presume you are either looking at the stainless pusher housing (which is actually part of the watch case) ....

.... or the plating on the sides of your gold-plated pusher have worn through to the base metal (stainless) underneath.

You can still get these Seiko G-P pushers p/n 80601801 from Cousins UK.

Order using the same part number, but prefixed with SEI. £3.85 + VAT each. :)

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Thanks again for the info! You are right about the pushers, they are meant to be all gold in colour. Found this post on the forum showing my watch http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52662 The gold on the sides of my pushers has worn away giving the impression that they were two coloured. I,II order a gold set from cousins along with a new crown and crystal(couple of small scratches) when I can work out the p/n's and have a go at restoring it to its former glory! Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

I,ll order a gold set from cousins along with a new crown and crystal(couple of small scratches) when I can work out the p/n's and have a go at restoring it to its former glory! Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

The Seiko p/n for the gold-plated crown for your 7A38-7270 is 45M74NA1.

I've bought them from Jules Borel in the States, previously, but ....

I've just checked and Cousins UK stock them under their p/n S15062.

That's just the crown (with sealing O-ring fitted) - no stem attached.

If you want to fit a new stem with your new crown - it's Seiko p/n 0354728 -

But it will need trimming to length. I've nearly always re-used the old stem. :blush:

Pukka Seiko crystal part number for the 31.00mm Ø crystal for a 7A38-7270 is 310W62JN01.

Jules Borel suggest another 'generic' Seiko p/n as a replacement: 310W62GN00, but it's marginally thicker.

I stopped using genuine Seiko Hardlex crystals in the 7A38-726x; -727x and -728x models long ago.

Initially I used Cousins 'own brand' (Japanese made) mineral glass - their p/n F150CMH310 ....

But later switched to Sternkreuz's hardened mineral crystals - as good as Seiko Hardlex IMHO ....

And about 25% of the price !! Only downside is that they don't have that small bevel on the underside ....

Which can make them slightly more difficult to fit, if you are using a new crystal gasket.

Sternkreuz p/n is MSM310 - needless to say, also available from .... :wink2:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Thanks again for the info! You are right about the pushers, they are meant to be all gold in colour.

I,ll order a gold set from Cousins ....

I forgot to mention, Paul ....

If you order (SEI) 80601801 gold-plated pushers from Cousins (same applies with Jules Borel) ....

The pusher comes pre-assembled; fitted with the spring, O-Ring gasket and washer ....

But NOT with a replacement circlip !!

Should you think you might need any (they are easy to lose), read this: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51988&view=findpost&p=533815

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Found this post on the forum showing my watch http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=52662

I've just given Dave's (DMP) original thread on the subject of that watch a little bump: http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51210

There's some more, better detailed photos of the same watch, here on SCWF: http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1263962960/

.... when I can work out the p/n's and have a go at restoring it to its former glory! Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

If you want to validate any of the part number information I've given you in the previous posts ....

Click on this link: http://service.seiko.com.au/pls/seiko/f?p=104:20:1530569491260648

Type 7A38 into the [Calibre] field; 7270 into the [Case No.] field and click on the 'Search' button.

Then click on one of the 'View Detail' buttons against SAA094J1/J8/Or J9. SAA094J doesn't give descriptions. :thumbsdown:

Bear in mind what I wrote previously about the pusher 'sub-assemblies' ....

.... when purchased as spares under Seiko p/n 80601801 from Cousins or Jules Borel.

In Seiko's parts lists (they are NOT multi-level bills of materials, as one might expect) ....

Part numbers for the pusher spring; O-Ring seal and washer are also shown separately. :wink2:

If you want to give me your email address, I have 5 or 6 sheets of Excel data on 7A38 part numbers and 'alternatives'.

Last thought. If you decide to follow my advice and order an 'aftermarket' 31.00mm Ø crystal ....

You might want to order one of each - Cousins own brand and a Sternkreuz. The former are dead cheap !! :wink:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Well what can I say Paul! Many thanks again for the very detailed info. I'll set up an account with cousins and a few others maybe and get these parts ordered. After looking at DMPs thread and your latest post and your fine collection(WOW) I may have to buy a few more! I do have another 7A38(TOP LEFT IN YOUR CASE) aswell as a couple of 7A28s. I will follow your advice and get the two crystals, not having replaced one before I may need the two!! I'd love to give you my email so you could let me have those part no.s but I couldnt see a way to contact you to give you my email other than on forum!