• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mrteatime

The Most Over Rated Watch Is............?

:D

now...no fighting, yelling, or throwing stones.....but, in your opinion which watch is the most over-rated? and why?

mine is........vintage rolex sub 5512, and why? well my brother in law was lucky enough to have one left to him by his dad......and when i actually saw it and handled it i was.....well....smaller then i imagined, lighter, and just sort of, well.....not what i was expecting!

now...no fighting, yelling, or throwing stones.....but, in your opinion which watch is the most over-rated? and why?

mine is........vintage rolex sub 5512, and why? well my brother in law was lucky enough to have one left to him by his dad......and when i actually saw it and handled it i was.....well....smaller then i imagined, lighter, and just sort of, well.....not what i was expecting!

erm............brietling!! maybe the older ones are ok, the new ones are far too blingy for me

erm............brietling!! maybe the older ones are ok, the new ones are far too blingy for me

now then andy!!!!!!!! how you doing???? :D good to see you mate :D

just popped in, avin a browse, see what I still can't afford :thumbsup:

make sure you make more of a habit of it.........:D

so, has that nasty rash gone then? :scared:

make sure you make more of a habit of it.........:D

so, has that nasty rash gone then? :scared:

well!!................yes and no :bull*******: :to_become_senile: :offtopic2:

Monsters :starwars:

Dare I say the Seiko SKX007?? OK, it's only really the bracelet that lets it down, but I so wanted one... the I got one... then I sold one!

Still, isn't that the story of just about every watch I've ever clapped eyes on? :lol:

Oh, and can we add 'most underrated watch' to the replies? (As I am in the market for something new. Of course.)

Hublot... About the only great thing about this company was their sponsorship of the "Jet Man" across the channel.

Any watch that costs more then a fiver and is less accurate then cheapest chinese quartz with hello kitty sticker on :)

On serious note, I don't think that there are "in-general" over rated watches, you get what you like and if you like it then it's worth it. There are plenty of watches that surely ain't worth it for me, but I'd hate to label them as over rated if there are plenty of people who like them. Actually most of the watch industry is over rated in my mind (specially swatch group), but that doesn't mean that those makers didn't make good watches, simply that the perceived value of the greater public is far above the "more objective value decided by me" ;)

Is it to be one you have actually tried on or seen as opposed to something you just think is overrated even though you have never seen or tried one :D

Audemars Piguet

Sorry but they just don't do it for me at all.

Seiko Monster [whisper mode on] (& the Proplof)[whisper mode off]

Quickly dons flak jacket plus helmet & jumps in nearest nuclear shelter :P

Rolex. They aren't bad watches, but most would give them more credit they they deserve. Apparently, they are superlative chronometers, but superlative compared to what? Hmmm...

Patek Philippe. Again, these are fabulous watches, but there is much too much hype around this brand. It's not even about the watch anymore...See a new model? buy it and flip it for a handsome 20% profit. Going to buy from the AD? oh my! don't cut the plastic bag because that will ruin the mintiness of it. Oh wait! Patek won't allow a watch to leave an AD without a cut plastic bag to discourage grey market. Want a coveted model like how the 5001? well apparently, you need to write a letter to patek to express interest and to show that you are not a grey market dealer and that your collection consists of at least 10 "beginner" models.

Now..that is not to say I wouldn't want a Patek...

On a similar note - under-rated...in the pretty costly range - older late 90s/early 00s JLC master control series stuff - Master Moon, Grande taille, Reserve de Marche, Master date....all stuff that is truly superb, especially the Master Moon. To me the old stuff is much nicer than the new series...but who likes 37mm these days...its all about the 40mm+

im not going to say rolex as im sure they are great watches,and if i turn into a **** in the future and get some money i would buy the new lv it is lush.i probably wouldnt wear it much and to me thats pointless so kinda defeats the object really.

so far i would have to say out of all the watches ive come into contact with 2 makes that fit the bill would be zodiacs and orients.zodiacs look lovely on the net and in pictures its only when you get them on youre wrist and you quickly realise they are really disapointing and plain.orients are so dull it leaves me cold every time i see one.

so i cant believe im going to say this as its the one watch ive aspired to get ever since i got into watches and liked the films i saw it in first.it is the omega seamaster,my friend rich had one bought for him last year following the birth of his son and like me he had always wanted one,but he might have been unlucky or whatever but his one broke down and was constantly being sent back.so before he exchanged it for a tag ,i had a wear of it for a while and it didnt have the oomph i thought it would didnt do anything for me.

Im not sure how overrated works (and yes I can still hear Mac ;) :D ) but are we talking price or just fanboy love? surely the most die hard fans are the overraters... hmm... I used to think that would go to Rolex owners but I reckon overtime the Seiko boys have got complacent and are ahead in the fanboy stakes, perhaps its the joy of modding them? So to me the most overrated (and we let then get away with it) is the seiko monster. I never thought id say that, but some guys seem to think a few of the gods wear them perhaps! LOL

Any watch bought to make the wearer feel superior to everyone else, other than those wearing the same brand (or more prestigious).

Watches aren’t elitist, people are.

Seiko Monster [whisper mode on] (& the Proplof)[whisper mode off]

Quickly dons flak jacket plus helmet & jumps in nearest nuclear shelter :P

Room in the shelter for two Mach? I'm with you (specially the professional plunger):D [That sounds so much better in English eh? :rofl: Professional Plunger - must wear mine to clear the sink :rofl2: ]