UK Watch Forum banner

Moonphase Watches

4K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  ibaranenko 
#1 ·
I have always wanted a Moonphase watch, although the ones I have seen have always been out of my price range.

What would you recommend as a Moonphase watch?

#3 ·
I just wait till I have to shave my palms :assassin:

Then I howl, and avoid garlic! :jump:

Never quite understood any value in the complications - I mean, what DO you use it for?

#4 ·
A moonphase dial serves no practical purpose for 99.99% of people, it just looks nice on some watches, a retro touch.

Back in the days before streetlighting and decent roads, a moonphase dial was useful for anyone venturing out or returning home at night - it told you whether you'd have enough moonlight to find your way.

#8 ·
Mmm, five Oris' or one Zenith, I'm a quantity over quality kind of guy, I'll take the Oris and four others.
:partytime:

Think I'll have to keep an eye open for a mechanical moon-phase myself. All of mine are quartz. Not that I'd part with them of course, but I do like the look of that Oris, I've not seen that particular model before. Its tempting me to look for one myself. :)

#17 ·
For all those who can't see the point of a moonphase complication I ask you this,

In a world where most people have a mobile phone with the time flashing on the screen,

In a world where you can purchase a quartz LCD time and date chronograph with alarm for less than a tenner, which by the way is manufactured to such a high quality it exceeds COSC timing standards,

In a world where the time is accurately splatted across most media formats and is sat there in the bottom right corner of the screen your looking at now.

Can you see the point of owning a mechanical watch?

If you can, then for me it is the same reason i like the moonphase complication.

I too can't see the point of them, but i like them.

Regards Steve

#20 ·
Boy, those JLCs and IWCs are lovely.

Lately, searching for a new timepi3ce, I've been seeing a lot of watches with what LOOOKS like a moon dial, but it's actually only an "AM/PM" indicator. I ask you, does a watch on a wrist on a breathing person need to tell whether it's day or night? I don't get it, but I'm sure some very fine timepieces have this (done better than the cheap lot).

For all those who can't see the point of a moonphase complication I ask you this,...
LOL Hear, hear!!

#18 ·

"In a world where the time is accurately splatted across most media formats and is sat there in the bottom right corner of the screen your looking at now."

Top right for me, Mac

:p

For years I didn't wear a watch, Quite liberating. Now tied down with mobile phones and the rest.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would love to have a moonphase watch and is probably my ultimate watch to own but most of the ones I have seen are a serious amount of money like the PP, JLC and the IWC ones. I have seen a Chinese one ..Seagull.......but really it would have to be a self winder....and I like the idea of having the day and month as well as the date as I often don't remember what day of the week it is...... :rolleyes:

151842a.jpg
IWC20GST20PEP20SS.jpg

Pequignet4jpg.jpg
11431-1.jpg

11977-2.jpg
M199S-transpng.png

#27 ·
Oh, I woke up and did a little searching on Sea-Gull ... they are one of teh movement suppliers to Stuhrling ... but much more attractive and "classical." The M199s pictured above is < US$500 from their US web site. There's a exuberant and very happy review of it on the Watchuseek forums (hope that's not sacrilegious mentioning them here), poster saying "folks this is a $1000 watch...."

Here's another pretty one (link is to US site):

20100116021353136.png

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gevrils which can be had for cheap at Sierra Trading Post (sorry to sound like a shill, but I've been a loyal customer for 10+ years). Nothing as nice as the JLC or the superb RLT, and a quartz, but....

ProductImages_1917C_01_tif_7b340b44ff931855.jpg
ProductImages_2414X_01_tif_4c690acd9f0b17de.jpg

Hey! I'm not a "Pin pallet" anymore! Yay!

#35 ·
With regards to the pointlessness of having a moonphase watch, I agree that watches in general are pretty unnecessary with everyone owning mobile phones but it is all about the looks.

Chrono watches are the same with their many dials that will never be used. When I was recently looking at chronos, the missus said I can have one if I could tell her what all the dials were for and when I would use them - I don't have one yet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.