• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Andy the Squirrel

Best Watch To Into Space

Quartz, and particularly LCD, are however unsuitable for taking outside.

What happens to Quartz, and LCD watches outside?

The simple answer: They get cold.

Later,

William

We all know the Omega Speedmaster went to the moon, but a lot of other watches have been into space including Mickey Mouse watches!

What would be the best watch to take into space these days?

Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk ? :astro:

Check out eBay item # 260852410289 .... going relatively cheap, for the moment. :lookaround:

SeikoSpacewalk_07.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_08.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_25.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_02.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_16.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwj073TLlww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgdwhVprIeA

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Yep, not sure if its true or not, but while Armstrong was wearing his Omega Speedie on the moon, Aldran was wearing a Wakman. Or so the storey goes.

Roger

James

I think Neil left his Speedy on the lander,and only Buzz wore his on the moon walk,i read it was something to do with using it as a second back up chrono to the one on the lander?,i think Buzz's watch went missing or stolen soon after...i wonder what that would be worth now. :)

Colonel William Pogue stated that his Seiko 6139 auto worked fine in zero-g on Skylab. He used it during training, and was only issued an Omega very shortly before the mission. He'd got so used to using the Seiko he snuck it along with him on the trip and used it to time engine firing etc.

I've seen pics of Poljot Sturmanskies worn by Cosmonauts, and also Poljot Stadiums (Stadia?)

I believe the Russians could take pretty much any watch they wanted along on missions, as long as they passed certain tests

NASA astronauts have always been allowed to take their timepieces with them into space, as part of their personal effects. The reason automatic chronographs were not considered as mission watches, when NASA was test during the 60's, was the fact none existed at the time.

Later,

William

Colonel William Pogue stated that his Seiko 6139 auto worked fine in zero-g on Skylab. He used it during training, and was only issued an Omega very shortly before the mission. He'd got so used to using the Seiko he snuck it along with him on the trip and used it to time engine firing etc.

I've posted this piece about Col. William Pogue before, and it still makes interesting reading...it seems that a Japanese watch was the first automatic in space.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk ? :astro:

Check out eBay item # 260852410289 .... going relatively cheap, for the moment. :lookaround:

SeikoSpacewalk_07.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_08.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_25.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_02.jpg

SeikoSpacewalk_16.jpg

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260852410289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_15065wt_1026

Auction ended last night after 47 bids at $13,876.00 - equivalent to £8,785.61 - less than half the original retail price ($28K).

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan