• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

Hello to all

I have always found the best source of information to be forums, I first started using them when I got my BMW, the information was invaluable and have since become a member of a really good cyber community. I am really looking forward to getting some good opinions/advice from you guys and of course the usual banter

Anyway (back on thread), I have had my Rolex for about 5 years and enjoy it as much now as I did when I first bought it, however I am now in the market for another piece. My budget is a bit up in the air, but top end would be £3k’ish. I recently tried on an Omega Planet Ocean and I loved it, it was the one with the black rubber strap with orange stitching. The price of it worked, but the only thing is that I was concerned that Omega is viewed as a 2nd tier brand. In my very very limited knowledge of watches I thought things like Rolex, Breitling etc were the things to buy.

It would be really good and helpful to hear what you guys think of the Omega brand

Many thanks

MB

* I would post a picture of my Rolex but I cant figure out how? If the picture is on my desktop as a jpeg what should I do?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the compulsion to try & classify watches into some kind of league table is unnecessarily competitive & opens a huge can of worms

Judging a brand is purely & personally subjective.

Do you like the design?

Do you think it's value for money?

Do you buy into the brand image?

End of!

As for posting photos - there's a button in the toolbar and some useful advice in the photography section - welcome.

I feel that Omega is second tier, but trying to reach first tier with their pricing. However, they are very popular, so are easy to sell on if you get bored. I wouldn't buy a new one (unless I got a big discount), but I would consider second hand. I feel the same way about most watches, whatever the price - the retail mark up is just too high.

Something that has always bugged me - how come an old Omega (pre the 1970's "time that fashion forgot" period) sells for so much more than other brands of similar quality? You can pay 4 times as much for a 60's Omega than you would for a similar Zenith.

Edited by clockworks

I agree that you should try to view a watch based on whether you like it, cost etc. but the reality is that a lot of people base it on the 'brand perception'. rolex and omega are both very highly perceived brands (both have a lot of history... and big marketing budgets!) ... rolex is just that bit more 'special' i would say; partly because they are more expensive so fewer people have them. i would put the likes of audemars piguet, jlc and patek up there with rolex as well. i'd put breitling and omega in the brand-level below, with a range of others.

also bear in mind there will be watch brands that rate highly in the watch community (eg Sinn and Glycine) but don't really register at all with the general population. And even within brands there is variation; seiko known to the watch community as maker of excellent in-house movements with some seriously good pieces (marine master and Grand Seikos for example) that compete on a quality basis with many high-end swiss watches; to the general public, they're pretty much a generic maker of low to mid end watches on the high street (which obviously they are as well).

Potentially a never ending conversation because it is very subjective...

and welcome to RLT btw!

I think the compulsion to try & classify watches into some kind of league table is unnecessarily competitive & opens a huge can of worms

Judging a brand is purely & personally subjective.

Do you like the design?

Do you think it's value for money?

Do you buy into the brand image?

End of!

As for posting photos - there's a button in the toolbar and some useful advice in the photography section - welcome.

I agree in the most part, thanks

re - the image, the 'add image icon' ask for a url ?, I just want to add a jpeg

re - the image, the 'add image icon' ask for a url ?, I just want to add a jpeg

You can't just 'add a jpeg' to this forum.

You need to first upload the picture to an online storage facility (photobucket.com is a good one) then post the hosting URL in your post.

I feel if you think Omega are a 2nd tier brand, then the company you keep will probably have the same idea about them. So if you were to own one you wouldn't be happy with it.

It doesn't really matter what our opinions on the board are as we're into watches and will have views about various brands that differ from your friends, which is what really matters to you most likely.

I feel if you think Omega are a 2nd tier brand, then the company you keep will probably have the same idea about them. So if you were to own one you wouldn't be happy with it.

It doesn't really matter what our opinions on the board are as we're into watches and will have views about various brands that differ from your friends, which is what really matters to you most likely.

No, to be honest my inner circle of acquaintance’s don’t really give a toss about watches and their opinion counts for zero.

I guess I am looking for people who are knowledgeable about watches to let me have their views on Omega’s. I know we should always buy what we want and what we like, but I think it is human nature to want to know what other people think

Edited by mb london

Hello to all

I have always found the best source of information to be forums, I first started using them when I got my BMW, the information was invaluable and have since become a member of a really good cyber community. I am really looking forward to getting some good opinions/advice from you guys and of course the usual banter

Anyway (back on thread), I have had my Rolex for about 5 years and enjoy it as much now as I did when I first bought it, however I am now in the market for another piece. My budget is a bit up in the air, but top end would be £3k’ish. I recently tried on an Omega Planet Ocean and I loved it, it was the one with the black rubber strap with orange stitching. The price of it worked, but the only thing is that I was concerned that Omega is viewed as a 2nd tier brand. In my very very limited knowledge of watches I thought things like Rolex, Breitling etc were the things to buy.

It would be really good and helpful to hear what you guys think of the Omega brand

Many thanks

MB

* I would post a picture of my Rolex but I cant figure out how? If the picture is on my desktop as a jpeg what should I do?

I think this begs the question as to what makes a watch company 1st tier, 2nd tier etc?

Exclusivity, desirability, populartity or Price?

Putting my cards on the table, I have several Omegas, the newest of which is now over 10 years old, I prefer the older styles to their newer ones.

I like them and I'm not concerned if what tier they from :rolleyes:.

Most of the everyday watches I wear are much lower cost, but none the less useable for that!

Best regards,

Defender :astro:.

TBH I think if you have a thought of Omega being second tier then its not the brand for you.

IMO I think the thought of Omega being 2nd tier is preposterous. Having said that I prefer vintage over many of the new models which seem a bit OTT to me, and I dont like the PO at all. The Moon watch is a classic as is the SMP, and they match Rolex in quality and build

This one was my dad's. The copperised movement is superb and the watch is a delight to wear.

I'm a bit fed up with watches that feel like an ice puck on your wrist

CONNIE2.jpg?t=1273153555

Edited by Griff

Surely it has to depend on your own criteria?

If you mean timekeeping capability then its as good as any other watch, if you want a first rate watch, then a cheap quartz LCD is as good as any Omega/Rolex/etc. And considerably better value for money.

If you are concerned for build quality and/or style then surely Omega is on a par with Rolex and other high-end watches. The price difference can be explained by the disparity in advertising budgets almost.

Personally, I've always thought that the high-end Tissot watches are VERY underrated, but as a collector I'm more than happy to pick them up cheap! :partytime:

sorry mate, but your a snob.....ive got seiko's here that are more accurate (and lets face it thats what we wear them for) then most rolex.

it sounds to me that you have some issues dude...perhaps you should go and buy a Klaus Kobec.....mmmm nice.......

Or how about a seiko springdrive diver?

grandseikodiver.jpg

although this is out of your price range.....

sorry mate, but your a snob.....ive got seiko's here that are more accurate (and lets face it thats what we wear them for) then most rolex.

it sounds to me that you have some issues dude...perhaps you should go and buy a Klaus Kobec.....mmmm nice.......

grandseikodiver.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome Mrtitime. What issues are you suggesting I have?

Wow, its taken me all an hour to unearth the sad geeks who’s only success in life is found on forums where no one know their identity. Well done buddy :grin:

Thanks for the warm welcome Mrtitime. What issues are you suggesting I have?

Wow, its taken me all an hour to unearth the sad geeks who’s only success in life is found on forums where no one know their identity. Well done buddy :grin:

Seems a little harsh?

You may not have liked Mrteatimes answer, but you asked for opinions. You can't subsequently complain if you get an opinion you don't like.

As with any enthusiast, its difficult to get an un-biased opinion when you are talking about one of their favourite topics of discussion. That hardly marks any of us as geeks.

Lighten up. This is a forum for watch enthusiasts, not for baiting members into arguments.

To me, any manufacturer that designs and makes its own movements has to be considered in the top flight. Is IWC a better watch simply because the make fewer watches than Omega? Why?

I have had a couple of Omega's and been impressed - i would have one over a Breitling like a shot, but that is personal taste.

welcome to the forum, and buy what makes you smile.

(PS - if you are going to put brands in tiers, which is an interesting debate, would Rolex make the top tier? Wouldn't Patek, Glasshutte, Breguet etc demote the rollie into tier two?)

Edited by scottswatches

He asked for an opinion on a watch maker, not a judgement about himself. It should be pretty easy to distinguish between the two when responding to a perfectly reasonable enquiry. "Geek" is a pretty mild response to "your (sic) a snob" and "you have issues".

He asked for an opinion on a watch maker, not a judgement about himself. It should be pretty easy to distinguish between the two when responding to a perfectly reasonable enquiry. "Geek" is a pretty mild response to "your (sic) a snob" and "you have issues".

I don't believe I used the word 'snob'. I used the word enthusiast as I felt it was descriptive enough to get my point over :partytime:

grandseikodiver.jpg

:eek:

Feenix, I'm not sure how you have managed to misconstrue my point about Mr Teatime's response :lookaround:

Guys, for the avoidance of doubt, I am purely after opinions on the Omega brand – good bad or indifferent from people who are into watches. Simples :thumbsup:

Feenix, I'm not sure how you have managed to misconstrue my point about Mr Teatime's response :lookaround:

Sorry bud, my mistake.

Reading back through I can see that it was not, as I first thought, a response to my reply. I misconstrued as it was following on from a post I'd made, without quoting any other post, my bad. :wheelchair: