• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mb london

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

Guys, for the avoidance of doubt, I am purely after opinions on the Omega brand – good bad or indifferent from people who are into watches. Simples :thumbsup:

I think Omega make some nice watches :)

Here's what the 'Watch Snob' at 'Askmen.com' thinks of them:

"What’s happening to Omega is what I like to call the Freshman 15 syndrome. Just like so many of you Americans do when you attend university, Omega has become fat and ugly, a lesser version of itself. The brand has recently gotten a good look at itself in the mirror and it's seen that it's nothing more than an overgrown, over-promoted, slow-moving relic of what was once a great brand. Omega used to be on par with Rolex -- above the likes of IWC and Jaeger-LeCoultre -- and now that's as laughable as seeing an American turn down a plate of French fries. I suspect Omega is simply trying to become as un-American as possible by limiting distribution and upping the entry point".

Cheers :)

Well, if we're going to quote The Watch Snob on Omega, then how about Panerai?

I am taking a week off from answering your common -- and sometimes downright silly -- questions to get something off my chest. Each and every week I receive dozens of e-mails that sound a lot like this:

“I’m a recent graduate of state school X and I am about to start a career in some boring, suited-up field. I want a watch that I think will give me a personality even though it’s apparent to all that I do not have one. Should I buy a Panerai? I once saw a guy driving a BMW with a hot blond sitting shotgun wearing a Panerai or a Breitling (they’re huge and flashy) -- and that’s how you attract attention, right? Please advise, Watch Snob.â€

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? It should because you probably wrote me one of these messages. However, as of right now, I will not be answering anything that sounds remotely close to the above. Get over the hackneyed, mainstream choices and move on to something real. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, worse than a young man who wears a Panerai watch. These watches were cool five years ago, and even then they were only cool if you were Italian (and I don’t mean Jersey Shore Italian -- I mean actually a resident of Italy). Sure, Sheamus had a Radiomir back in 2004, but after one week of wrist time and the type of attention he received, he ended up trading it in for a vintage Rolex Submariner. If you think wearing a Panerai is cool in the year 2010, you probably also think you invented the boat shoe and the ironic mustache trends.

If you want to know what I think is on the polar opposite end of the authentic and cool spectrum, look at anything from A. Lange & Sohne. This German uber-manufacture is making the best men’s watches in the world right now. Its Datograph is likely the greatest chronograph movement ever made, and it’s just as great to look at as it is to feel start, stop and reset in your hand. If you’re a man of distinction, a man who really has the world by its throat, you need a Lange on your wrist. A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns.

Now that I have told you what I think about Panerai once and for all, and also who I believe to be the ne plus ultra of the horological world, can we stop with the recommendation questions?

Sincerely,

The Watch Snob

:D

I feel that Omega is second tier, but trying to reach first tier with their pricing. However, they are very popular, so are easy to sell on if you get bored. I wouldn't buy a new one (unless I got a big discount), but I would consider second hand. I feel the same way about most watches, whatever the price - the retail mark up is just too high.

Something that has always bugged me - how come an old Omega (pre the 1970's "time that fashion forgot" period) sells for so much more than other brands of similar quality? You can pay 4 times as much for a 60's Omega than you would for a similar Zenith.

take away all the rolex hype as ive stated before and you have a better watch

one that keeps better time and being 45mm IMO more visually stunning.

i recently sold my new sub after 2 weeks as it felt cheap compared to the PO its a no brainer , get one and save a couple of grand.

45mm case

beautifully embossed back

AR coating

far superior bracelet

600m WR

co-axial movement ( less servicing)

HE VALVE( LIKE THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!, )

id stick my neck out and say if you got one youd look at your rolly in a different light.

Edited by ollyhock

To me, any manufacturer that designs and makes its own movements has to be considered in the top flight.

That`ll include Vostok then :notworthy: :D

Back to the OP`s question I have to agree with what others, have said don`t worry about what `tier` abrand is just buy what you like :wink2:

name='mb london' date='06 May 2010 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1273155792' post='553736'

Wow, its taken me all an hour to unearth the sad geeks who’s only success in life is found on forums where no one know their identity. Well done buddy :grin:

Being an anonymous newbie yourself, you are in no position to make such comments .

Edited by BlueKnight

sorry mate, but your a snob.....ive got seiko's here that are more accurate (and lets face it thats what we wear them for) then most rolex.

it sounds to me that you have some issues dude...perhaps you should go and buy a Klaus Kobec.....mmmm nice.......

Or how about a seiko springdrive diver?

grandseikodiver.jpg

although this is out of your price range.....

Thanks for the warm welcome Mrtitime. What issues are you suggesting I have?

Wow, its taken me all an hour to unearth the sad geeks who’s only success in life is found on forums where no one know their identity. Well done buddy :grin:

a geek? moi? :bag:

listen mate....by suggesting that "are omega a 2nd tier brand" sounds to me that your a snob......what difference does it make if you like it or not?? does it bother you that other people will judge you on what your wearing? Omega are a fine brand, and make some class watches, with a proven record for making outstanding time pieces. The fact also, that they supply (or the company that owns omega) watch movts to Breitling, and dozens of other swiss makers, and seems to be the movt of choice for a lot of boutique watch companies would suggest that others feel the same way to......as does our host, who also puts the ETA 2824-2 into a lot of his watches

Now, if you buy into the whole rolex myth, then by all means go and spend your 3k on a pre-owned rolex....you'll get a fine watch, but the New omega will be just as well made (with a much better bracelet imvho)

oh.....and its teatime....im sure it was a typo :D although i can live with titime too.....

i suppose the fact that you own a BMW and choose to visit a BMW forum doesn't make you a geek or a :artist:

:grin:

Edited by PhilM

sorry mate, but your a snob.....ive got seiko's here that are more accurate (and lets face it thats what we wear them for) then most rolex.

it sounds to me that you have some issues dude...perhaps you should go and buy a Klaus Kobec.....mmmm nice.......

Or how about a seiko springdrive diver?

grandseikodiver.jpg

although this is out of your price range.....

Thanks for the warm welcome Mrtitime. What issues are you suggesting I have?

a geek? moi? :bag:

listen mate....by suggesting that "are omega a 2nd tier brand" sounds to me that your a snob......what difference does it make if you like it or not?? does it bother you that other people will judge you on what your wearing? Omega are a fine brand, and make some class watches, with a proven record for making outstanding time pieces. The fact also, that they supply (or the company that owns omega) watch movts to Breitling, and dozens of other swiss makers, and seems to be the movt of choice for a lot of boutique watch companies would suggest that others feel the same way to......as does our host, who also puts the ETA 2824-2 into a lot of his watches

Now, if you buy into the whole rolex myth, then by all means go and spend your 3k on a pre-owned rolex....you'll get a fine watch, but the New omega will be just as well made (with a much better bracelet imvho)

oh.....and its teatime....im sure it was a typo :D although i can live with titime too.....

i suppose the fact that you own a BMW and choose to visit a BMW forum doesn't make you a geek or a :wheelchair:

Thanks for your constructive comments, you see - it wasn’t that difficult was it (pat on the back for you). To be clear I did not say that Omega are were a 2nd tier brand, I merely said that I was concerned that they was viewed as a 2nd tier brand.

Anyway, you continue to be brave from behind your keyboard, very big of you.

Edited by PhilM

Omega is a Luxury watch brand, however I have heard it being referred to as Faux luxury watch brand, perhaps unfairly

I think Breitling's are better value for what they (I may be wrong) but some of the Omega Constellation Quartz watches seem overpriced a tad 1,400 etc

whereas non-mechanical Breitling's have Superquartz which is reputedly more accurate than normal quartz

Beautiful watches though Omega, it's just I feel Breitling's have more going for them

:D shall we leave it now? i really dont want to get into a war of words with you mb.....

....and i didnt even notice your sarcasm or attempt at humour in your post....im brave as well as stupid :bag: you see :D

:lol:

:thumbsup:

:D shall we leave it now? i really dont want to get into a war of words with you mb.....

....and i didnt even notice your sarcasm or attempt at humour in your post....im brave as well as stupid :bag: you see :D

Yeah no worries. :thumbsup:

At least I have found a good forum to whittle away a couple of hours when bored, and hopefully will improve my poor knowledge of timepieces

Yeah no worries. :thumbsup:

At least I have found a good forum to whittle away a couple of hours when bored, and hopefully will improve my poor knowledge of timepieces

isn't it nice that you have all made up :air_kiss:

That's exactly what I thinking :friends:

Referring back to the original question "Is Omega A 2nd Tier Brand?"

I'll have to defer to my watchmaker with over 30 years of experience servicing watches from Bulova to JLC "Omega a high end brand? No. Maybe the high end of the mid-range brands"

PS - general attitude I've read from people who've been seem familiar enough with enough watches to have a valid comparative opinion (which doesn't include me) seems to be that Rolex is in the high end grouping .. just barely.

PPS - many people's perceptions are given to them by modern marketing and have nothing to do with the watches themselves

Yes Omega is a 2nd tier brand maybe even 3rd tier

I have maybe thirteen 40's and 50's pieces!

And my latest piece this Speedy below :)

IMG_2211.jpg

Edited by James

If we can get back to the main question....

Compared to Patek Phillippe and certain other makers, it's fair to say that Omega is a second tier manufacturer. But there again so is Rolex.....

It's all in your perception. I've had some cracking Omegas over the years (and one in particular I bitterly regret selling to this day). I've not had any cracking Rolexes, because the wearing experience (God, that sounds so pompous...) was marred by the fact that I was often asked if the watch was a fake. I think that Rolex (particularly the submariner) must be the most faked watch in the world and it is the reason why I won't have another one (plus, of course, the fact that I think they are seriously over-priced!!)

But what of it? If you like the watch, and can afford it, then buy it and wear it and get enjoyment from it no matter what it says onb the dial. What other people think (and by your admission your pals couldn't give a toss) is irrelevant - in fact most of the watches I wear are by makers that my pals have never even heard of!

All the best, and welcome to the RLT site.

Rob

If we can get back to the main question....

Compared to Patek Phillippe and certain other makers, it's fair to say that Omega is a second tier manufacturer. But there again so is Rolex.....

It's all in your perception. I've had some cracking Omegas over the years (and one in particular I bitterly regret selling to this day). I've not had any cracking Rolexes, because the wearing experience (God, that sounds so pompous...) was marred by the fact that I was often asked if the watch was a fake. I think that Rolex (particularly the submariner) must be the most faked watch in the world and it is the reason why I won't have another one (plus, of course, the fact that I think they are seriously over-priced!!)

I agree Rob, Omega are not Haute Horlogerie and neither are Rolex, Breitling and Panerai

Is Omega a second-tier brand? Maybe. Maybe not. As the maker of the only watches to be flight rated by NASA, they have their place in horological history, but recently they have been a little... ummm... crass (maybe). They have their fans (I'm one of them), but they also have their detractors.

Is Rolex a first-tier brand? Maybe. Maybe not. My opinion is that they once were, but are currently not. The brand image has been too diluted by the large number of fakes in circulation, and the "conspicuous consumerism" image that they aquired in the 80's. While they are undoubtedly good watches, they just aren't my jug of java.

To me, a true first-tier watch manufacturer is Zenith. Their El Primero movement is a thing of beauty. When you also consider that, until fairly recently, Rolex used to buy these movements for their Daytona model, you can get a whole lot of watch for a lot less money than the equivalent Rollie. Just don't buy a new one - some of the recent models are hideous.

Cheers... G

My opinion for what its worth is that people can like watches for whatever reason they like, if someone puts a 'value' on brand position then fine, thats no worse than any other reason, its just their reason...

I dont think many of us buy a watch for the timekeeping, so its the other qualities, size, heft, legibility, looks, deph rating and some choose brand as their requirement....

If I was asked to rate Omegas position I would say they are behind Rolex and on a par with Breitling , but this is just my own opinion based on desirability of watch the brand means to me, each maker has stand out models over the other...I would rather has the new PloProf over a Datejust for example....

Found this on a site a number of weeks ago when I was trying to decide what to buy and was wondering how Omega compared to Rolex.

High-End Luxury

There are always superb options when money is no object.

A Lange and Sohne, Alain Silberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin

Luxury

The largest, most widely known class of luxury timepieces

Breitling, Cartier, Ebel, Omega, Rolex

Pseudo Luxury Watches

When you want a better luxury watch, but don't want to spend so much

Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer

Basic Luxury Watches

When you want something finer than average

Epos, Fortis, Movado, Oris

My opinion for what its worth is that people can like watches for whatever reason they like, if someone puts a 'value' on brand position then fine, thats no worse than any other reason, its just their reason...

I dont think many of us buy a watch for the timekeeping, so its the other qualities, size, heft, legibility, looks, deph rating and some choose brand as their requirement....

If I was asked to rate Omegas position I would say they are behind Rolex and on a par with Breitling , but this is just my own opinion based on desirability of watch the brand means to me, each maker has stand out models over the other...I would rather has the new PloProf over a Datejust for example....

does the fact that James bond wears them count for anything :partytime:

just a suggestion, largely based on sketchy knowledge and supposition

1 tier consists of 15 (seems as good as any Number)

1st Tier

Vacheron Constantin

Chopard

Patek Phillipe

Zenith

Breitling

Cartier

Eterna

Blancpain

Ulysse Nardin

Jaeger-LeCoultre

IWC

Girard-Perregaux

Breguet

Boucheron

Rolex

2nd Tier

Oris

Omega

Baume and Mercier

Bell & Ross

Seiko

Tag Heuer

Raymond Weil

Rado

Panerai

Maurice Lacroix

Longines

Ebel

Frederique Constant

Audemars Piguet

Tissot

3rd Tier

Citizen

Bulova

Ball

Zodiac

Hamilton

Bremont

Hublot

Gucci

Wenger

Victorinox

Found this on a site a number of weeks ago when I was trying to decide what to buy and was wondering how Omega compared to Rolex.

High-End Luxury

A Lange and Sohne, Alain Silberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin

Luxury

Pseudo Luxury Watches

Basic Luxury Watches

Not a bad summary at all....

High-End Luxury

Luxury

Pseudo Luxury Watches

Basic Luxury Watches

Not a bad summary at all....

frank muller high end luxury! there pants

alan silberstein high end luxury there also pants