• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mb london

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

My opinion for what its worth is that people can like watches for whatever reason they like, if someone puts a 'value' on brand position then fine, thats no worse than any other reason, its just their reason...

I dont think many of us buy a watch for the timekeeping, so its the other qualities, size, heft, legibility, looks, deph rating and some choose brand as their requirement....

If I was asked to rate Omegas position I would say they are behind Rolex and on a par with Breitling , but this is just my own opinion based on desirability of watch the brand means to me, each maker has stand out models over the other...I would rather has the new PloProf over a Datejust for example....

does the fact that James bond wears them count for anything :partytime:

And being iconic

I think there are 2 different trains of thought here

1.Level of Luxury

2.Quality, status, style, longevity, iconic

In terms of luxury Rolex, Breitling & Omega would probably be second tier but each one has at least one Iconic watch

Omega, the Speedmaster (black)

Breitling, Navitimer (Blue & White)

Rolex Datejust (two-tone)

this for me puts all of them at the top level, IMO

but then again, I know nothing :lookaround:

frank muller high end luxury! there pants

alan silberstein high end luxury there also pants

is everything new rubbish?

just wondering

Hublot 1980

Jacques Lemans 1985

are they both rubbish?

Also Gazza70 where would you put Zenith in your Luxury chart?

Edited by Thus Spoke Zarathustra

just wondering

Hublot 1980

Jacques Lemans 1985

are they both rubbish?

It's not "My" luxury chart - but in my opinion Rolex & Omega are very similar, as for Zenith I don't know enough about them to even offer an opinion??

just wondering

Hublot 1980

Jacques Lemans 1985

are they both rubbish?

not every thing no

I'd say no they aren't. Given a choice of a Rolex or an Omega I'd have a Omega, but saying that I have about 20 Omegas at the last count.

you obviously love them, then, in the poll here 45 people voted making them the most popular Swiss watchmaker

aome of these other luxury brands, Vascheron Constantin, Hublot, the vast majority of watch enthusiasts will not even get to wear one

Hello - Haven't been around for a while...but welcome to TWF.

TBH I view most of what is available in the high street windows these days (maybe with exception to IWC) as one great big blur as the general design of these so called big brands is just utter blandness. So desperate are some of these manufactures to hold onto some credibility they they have started to repackage icons of the distant past eg Tag Heuer and the Monaco and yes the new Proplof comes to mind here.

IMHO Omega were at the cutting edge and forefront of technology and design throughout to 60's right through until the end of the 80's - their collections are second to non during that period. Thereafter they seemingly lost the plot (with perhaps exception to the SMP300) somewhat. We can argue until the cows come home as to why things went belly up but i don't think anyone can argue that the it all boils down to money - what a shame eh?

For what its worth my top modern classics are IMO B&M's Capeland XXL, IWC's Aquatimer, Seiko's Marine Master and Bremont's Supermarine 500 (and yes I know they are all divers!) and whilst I have handled all of these I've never owned one...sigh...

If I had your budget I'd be inclined to keep my money in my pocket, learn and make your decision in a few months time...have fun!

BW, Stuart

Edited by Stuart Davies

just a suggestion, largely based on sketchy knowledge and supposition

1 tier consists of 15 (seems as good as any Number)

1st Tier

Vacheron Constantin

Chopard

Patek Phillipe

Zenith

Breitling

Cartier

Eterna

Blancpain

Ulysse Nardin

Jaeger-LeCoultre

IWC

Girard-Perregaux

Breguet

Boucheron

Rolex

2nd Tier

Oris

Omega

Baume and Mercier

Bell & Ross

Seiko

Tag Heuer

Raymond Weil

Rado

Panerai

Maurice Lacroix

Longines

Ebel

Frederique Constant

Audemars Piguet

Tissot

3rd Tier

Citizen

Bulova

Ball

Zodiac

Hamilton

Bremont

Hublot

Gucci

Wenger

Victorinox

A few you might want to rethink...

I reckon if you hang onto your budget and stay around here, ask questions, listen and learn you will in 3months buy a vintage Omega and maybe save a bit of cash, have a better watch, have fun and best of all learn about what makes a great watch. Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO (and costly experience) if you "buy the brand" rather than "buy the watch" you're setting yourself up for disappointment. In the early 90's I "bought the brand" - I just had to have "a Rolex". I bought one (a new GMT II) and other than a fleeting "warm & fuzzy" feeling from owning "a Rolex", found myself disappointed and disillusioned (and nobody noticed it.....). I was expecting something earth-shattering, the ultimate watch etc etc. The watch didn't live up to my expectations - expectations that were formed almost entirely from Rolex's marketing, and their marketing was the main reason I had to have one. There was nothing wrong with the watch, it was a reliable companion for many years, I just bought it for the wrong reasons. If I'd bought it because I wanted a quality, rugged and practical GMT watch, the watch would have fulfilled my needs perfectly. As it happened I ended up selling the watch. Funny thing is, if I wanted/needed an excellent GMT watch now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter which alleged "tier" a particular brand is considered to reside in because that stuff is all opinion-based anyway, and opinions are like a**eholes - everybody has one. Buy the watch that "floats your boat", not the brand.

here endeth the lesson :hypocrite:

Edited by DMP

Hello - Haven't been around for a while...but welcome to TWF.

TBH I view most of what is available in the high street windows these days (maybe with exception to IWC) as one great big blur as the general design of these so called big brands is just utter blandness. So desperate are some of these manufactures to hold onto some credibility they they have started to repackage icons of the distant past eg Tag Heuer and the Monaco and yes the new Proplof comes to mind here.

IMHO Omega were at the cutting edge and forefront of technology and design throughout to 60's right through until the end of the 80's - their collections are second to non during that period. Thereafter they seemingly lost the plot (with perhaps exception to the SMP300) somewhat. We can argue until the cows come home as to why things went belly up but i don't think anyone can argue that the it all boils down to money - what a shame eh?

For what its worth my top modern classics are IMO B&M's Capeland XXL, IWC's Aquatimer, Seiko's Marine Master and Bremont's Supermarine 500 (and yes I know they are all divers!) and whilst I have handled all of these I've never owned one...sigh...

If I had your budget I'd be inclined to keep my money in my pocket, learn and make your decision in a few months time...have fun!

BW, Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Was trying to compose a response myself but you have said it all for me. :thumbup:

Thanks, Jack

Hello mb london and welcome to RLT.

If as 'mb london' suggests you live in London my suggestion would be go to The Burlington Arcade and look at the vintage Omega shop and the vintage Rolex shop. Then go round the corner to the new Omega AD and the new Rolex AD. Study them all, try them on but keep your wallet in your pocket especially in the Burlington Arcade! You will need time to take it all in and probably a return trip before you can come to a decision.

If you decide to go vintage which would be my option any day you will then have all the fun of tracking one down. I'm sure the guys here will be able to help with a search once you know what you want.

Jack

Having read all the posts i'd like to add my opinion on the subject of how all the manufacturers and brands are perceived.

I've used the word perceived because thats all it is, we all make our judgments based on the vast array of variables presented to us and the priority we place on them.

Owning and wearing a quality watch is a very personal thing and for the majority of people this is limited to just one.

As a watch collector i can appriciate the efforts of all the manufacturers past and present.

Currently i don't believe there is any manufacturer who doesen't offer something i would like in my collection and to wear on my wrist.

It may be just me but when concidering my next purchase i surf the websites, take a walk down Bon street or visit a show or two.

This helps me make an informed decision, it also gives me an informed opinion.

My advise to the person who asked the question as many other forum users have offered is to get informed.

Omega is a first class watch maker, they have invested vast sums of money to improve the accuracy of mechanical watches with their adoption of the George Daniels co-axial escapement. A true feat of engineering prowess when concidered many other manufacturers have draws laiden with failed attemps to improve upon the swiss leaver.

Recently i took the decision of purchasing a Chronoswiss regulateur, model ch 1223 one of the biggest attractions of the watch to me was the fact one watch maker assembles, adjusts then puts his/her mark on it. Is it marketing spin, i'll let you all know when i collect it next week.

The next significant watch i am going to buy is a thermally compensated quartz watch it will either be a Seiko or ETA movement, i haven't decided yet but from what i've read the Seiko's 8f56 is in the lead.

Where i'm comming from is a well put togeather and adjusted Chinease tourbillion watch which hasn't been manufactured to decive is very attractive like the BHI one, but what tier would i put that?

Having examined the A.lange & Sohne watches a few weeks ago they are very impressive

What i'm trying to impart is i buy watches based on their individual merit, look, feel etc and not on the brand.

Except for Vintage Girard Perregaux, but thats an obsession not a reason.

Regards steve

Edited by stevieb

to echo others, go for the aesthetics every time - unless you are in fact brand conscious, in which case you will want to buy whatever the wealthy US/Far Eastern consumers are buying.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment on whether Omega is seen as a second tier brand or not, but I think it tells you something when the experienced guys on here can’t even agree. All that matters is whether YOU see them as second tier. If you do, then you are not going to be happy owning one.

I think I speak on behalf on most of the easy going watch collectors out here and everywhere.

Is it second tier? I don't know and who cares.

Serious guys...who really cares. Spend more time discovering your own passion, rather than bickering about what other people's passion might be.

Omega isn't a brand regarded as Haute Horlogerie so it is second tier, there's no argument really. However they are damn fine watches and I always have a few in my collection.

I was concerned that Omega is viewed as a 2nd tier brand.

Didn't stop you buying a 2nd tier car did it?:whistle:

Buy the watch you like & don't worry what others think.

Edited by Andy Tims

Sorry to add butI would say Rolex are the bottom of the 1st tier and Omega have been top of the 2nd tier for years and now Omega is in no man's land.

I am thinking for the last couple of years Omega's quality and designs have increased in an attempt to rival that of IWC and Rolex and JlC.

I would think they are stating to catch up to Rolex now.

That is why Rolex are going down the ceramic route these days.

IMHO

Simon

Rolex == :bull*******:

Omega == :man_in_love:

IWC == :thumbup:

JlC == :inlove:

I agree with many of the replies here. Most of the watches I buy tend to be ones with a bit of history. I enjoy reading up on them, doing my research and learning about the little diferences between the different models. Then I reach a 'critical mass' stage where I feel I MUST have the watch and that's when I start looking around. Because of this I find it very hard to sell my watches once they're in my collection. Another factor that influences my purchases is price of course. I don't think I'll ever be able to afford one of the so called 'high end luxury' watches like a Breguet or Patek. I probably could if I sold a bulk of the ones I already have but I wouldn't see it as being worth it.In terms of Omega, I have a vintage Speedmaster Pro, vintage Seamaster 300 and a Dynamic Chrono. I find the older watches much more interesting than the current ones but that's just me. I would like to try on of the co-axial movements in the future though. As suggested by some, spend some time in the local watch forums, then buy something YOU like. You'll be a whole lot happier in my opinion.

As someone who has owned digital watches all my life, I bought an Omega as my first decent-branded 'smart' watch. I bought it because I liked the history of the brand, the look of the watch, and finally the lovely dial. I honestly do not worry about the perception of the brand as "2nd tier," I just know that when I put it on, I am happy I bought it. I would love an Omega Seamaster Pro one day, but right now I am very happy where I am. When and if I do, it will be second-hand, and it's something for me to work towards.

I believe 'luxury' watches are jewellery, and at the end of the day, I would rather wear something that makes me feel confident with my purchase and works, rather than feel the need for my purchase to be seen and appreciated to feel confident about myself. You shouldn't need others to qualify who you are!

My poor, student tuppence! :)

David

I believe 'luxury' watches are jewellery, and at the end of the day, I would rather wear something that makes me feel confident with my purchase and works, rather than feel the need for my purchase to be seen and appreciated to feel confident about myself. You shouldn't need others to qualify who you are!

My feelings exactly :thumbsup:

As far as I know - and there are many, many people round here that know a whole lot more than I do, but here goes anyway - Omega was going head to head with Rolex for most of the 60s. Since both were mass produced brands with relatively large factories putting out a lot of units, neither could claim to be the most exclusive (1st tier?) brands out there, but they were on much the same level, making respected in-house movements. Omega slipped up with the advent of the high beat movement, seeing it as a chance to compete on price as well as quality when new lubricants were introduced at the end of the 60s. This was a mistake on a number of levels, as their first stab was the fatally flawed 1000 series, which tended to fall apart after a few years due to a design flaw. This was quickly remedied in the 1010 onwards, but the PR damage was done. From here on Omega was stuck with competing on price, or at least value for money and innovation, rather than out-and-out exclusivity and quality, and Rolex were left to take the high ground and price accordingly. Omega have been fighting to get back on top ever since. Arguably this makes the right vintage models a bit of a bargain - while they are more expensive than some other brands, they're still exceptionally cheap for something that was no worse than a Rolex in its day. The lower price makes the them less exclusive, in a rather meaningless way, but on the other side there are so many interesting vintage models to choose from, and you actually stand a chance of owning a few without taking on a second mortgage. Not only that, but the Swatch group are so hell-bent on bringing the brand image back up to catch and overtake Rolex, they are investing fortunes in changing people's perceptions through things like the Bond link-up, and it's gradually working. All this rubs off on the perception of the vintage models too - it doesn't hurt that your affordable vintage watch comes with a free multi-million pound advertising and celebrity endorsement package built in, it adds to the shine.

Personally I wouldn't have a new one, and there's obviously many many more exclusive things out there that could claim to be the '1st tier', both in the past and present. But I think Omegas deserve the love they get round these parts, particularly for the vintage models. The '1st tier' would be the brands that set out to be the most expensive, unobtainable and exclusive... but this has never been Omega's aim, and it's not what everyone wants.

Does that help?

Does that help?

Well articulated Guy. A very intelligent and thought out answer for a most moronic thread.

To reiterate yet again what everyone has been saying, it all comes down to your perception. Buy what you like, keep what you love and screw the rest.

The problem with asking if something is "first tier" or not is how do you judge the tier? In terms of fashion Omega are certainly very vogue, and do have a great heritage and good name. The same can be said for the likes of Rolex etc. if you are basing your criteria purely on price then patek/JLC/A lange/VC/Zenith are more expensive so to a person only interesting in giving the impression of wealth, "better". To be honest, if you are looking at Rolex/Breitling etc. then Omega are a very similar brand.

Don't put such emphasis on the brand of the watch, I personally passed up the opportunity to buy a Rolex deepsea and instead went for a Zenith. Ok none of my close friends clock it, but (as plenty on this forum will agree i'm sure) there is much more to a watch than just telling the time and giving the impression of affluence.

Buy a watch for it's horological interest and beauty as an object, not just to impress.

Anyway, that is my twopence.

x

Edited by Speech