• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mb london

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

I'm a fan of Omega but am also new to watches and can't help but agree with the perception of it being a 2nd tier brand.

The only reason that I can think is that although the top end watches quite easily compete with the more exclusive brands in terms of price and quality, you can own a brand new Omega for around £1000 which cannot be said of, say Rolex or Brietling.

Despite this, people that know about watches generally tend to regard Omega very highly and if you choose a watch in terms of quality rather than what other people think then you would not go wrong with Omega...

As far as I know - and there are many, many people round here that know a whole lot more than I do, but here goes anyway - Omega was going head to head with Rolex for most of the 60s. Since both were mass produced brands with relatively large factories putting out a lot of units, neither could claim to be the most exclusive (1st tier?) brands out there, but they were on much the same level, making respected in-house movements. Omega slipped up with the advent of the high beat movement, seeing it as a chance to compete on price as well as quality when new lubricants were introduced at the end of the 60s. This was a mistake on a number of levels, as their first stab was the fatally flawed 1000 series, which tended to fall apart after a few years due to a design flaw. This was quickly remedied in the 1010 onwards, but the PR damage was done. From here on Omega was stuck with competing on price, or at least value for money and innovation, rather than out-and-out exclusivity and quality, and Rolex were left to take the high ground and price accordingly. Omega have been fighting to get back on top ever since. Arguably this makes the right vintage models a bit of a bargain - while they are more expensive than some other brands, they're still exceptionally cheap for something that was no worse than a Rolex in its day. The lower price makes the them less exclusive, in a rather meaningless way, but on the other side there are so many interesting vintage models to choose from, and you actually stand a chance of owning a few without taking on a second mortgage. Not only that, but the Swatch group are so hell-bent on bringing the brand image back up to catch and overtake Rolex, they are investing fortunes in changing people's perceptions through things like the Bond link-up, and it's gradually working. All this rubs off on the perception of the vintage models too - it doesn't hurt that your affordable vintage watch comes with a free multi-million pound advertising and celebrity endorsement package built in, it adds to the shine.

Personally I wouldn't have a new one, and there's obviously many many more exclusive things out there that could claim to be the '1st tier', both in the past and present. But I think Omegas deserve the love they get round these parts, particularly for the vintage models. The '1st tier' would be the brands that set out to be the most expensive, unobtainable and exclusive... but this has never been Omega's aim, and it's not what everyone wants.

Does that help?

Very much so, thank you very much

MB

Referring back to the original question "Is Omega A 2nd Tier Brand?"

I'll have to defer to my watchmaker with over 30 years of experience servicing watches from Bulova to JLC "Omega a high end brand? No. Maybe the high end of the mid-range brands"

PS - general attitude I've read from people who've been seem familiar enough with enough watches to have a valid comparative opinion (which doesn't include me) seems to be that Rolex is in the high end grouping .. just barely.

PPS - many people's perceptions are given to them by modern marketing and have nothing to do with the watches themselves

Tiers.... Psshh.... who cares omega is a fantastic brand that said I prefer the old ones.... I have 4 the newest is 37 years old

It is.

Nothing to be ashamed of though. A lot of the makers in the top tier go for the oil rich Arab market that's heavy on dollars and utterly devoid of taste.

I would choose Omega over Rolex most of the time because they are more subtle and less showy. I have always put them in the same category, what I would call 'upper middle' in the watch hierarchy. I think a lot of Omegas are much better looking then Rolex!

I would choose Omega over Rolex most of the time because they are more subtle and less showy. I have always put them in the same category, what I would call 'upper middle' in the watch hierarchy. I think a lot of Omegas are much better looking then Rolex!

Holy thread revival from 2010!!!

Thats absolutely rediculous, Omega are more subtle than Rolex? Surely that depends on what model you choose.

A bright orange Omega PO will always attract more attention than a s/steel Rolex Submariner, and a black Omega PO will attract less attention than a green Rolex Submariner.

Thats absolutely rediculous, Omega are more subtle than Rolex? Surely that depends on what model you choose.

A bright orange Omega PO will always attract more attention than a s/steel Rolex Submariner, and a black Omega PO will attract less attention than a green Rolex Submariner.

Snap.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't realise it was that old, I just saw it on the recent topics :P I said most of the time btw, before I'm shot.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman ! ... There's nowt like pushing for the SC :D

It may be perfectly innocent but if it is an attempt to speed-post to gain access to the Sales Section, well, we all know what happens to people who try that little trick...

gozilla.gif

:wink2:

My opinion for what its worth is that people can like watches for whatever reason they like, if someone puts a 'value' on brand position then fine, thats no worse than any other reason, its just their reason...

I dont think many of us buy a watch for the timekeeping, so its the other qualities, size, heft, legibility, looks, deph rating and some choose brand as their requirement....

If I was asked to rate Omegas position I would say they are behind Rolex and on a par with Breitling , but this is just my own opinion based on desirability of watch the brand means to me, each maker has stand out models over the other...I would rather has the new PloProf over a Datejust for example....

does the fact that James bond wears them count for anything :partytime:

I don't think James Bond ever wore an Omega in the books. It was someone in `wardrobe' for the latest films with Daniel Craig who thought an Omega would be more up-to-date. Great bous for Omega but would you want to wear a watch with 007 on the dial etc?

My opinion for what its worth is that people can like watches for whatever reason they like, if someone puts a 'value' on brand position then fine, thats no worse than any other reason, its just their reason...

I dont think many of us buy a watch for the timekeeping, so its the other qualities, size, heft, legibility, looks, deph rating and some choose brand as their requirement....

If I was asked to rate Omegas position I would say they are behind Rolex and on a par with Breitling , but this is just my own opinion based on desirability of watch the brand means to me, each maker has stand out models over the other...I would rather has the new PloProf over a Datejust for example....

does the fact that James bond wears them count for anything :partytime:

I don't think James Bond ever wore an Omega in the books. It was someone in `wardrobe' for the latest films with Daniel Craig who thought an Omega would be more up-to-date. Great bous for Omega but would you want to wear a watch with 007 on the dial etc?

OMEGA paid to be in the later Bond films, product placement along with several other brands.

If you like it then buy it, who cares if it's first second third or fourth tier, if you like it then buy it I have watches ranging from a few hundred to several thousands, I wear what I want not what other people dictate.

Probably not condusive to the original question but personally I would rather wear a second hand Seiko diver than most Rolex'. Just don't see the point in spending £3000 or more on a watch.

And now, Christopher Ward have their own in house movement too.

And now, Christopher Ward have their own in house movement too.

To be honest, "in-house" is such a bendable term in the watch industry and CW's tie up with Synergies Horlogeres, hardly makes CW what we normally think of as a true in-house company but what the heck, if it helps them whack up their prices , why not.

We all have our likes and dislikes in watches and a lot of people do see the point in spending even a great deal more than three thousand pounds on a watch. Mind you, most can usually easily afford to, the luxury watch market these days is huge, so why not if you can afford it. ... It's the same as cars, not everyone wants a Skoda . :)

Edited by artistmike

It's nice to see an old topic pop up now and then. Especially as it reminds me of members who at onetime were frequent upon these threads though no longer post or at least haven't for awhile.

Step forward:

mrteatime

feenix

Griff

Defender

Clum

socrates

SharkBike

ollyhock

BlueKnight

James

bjohnson

Stuart Davies

JonW

DMP

tyrannes

itsguy

gaz64

And these are just the names from this thread.

I used to own a Ltd Edition Breguet Aeronavale in addition to a 1971 Omega Speedmaster (moonwatch)

After a while I found the Breguet brand couldn't make up for the fact that I was bored of the watch and felt it didn't really have much provenance to be a pilot watch even though they were supplied to the French Air Force.

I have sold the Breguet and kept the Omega which I feel is more pilot and looks like a proper pilot watch.

Omega is not a top brand but the watches it makes are equal in quality to any other watch out there IMO.

Would I prefer a Rolls or Jaguar....both are great in their own right. (Phantom vs E-Type) ???

forum070914_zps50fabb28.jpg

forum070914a_zps48f2e615.jpg