• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mb london

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

I too love my Speedies too but let's face it they were originally designed for car owners, not pilots, hence the Tachymetre scale. That Breguet is a lovely looking watch, I would have been very tempted to keep them both. :)

IMO Omega are second tier and the fact that this bothers you means you will never be happy. As said before, either get second hand where they are much cheaper or go for something else. I feel the same way about Tag.

It does not bother me if I'm wearing a £200 tissot or a £5,000 submariner it's down to each person, I rotate my watches so I always where them all if I no longer find I'm wearing one I sell it, I really can't see what the problem is between a 1st tier watch etc and a 20th tier watch as long as you like it never mind what anyone else thinks.

Unless you have unlimited funds and can shell out for a bespoke watch by an undisputed master watchmaker like George Daniels or Phillipe Dufour, there will always be something better, regardless of whether its a Tissot, Omega, Rolex, Patek, etc, etc. Buy what you like and what you can afford without breaking the bank. At the end of the day, anyone who judges you based on the watch on your wrist isn't worth trying to impress. Similarly, if you need a "top tier" watch to prove your self worth to yourself, I would say that you have some serious, deep rooted insecurities.

If you need any proof of how pointless such an attitude is, look up the "Archie Luxury" on the net/youtube.

Edited by Jeremy Fisher

Unless you have unlimited funds and can shell out for a bespoke watch by an undisputed master watchmaker like George Daniels or Phillipe Dufour, there will always be something better, regardless of whether its a Tissot, Omega, Rolex, Patek, etc, etc. Buy what you like and what you can afford without breaking the bank. At the end of the day, anyone who judges you based on the watch on your wrist isn't worth trying to impress. Similarly, if you need a "top tier" watch to prove your self worth to yourself, I would say that you have some serious, deep rooted insecurities.

If you need any proof of how pointless such an attitude is, look up the "Archie Luxury" on the net/youtube.

I agree completely if you need a rolex to make you feel good then your in the wrong game, if you have one because you like the watch and not for just because it says rolex on it then you do have insecurities.

Watches are the same as every other commodity in this world. There will always be something bigger better fastwr or more expensive. Buy what you can afford enjoy it and bollocks to what anybody thinks.

Watches are the same as every other commodity in this world. There will always be something bigger better fastwr or more expensive. Buy what you can afford enjoy it and bollocks to what anybody thinks.

All Hail!!

Omega has one of the best looking divers in the world, at least for me. Being first, second or third tier brand doesn't matter that much for me, as long as I like the watch itself. So - get what pleases your eye!

If Omega is 2nd tier, then is Blancpain 1st tier?

Let's look At the Fifty Fathoms and the Planet Ocean.

They both come from the same stable, BP has a sailcloth strap and no He valve(not that we need it but it's all extra cost and machining) whereas the Omega has a good bracelet.

The Omega has an applied dial.

Both have silicon balance springs and a Manufacture movement.(1315 movement has had some dodgy press)

The Blancpain is twice as much as the new PO chrono, so why? It has no more kudos on the high street than Omega, in fact if you told a layman you had a Blancpain he would think you'd got it from Argos.

So is first tier all in the price and exclusivity?

So is first tier all in the price and exclusivity?

Yes.

Unequivocally, yes...

It all revolves around one's "circle of acquaintances", and talks only to *their* acceptance, identity or acknowledgement, rather than the individual's.

In other words, rating watch brands into "tiers" is crass.

(Rating individual watches is altogether a different matter - provided that brand identity is not one of the definitive judgement criteria.)

Cheerz

Mark H

In the kind of circles i mix in, they (Omega), would be top top top top tier, then; and tbh i'd keep it up my sleeve as they say...but then i dont mix in the upper echelons :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:

Tiers are for wedding cakes not watches, but to carry on the cake analogy my collection would probably be the base board the cake it sits on. Sturdy and useful

wook

Hello to all

I have always found the best source of information to be forums, I first started using them when I got my BMW, the information was invaluable and have since become a member of a really good cyber community. I am really looking forward to getting some good opinions/advice from you guys and of course the usual banter

Anyway (back on thread), I have had my Rolex for about 5 years and enjoy it as much now as I did when I first bought it, however I am now in the market for another piece. My budget is a bit up in the air, but top end would be £3k’ish. I recently tried on an Omega Planet Ocean and I loved it, it was the one with the black rubber strap with orange stitching. The price of it worked, but the only thing is that I was concerned that Omega is viewed as a 2nd tier brand. In my very very limited knowledge of watches I thought things like Rolex, Breitling etc were the things to buy.

It would be really good and helpful to hear what you guys think of the Omega brand

Many thanks

MB

* I would post a picture of my Rolex but I cant figure out how? If the picture is on my desktop as a jpeg what should I do?

Strange how such an old topic has got raked up but i dont think its that easy to rank, tier, (or whatever else you might want to call it) watches, once you've developed an interest in them. I'm pretty sure most people who only have a passing interest would say Rolex were the tops along with Omega. Then I guess they will think of Tag, Longines etc (if they've heard of them) through advertising etc. As for the rest eg Tudor, Alpina, Oris, etc etc etc most people wont know of them (probably). However once you get interested in watches and learn about grand seiko's and the like you realise that its not so easy to pigeon hole the brands. However i'm pretty sure the man on the clapham omnibus will always say 'Rolex' followed by 'do you know how much them things cost new' whilst the others even possibly Omega will be more discreet whether thats good or bad i'm not sure :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just IMO, as there is no right or wrong answer with such questions....

Rolex as a brand is higher than Omega. This is taking into account the whole range, the company's history, the manufacturing process, technology, marketing and price points.

Now if your talking about models within the brand, I can safely say that all three of my Omegas wipe the floor with the majority of Rolex models. But that's not the point, the question relates to the brand.

I would say in Swatch's arsenal, Blancpain is the premier brand and people can argue they're a level above Rolex. Omega is Swatch's mid level brand, and I would say as above they're a level below Rolex. Then you have the likes of Longines and Tissot etc which are the entry level brands in the Swatch umbrella.

Think of Rolex as Mercedes, with the prestige, heritage, marketing and some fantastic models in the range. Often targeted towards the more mature professional person.

Now Omega could be seen as Audi. More technologically advanced in the real world, with an arguably better driving experience and handling. But the prestige and heritage hasn't always been there unlike Mercedes. Often seen as the underdog. But there's models in the range that can very easily wipe the floor with the majority of Mercedes models. Often targeted towards the more adventurous individuals, perhaps a slightly younger demographic than Rolex.

Then you have Blancpain which can be compared to Maybach. More exclusive, attention to detail and manufacturing process higher than Mercedes.

There are so many ways of trying to `grade' watches. If you take the hand-made ones from George Daniels, Richard Mille etc then watches like Rolex, Omega etc are just mass produced also rans.

If you start at a lower price range then for under £300 you can buy some excellent watches from Seiko, Citizen etc that often keep better time than the likes of Rolex and Omega at a fraction of the cost and still give many years of service. You could argue that the £300 watch is the top tier for watches used to tell the time, have decent waterproofing etc.

You could argue that the £300 watch is the top tier for watches used to tell the time, have decent waterproofing etc.

I suppose that depends on how accurately you want to tell the time..... :D

There are so many ways of trying to `grade' watches. If you take the hand-made ones from George Daniels, Richard Mille etc then watches like Rolex, Omega etc are just mass produced also rans.

If you start at a lower price range then for under £300 you can buy some excellent watches from Seiko, Citizen etc that often keep better time than the likes of Rolex and Omega at a fraction of the cost and still give many years of service. You could argue that the £300 watch is the top tier for watches used to tell the time, have decent waterproofing etc.

I think it's a common misconception nowadays that cheap Quartz watches are far more accurate than high end automatic movements.

The typical tolerance for a Quartz watch movement is circa +/- 10-15s per month.

Bear in mind a lot of people with Rolex movements are seeing a similar, if not the same, level of timekeeping then that argument is no longer valid.

Then you have superquartz movements from Omega and Breitling which are far more accurate than the cheaper Quartz movements again.

Although one could always argue that the majority of cheaper Quartz watches fall well within that timekeeping of 10-15s per month, same with COSC spec movements falling well within those tolerances too.

One of the main differences between a Rolex and a Timex is the first three letters of the name - - and the price of course :whistle: Just ask the Commander (Bond) :lol:

Life's too short, buy and wear what you want and like, after all Fred Olsen , CEO, Shipping Line Magnate and stuff like that wore a TIMEX - - Oh, of course he owned TIMEX as well :rofl:

Edited by mel

wonder what would happen if rolex made a watch for £100 that was £100 worth like say seiko :partytime:

If Rolex made a £100 watch it would destroy the brand image they have built up over many years and take them into a different market. The price you pay for something do not always the cost or quality of that item. Some years ago a company was trying to sell their denim jeans in the USA at $15 but struggled. They then got a celebrity to endorse the jeans so they had a little label with her name, increased the price to over $100 and sales took off - all about perceived value.

Take a watch that has a rrp of £6,000. £1,000 of that will be VAT leaving a base selling price of £5,000. Members here have often quoted dealer margins of 40% - 50% or £2,000 to £2,500 giving a price from the manufacturer of £2500 - £3000. On that basis the manufacturer could sell direct to the public for about £3,600 (£3000 + £600 VAT). Then take out all the costs of marketing and HQ departments compared to a small watchmaker/assembler like RLT and maybe the direct cost of materials will be far closer than the respective selling prices suggest.

It makes slotting watches (or other items) into `tiers' very difficult - do you go on actual quality or brand image or a combination. How do you rate a Rolex Sub against a Titan Black Rolex sub which costs about twice as much as the `standard' model?

To return to topic 'are Omega a second Tier Brand' [to Rolex; sic]...probably... :) ...if Rolex made a £100 watch which was £100 worth and the equivalent of a Seiko or Citizen (in quality) at that price then yes probably it would de-value the brand...However I wonder if high street sales of £100 Rolex watches would overtake those of the other brands?...Again probably most people would want the Rolex...then if Omega wished to compete with the £100 Rolex presumably the Omega would be a little bit cheaper to buy...Again price driven desirability, prestige and quality perhaps??? All totally hypothetical, but does illustrate what most people want. I don't think the car analogies work with the higher end watches because Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi...(de;dum;de;dum) are all mass produced consumer durables. I dont think a Rolex Sub or Omega PO etc are. Also these type of cars are pretty common now and in fact these car manufacturers have already done what Rolex would be doing if they did make that hypothetical £100 watch :) . This is illustrated by the fact you can buy a car with an Audi, Merc or BM or Jag badge for a price (dependent on model) as cheaply as a Ford or Vauxhall. This Rolex possibly does analogize with the Rolls Phantom in so much as it probably sells in the same market...But again the car is £225,000 plus whilst the watch is the price of a used Ford Focus :eek: Difficult isnt it!

I don't think the car analogies work with the higher end watches because Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi...(de;dum;de;dum) are all mass produced consumer durables. I dont think a Rolex Sub or Omega PO etc are.

Both Rolex and Omega are exactly that, mass produced items. .. The cleverness of the marketing of these items is that they make you think they are "exclusive", whereas in reality they are just mid-end watches.... If, using your analogy, you want the equivalent of a Rolls Phantom then you have to start looking at the top end of watch production, watch companies that do a lot of their manufacture by hand, not at those mass-produced in their millions like Rolex or Omega.