• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mb london

Is Omega A 2Nd Tier Brand?

I don't think the car analogies work with the higher end watches because Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, Audi...(de;dum;de;dum) are all mass produced consumer durables. I dont think a Rolex Sub or Omega PO etc are.

Both Rolex and Omega are exactly that, mass produced items. .. The cleverness of the marketing of these items is that they make you think they are "exclusive", whereas in reality they are just mid-end watches.... If, using your analogy, you want the equivalent of a Rolls Phantom then you have to start looking at the top end of watch production, watch companies that do a lot of their manufacture by hand, not at those mass-produced in their millions like Rolex or Omega.

, :yes: Just found this...the Parmigiani Fleurier for £ 200400.00 apparently 16449873389_9d86f3a652_o.jpgand i dont like it :eek:and according to wiki Rolex made over 750,000 movements in 2011 ey ho thats one myth blown for me then :huh: :huh: Edited by Nigelp

I'm not sure what point you're making.... :D

Ah I see you edited your post, now I understand... :)

Edited by artistmike

me neither now :D guess its all relative...back to point though do we know if omega are a second tier brand? :D

me neither now :D guess its all relative...back to point though do we know if omega are a second tier brand? :D

First you have to ask yourself whether the question has any validity. ..... What exactly is it supposed to be asking?

First you have to ask yourself whether the question has any validity. ..... What exactly is it supposed to be asking?

:yes: agreed i'm not sure it has any validity and i'm even less sure what it is asking....so I give in :) Edited by Nigelp

I dont think the car analogy isnt really a true reflection, a cheap Beemer isnt anywhere near the same price as a cheap Ford especially once you add a few bits and bobs from the options list it can nigh on double the list price on some of them just that BMW and the rest of the more upmarket brands make them cheap to rent or lease which is a whole different thing all together and why you see more on the roads these days. A few years ago it wasnt so easy to drive off in a new Merc or Jag but now you can for a few quid a month, you'll never own it, basically all you are doing is renting it for three/four years.

That being said cheap credit on watches has made them more available just that not so many people are prepared to do that in the same way as car buyers do.

Not big on brands as such.

My car Is a particular make, but for £1000 more you can buy it with a different badge now that is crazy.

Most people don't even know what they are buying.

Edited by PC-Magician

back to point though do we know if omega are a second tier brand? :D

According to Swatch Group's own categorisations, no. To be precise, Omega are part of what Swatch Group refers to as their 'Prestige and Luxury Range', the highest range they have.

From Swatch Group, Watches and Jewelry

Collectively, the Swatch Group’s eighteen watch brands address all segments of the market. Each brand carries its own distinct cachet, and each positions its products to appeal to different and complementary audiences.

[...]

Prestige and Luxury Range: Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, Léon Hatot, Omega.

High Range: Longines, Rado, Union Glashütte.

Middle Range: Tissot, Balmain, Certina, Mido, Hamilton; Calvin Klein watches + jewelry.

Basic Range: Swatch, Flik Flak.

But in the wider market, most people would not rate Omega as a truly top manufacturer. It all depends on what scale you are looking at.

P.S. If anyone saw this post before I edited, ignore what I said. I had temporarily gone mad and misread the website. ;-)

Edited by Markrlondon