• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Andy

American Forums

Anyone have experiences of American forums. I didn't till yesterday. I've joined a predominantly American motorcycle forum and boy are those guys deadly serious.

I started a thread entitled our differences because I was interested to know how the American outlook on biking differs from our own. To finish up I said, tongue in cheek," Is it true you guys all ride Harleys, eat iron filings for breakfast and hang Japanese bikes from there yokes from trees".

Now the sparks are flying. I've started a bitchin war the like of which I've never seen. One guy responded, "Ya sure do talk purdy boy" GULP :o Visions of the hillbilly/ squawking pig scene in the film Deliverance.

The forum has a whole panel of moderators, a couple of whome have sprung into action threatning to ban a person and delete threads etc, so I've made a good first impression then.

Is this the norm with American forums. If so I can understand why there aren't many here. I would think we are a bit tame.

Yes Andy I have found out this too, they dont seem to have a sense of humour.

The forum on the American Broadarrow is totally humourless. They are, in my opinion, the biggest bunch of ass-holes I'ver ever tried to chat with, and they just delete any posts that don't suck their asses, or that show a morsel of dissent from their stupid views.

Roy and Eddie just luv 'em!!! :D

I guess that makes me an "ass-hole" too then, as I post over there as well as here. As I see it, there's gooduns and baduns on most forums.

C'est la vie !!

Foggy

I take 'em as I find em Foggy.

I tried to chat on the Broadarrow question, and the PRS-3, using moderate comments but constructive points about the Broadarrow mark etc.

They finished up not just deleting posts, but the whole thread!

That means they are incapable of accepting views different to their own, so what's the bloody point trying to chat with them. Broadarrow is British, and they not only don't like that but they get hostile on actual historical facts.

They are therefore a bunch of assholes, but I didn't say all the people who post are assholes, so I think your reply indicates you've taken it a little personal, which wasn't the intention.

It is THEY that need to practice C'est la vie...........not me!

Nothing taken personally - just sayin' it like I see it. FWIW, and to anyone else that may be nothing, I've made some very good friends on both MWR and the other watch forums. Not just American, but from many different countries. I have no wish to take sides -seen all the unfortunate forum fights over the years, but I can't change the outcomes, so I'll leave it at that.

Regards

Foggy

Guest neil

Hello All

I participate in a number of US forums and have done for a few years and I've never had any of that sort of nonsense.

The Americans (and other nationalities) I have spoken to have been nothing but polite and helpful and I must state that in general they are light years ahead of us when it comes to watch collecting.

In fact it wasn't until I joined the only English watch forum I participate in, (this one) that I got in an almighty row before flouncing off.

The British and American mentality is quite different and whereas Americans always show off their latest purchases to admiration and good wishes from other forummers here it often seen as showing off.

As long as you bear in mind the differences between the two nations you will get along fine.

Cheers,

Neil.

I've just been back to this forum I was telling you about.

It's unbelievable.

One of the moderators Diane, has called for a meeting in a section called the campfire to decide who stays and who should be kicked out :blink: It's going to a vote.

On the forum you are not allowed to go "off topic" when you are adding to a thread either or you risk feeling the weight of the half dozen or so moderators bearing down on you.

Hi Andy!

Could you post a link to the US biker furore for entertainment purposes?

Si

http://www.chromeheads.org

Then select Cruiser Forum.

Go to the general section.

My thread is called "Our Differences"

Also while your there go to the "campfire" section and check out the thread "your vote counts". You won't believe that load of old ******. :lol:

The site name says it all. The Americans have a thing about ending names for fans of certain topics with the old bonce cliche. I once saw a 'special interest' film call Boneheads, but you won't be seeing that on the movie channels in a rush :rolleyes:

Paul

Thanks Andy!!

Well those guys are a laugh a minute.

A sample from Hammer:

Our bikes and automobiles are an expression of breaking through our own repressive impositions. Sort of like abandoning the civility of repression and embracing the compassion of chaos

I have only been on rltwatches for a couple of days, I needed a watch for everyday use and found the website. It is shipping as I write (or I hope so), and I can't say if I am happy with it yet. But even if it turns out to be a piece of junk, this forum amde it worth every penny! many thanks to all, especially Neil, Andy, Foggy and others. Never had so much fun on a forum. I've never opened a watch in my life, and my "collection" is a couple of old "Swatch", but you guys made me want to order all the tools I need and some watches "in need of servicing".

There are many sad things going on on the internet, but you make it all worth it. I'm off now back to checking those bikers....

Pieter

But even if it turns out to be a piece of junk, this forum amde it worth every penny!

From my own experience of dealing with Roy I can assure you that the watch you have bought will not be a "piece of junk"

Thats not creeping. Just stating fact.

Glad you found the BMW bike forum entertaining.

I just cannot believe that the country that gave us South Park and the Simpsons can be so lacking in dry humour.

Check out the "Campfire" section. Talk about politics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2414432196

I participate in a number of forums (fora?) and I haven't really seen a number of country specific differences. It's easy, but misleading to lump everyone from one country or another into some kind of catagory, or behavioral group. I believe the people in the biker forum are probably part of a sub-culture that tend to define themselves by what they ride. You don't tend to see gangs of watchaholics hanging out together, as mostly it's a solitary kind of thing, so you don't tend to see the extreams amoung watch people. Watch people don't usually define themselves in society by what they wear (well most anyway).

Sargon

You are saying it's wrong to categorize people and then you go on to do just that by implying us bike riders are part of a sub culture that hang out in gangs. Hmmm

Well the gang mentality you refer to has, for the most part, died out. Even the "Hells Angels" has become a lucrative trademark.

As for bikers "defining themselves by what they ride" don't we all do that.

Isn't the car you drive, the watch you wear etc. saying something about who you are.

The important thing is to be just that. WHO YOU ARE, and not be swayed by others who think you should be who they are.

Unbelievably there are people out there who, in there blinkered tiny little minds, have absolutely no concept of individuality.

My Motto in life is

Ask questions and be advised but decide yourself.

Whoops I've gone off topic.

On the other forum I'd have been told off

I think I have to make it clear I did not mean bein' disrespectful, sir. I have no doubts about the quality of my watch, a Benrus automatic. I am already tracking another Benrus on ebay that needs some serious servicing, and mind you I had never heard of Benjamin Lazarus until yesterday!!!

Hope you didn't take offence Roy :D

Pieter

I think that having a vote on whether somebody should stay on that bike forum or not is pathetic. You cannot help but go off topic that part of friendly chat , is'nt it ?. I am not posting on there as they will ban me for spellin mistaks. :lol:

You can talk Roy.....at least we got a photo of Eddie on here.......wot about YOURS then...... :lol::lol::lol:

Thats why Eddie is laughing in the photo, he had just seen a picture of me.