• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
DMP

Grail Arrival - 16 Years In The Making

Grab some popcorn, it's story time!

W-a-a-y back in 1994 I was looking for a watch to mark 21 years in the workforce. In 1974, the year I started earning a wage, I'd scrimped & saved until I eventually had the necessaries to purchase my first "good" watch - an Omega Speedy Pro Mk II. In 1994 I still had the Speedy and figured another Omega would be a suitable way to mark 21 years of working. I also had the urge to return to my Swiss mechanical roots after around 10 years of indulging in the latest wizz-bang quartz marvels from Japan. So, off I went to my local Omega AD to suss out what was available.

As it turned out, nothing caught my eye. The sales bloke was very keen to show me the new, rather odd-looking (to my eye) blue/grey-dialed Seamasters with the funny hands - the soon to be ubiquitous "Bond" range. I liked the idea of a Seamaster, as I already had the afore-mentioned Speedy, but the I couldn't take to those strange blue-dialed oddities (I still can't :bag: ). Just before I left, the salesman gave me a copy of a commemorative Omega coffee table book/magazine which highlighted the "significant moments" in Omega's long history, with photo's and descriptions of many of their models over the years (I wish I still had it!). On returning home I started reading it in depth and came across a photo of a rather smart Seamaster 200 COSC that had been released in the late 80's. It was love :man_in_love: at first sight and I was devastated to find out, on returning to the AD several weeks later, that the particular Seamaster range that had taken my eye was no longer in production and had been replaced by the new "Bond" range. "Sorry mate, we can't get those any more". Extremely disappointed, as I'd set my heart on that Omega SM200, I changed tack and started to think about getting a Rolex instead.

Both my father and brother had owned Rolex's, and I had recently inherited by brothers DateJust, so I figured that perhaps it was time I had "a Rolex". I'd never considered the brand before, but contacted Rolex and had them send me a catalogue. After much to-ing and fro-ing, I eventually settled on a GMT II "coke" as my commemorative watch. Big bucks later, I had one, my very own Rollie. An 8 year love/hate relationship with that Rolex ensued - for some reason we just didn't "click". Sure, it was "a Rolex" (who wouldn't want one?), but several aspects of the watch annoyed me (disproportionately tiny crown, "cheap" clasp, rattly end-links amongst others) although TBH it was a thoroughly reliable companion for those 8 years. Unfortunately, on that occasion, I'd bought the brand rather than the watch. I sold it when things were financially tough and went back to wearing a Seiko for a few years.

Several years ago, with my 50th :wheelchair: approaching, the old "get a watch to mark the occasion" thoughts started surfacing again. Financially times were better, broadband internet was a reality and a world of information about watches was but a few key clicks away. I found watch forums (this one first), manufacturers & retailers websites and any number of other sources of information. I also started to see photographs of those "pre-Bond" (as they were now called) Seamasters from time to time. The lust resurfaced and the hunt began - I was going to get one, no matter how long it took! What I hadn't counted on was the relative rarity of those "pre-Bond" Seamasters, especially the full size s/s COSC model which was the particular one I'd always wanted.

Last week, I finally found one! :thumbup: Fresh back from Bienne, all the bibs & bobs (incl all the replaced parts) - a full-size, 1986 Omega 2800.50 Seamaster COSC. Seller was just up the road in Sydney (hooray, no customs hassles!), watch was a fair price, so after some mutual sniffing of each others tails (as you do) the deal was done and the package arrived today. (sellers pics used with permission)

My fellow watch-tragics, may I present my holiest of holy grails:

DSC_1250.jpg

DSC_1221.jpg

DSC_1254.jpg

Delighted to report that, even after 16 years of pent-up desire and anticipation :inlove: (and never once having even laid eyes on the actual watch during that time!), the experience of actually wearing/holding this watch has fully lived up to my expectations. Weird, huh? I guess we were just meant to be together after all! :friends:

If you've stayed to the end, thanks! :cheers:

Dave

If you've stayed to the end, thanks! :cheers:

Dave

Taking a lunch break...and read every word. :yes:

Thrilled for you, Dave. Superb!!! :thumbup:

Aaaw! Innit' nice when things come together? :man_in_love:

:cheers: and health to wear it! :yes:

I'm so glad it met with your expectaion

Well, looking at it i think it would meet mine,

It looks superb,

Well done, its good when a plan comes together

Regards steve

I`m glad you finally managed to get one, the SM200 is a great watch :thumbsup:

I got mine from the forum back in 2005 ( see HERE), it was my first Omega & the most expensive watch I`d so far bought, I still love it :wub:

OmegaPEDSC_0003.jpg

BTW, I know what you mean about the SMP300, particularly the `Bond` model, I can`t get on with them myself :no:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

I`m glad you finally managed to get one, the SM200 is a great watch :thumbsup:

I got mine from the forum back in 2005 ( see HERE), it was my first Omega & the most expensive watch I`d so far bought, I still love it :wub:

Seeing it was your first Omega, Mac, I now understand why I couldn't talk you into parting with it! :lol:

PS Have you shagged it yet :lol:

Yeah I know, it's sad the way grown men can get all weak-knee'd over a mere watch..... :to_become_senile: