• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Chromejob

Submariner Auto Homages: Which Is The Best Value?

I've been toying with the idea of a Submariner repro/lookalike that I could fit with the correct NATO "Goldfinger" strap. A classic look that few aficionados (as well as spy movie geeks) would appreciate. The idea of a replica Rolex doesn't appeal to me, due to the usual questions: "is it real," "why wear a fake," "you snobby nob." Besides, for the same money, you can get a watch with a known movement (not luck of the draw). Based on some casual reading here, I gather that some of the "homage" models are in fact fine watches, come with quality movements,... and that's not even counting some of the small watchmakers who make similar models in the $1000-2500 range (at which point, I ask, why not find a vintage authentic Rolex to spiff up).

Sounds like the Invicta 8926 has a Miyota (Japanese) movement that moves 6 beats per second, winds counterclockwise only, and has a very nice solid (not folded) bracelet. A bargain for US$70-96. Looks pretty similar to a Submariner. It seems that, unless you get a lemon, this is a very good watch for the price, never mind the appearance.

41-UQB2gUpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Orient 2ER00001B runs on a a higher quality (?) Japanese movement, also looks very close. Beyond that ... please educate me. Roughly US$126 here. Orient has some very attractive two-tone (2ER00004D) and two-tone with blue dial (2ER00003B) models for a wee bit more, should one wish to deviate from Goldfinger-authenticity for the sake of dressiness.

41aXHjAbP-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg41D3myncFxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg411uMP78ZDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Invicta 9937 appears to be a similar case to the 8926, slightly smaller bezel numbers, same (?) high quality bracelet, but with a Swiss movement ticking at a more accurate 8 beats per second, auto winds both ways. Roughly US$290, a bit pricier, but with a movement that's worth the expense(?). The Invictas appear to have a more discreet emblem on the dial.

41i5t0074pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51tyAclKITL._AA300_.jpg

Now, I thought Invicta was a cheap barnd, based on the lower priced, gaudy stuff I've seen in stores here. If it's a reputable and reliable Swiss marque, it's something I'm just now learning. Again, feel free to tutor me.

The Grovana Coral Reef and the Steinhart/Debaufre Ocean series are top quality "homages" with Swiss ETA 2824 movements, but expect to pay a lot more for them new than the Invicta and Orients.

The Grovana Coral Reef and the Steinhart/Debaufre Ocean series are top quality "homages" with Swiss ETA 2824 movements, but expect to pay a lot more for them new than the Invicta and Orients.

Good call DMP - I've had a Grovana & quality is excellent - The Steinhart would be up here with it too - Either of these would be my homage of choice ... Paul :thumbsup:

PS - The Alpha 'Sub' would be on my list if budget was tight though I'd be looking for a decent bracelet as theirs are a bit ropey!

Hi Dave,

I can't really comment on the merits of either as i have only ever had a pre 1991 Invicta which was stolen while i went swimming 20 years ago.

It came with a nice Victorinox pen knife type case opener which i still have.

But back to the reason i am posting. My son wanted a recommendation for a cheepish watch for work.

While doing my reaserch i found Invicta Watch Group has an interesting wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invicta_Watch_Group.

From that i think if the choise is Invicta, it would have to be the Swiss made one.

Regards steve

Any of the above would make a great choice and here's another worth considering.... I have this Sandoz sub which is very nicely put together and has a 25 jewelled ETA movement. Very good VFM IMHO - have fun choosing :)

sandozSubmariner_006HDR.jpg

I have the INvicta 8926.

You best bargain if you want this one is to keep an eye on amazon.com - got mine for 70 dollars. If you live in the USA and can get free shipping, then this is good vfm.

I also have an Alpha explorer 2 (not in the same league as the INvicta) The Invicta has the Miyota movement (subsidery company of citizen- it is a good movement).

Other homage watches mentioned here are also good but the price has to be kept in mind, as the invicta will probably be the cheapest one of all.

However, some peoples experience with invicta is not so good.

I`ve owned a couple of Orient `subs`, very nice well made watches though strangely they somehow didn`t feel quite the same quality as other Orients I have.

I`ve not owned or handled the Invicta version but I have had other Invictas & good though they are I think Orient watches are better.

I briefly had a Grovana & as has been said previously it was excellent quality however for some reason I can`t quite explain I didn`t gel with it & decided to flip almost imediately. I seem to remember that the case was different to the `sub` it felt more bloated, now the fact that it was different didn`t matter but somehow in hand & particularly on the wrist I just didn`t like it :no:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

I have an Orient, not the sub style but the Mako, and I think it's fantastic and it's found it's way onto my wrist more often than most of the others. Highly recommended.

G

I totally agree with mach. The orient sub is more expensive than the invicta but is a lot better. However, I would also note that the invicta looks very close to the rolex, more so than the orient, so if you are looking for something that is close to the rolex sub, then still invicta. The orient (unless I am wrong) is double the price of the invicta. (worth the money though).

I have the Orient and the Alpha - both excellent in their way, but for me, the orient is just "better" all round, a little more 'sophisticated', hard to explain.

2009-07-31OrientSub4.jpg

2009-07-31Sub1.jpg

2009-07-31AlphaOrient1.jpg

Best value? Well the Alpha is third of the price - so nothwithstanding the Orient is a "better" watch, the Alpha is better value without doubt.

The Marcello C Nettuno N3 is the best I've ever had.

That would be my choice. I have the Tridente which is bigger and nothing can touch it for the price. You can also choose the color of your bezel and dial. They'll even fit different hands if that's what you want.

Tridente on the left. Pic from the net.

7.jpg

I'd go for a steinhart/debaufre ocean... there was a nice "vintage red" model steiny on the sales forums too i think. (don't quote me on that)

Anyway! good luck with the search!

Nick

The Marcello C Nettuno N3 is the best I've ever had.

That would be my choice. I have the Tridente which is bigger and nothing can touch it for the price. You can also choose the color of your bezel and dial. They'll even fit different hands if that's what you want.

Tridente on the left. Pic from the net.

7.jpg

yup the nettuno 3 is superb (the tridente is just a sqeak too big for my taste) had one, loved it & moved it on for what i paid for it with no problem.

and just different enough to be good in its own right.

this is the watch that stopped me buying a sub because it just wasnt worth the extra dosh.

pity marcello c dont do an explorer :ph34r:

IMG_0017.jpg

i had the invicta bi-metal the op showed - bought here used - a superb beater and not too blingy.

a great used buy now that invicta seem to be over their quality issues with crowns/stems and tubes and so forth.

Edited by desmondus rotundus

Ah, the weird world of sub-homages/fakes. :D

I had an 8926, it was bought for me about 2001. I was very impressed with the build quality, the fit and finish was A1, easily on par with any Seiko or Citizen that I have owned. The bracelet was the best that I have ever owned and that includes a Deepsea. I was already familiar with the Miyota, a proven, reliable movement. I wore it mainly as a holiday watch and after maybe 20 holidays of beach and sea use it remained 90+% like new.

I sold it on this forum as an O&W took over holiday duties and the over use of the "Invicta" logo drove me crackers.

Best value watch that I have ever owned or am ever likely to ever own. I don't think that you will be able to say the same about a £200-£400 sub-a-like.

Robert Poseidon (Google 'Robert Uhren') - I have no experiance of the brand but it has to be one of the coolest names out there! :thumbup:

Subs come in at 315 euros.

YouTube

Had my poseidon for over a year now...good value and time keeping is excellent

Runs at +2 sec a day.

Robert11.jpg

Robert05-1.jpg

• Like 1

I have recently aquired an Alpha Sub

alpharu.jpg

Feels really comfortable on the wrist, really like the bracelet although the clasp is a bit cheap. Unscrewing the crown isn't very smooth, handwinding and setting the time feels gritty. Movement is cheap as you can get, doesn't beat very fast. The date wheel isn't printed very well and the cyclops does a really bad job of magnifying it. Hands are lumed in green, markers are lumed with less bright white lume. Apart from those niggles, it keeps good time, it feels good on the wrist and looks pretty good. Not bad for a toy.

Edited by Andy the Squirrel

I have the Orient and the Alpha - both excellent in their way, but for me, the orient is just "better" all round, a little more 'sophisticated', hard to explain.

2009-07-31AlphaOrient1.jpg

Best value? Well the Alpha is third of the price - so nothwithstanding the Orient is a "better" watch, the Alpha is better value without doubt.

Interesting ... in your macro shots, the Alpha has some better detailing to my eye ... finder font on the bezel, nice silver surround on the bezel's "00" lumin mark, more delicate coin-edge.

So far I understand that the Orient is 2x that of the Invicta 8926, the 8926 is a Miyota 6bps movement ... the Orient also has a Japanese movement, right? Based on what I'm reading here, one could get an Orient,... or graduate upwards to a Swiss movement, with the 9937, or these other fine watches everyone's suggested. I appreciate all the tips, it's nice to find so many that are good VFM. :)

I'd go for a steinhart/debaufre ocean... there was a nice "vintage red" model steiny on the sales forums too i think. (don't quote me on that)

Thanks, Nick; yes, that's one of the models that got me scratching my chin....

Edited by David Spalding

This thread makes me very angry.

Angry because of the word "homage" when in fact they are nothing more than a cheap rip off of a classic design.

At least let's be honest and admit what they are.

Homage ?

Give me a break.

They are cheap immitations.

Fakes.

• Haha 1

Angry because of the word "homage" when in fact they are nothing more than a cheap rip off of a classic design.

Homage ?

Give me a break.

Fakes.

Tsk...Tsk.. Still reeling from your bitchslapping I see... I'll give you a break and not speak my mind How's that Susy?

Edited by BlueKnight

Homage ?

Give me a break.

Fakes.

I already registered your opinion for you, spell check and all, no post req'd. It's not Swiss, f*** it. It's a Swiss movement, but not a Rolex, s**** it. It looks nice, keeps accurate time, but cost < US$4000, it's trash.

Yeah, whatever. Don't let it ruin your day.