• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Chromejob

Submariner Auto Homages: Which Is The Best Value?

I have the Orient and the Alpha - both excellent in their way, but for me, the orient is just "better" all round, a little more 'sophisticated', hard to explain.

2009-07-31OrientSub4.jpg

2009-07-31Sub1.jpg

2009-07-31AlphaOrient1.jpg

Best value? Well the Alpha is third of the price - so nothwithstanding the Orient is a "better" watch, the Alpha is better value without doubt.

Saw this post, loved the Alpha and just bought it on E bay new, Oooooo thats three watches this month, an Ivicta oversize dive, a Nautica oversize dive and now this.......I better take a break- have my eye on yet another----(must not pull the trigger)!

This is mine, not an auto but for <£10 I can't complain :P

folex.JPG

off topic but what's the black pvd watch on the left? thanks

It's a Traser Code Blue, but it's not PVD it's a carbon fibre case with tritium vial markers.

65084003701.jpg

Edited by Clum

This is mine, not an auto but for <£10 I can't complain :P

folex.JPG

off topic but what's the black pvd watch on the left? thanks

It's a Traser Code Blue, but it's not PVD it's a carbon fibre case with tritium vial markers.

65084003701.jpg

thanks

I was a little dissatisified with the Steinhart hands on my Ocean Black DLC (ice cream cone versus Rolex lollypop hour hand, color somewhat lighter than hour markers), so I had a watchsmith transplant some Omega SM300 hands to it (along with a MK II sweep seconds hand in matching steel), and voila -- retro Milsub chic. The Omega hands glow like m*****-f*****s making it pretty much what I believe the MoD had in mind when they did this to Omega Seamasters in 1969(?) and then the Rolex 5517s.

20110228-3860_ocean1black_milsubnow_detail.jpg

Steinhart's Ocean One Vintage Red, with domed acrylic crystal, no cyclops, and classic 5513 looks, would be a superb candidate for this kind of mod.

Edited by David Spalding

Steinhart's Ocean One Vintage Red, with domed acrylic crystal, no cyclops, and classic 5513 looks, would be a superb candidate for this kind of mod.

Oh yeah, I fully agree! It would make a great Mil-Sub look-a-like. The lume on the Vintage Red is also better than on the Ocean 1 (It's superluminova something instead of superluminova something-else :D )

Liked the mod, congrats!

Oh yeah, I fully agree! It would make a great Mil-Sub look-a-like. The lume on the Vintage Red is also better than on the Ocean 1 (It's superluminova something instead of superluminova something-else :D )

Liked the mod, congrats!

:drinks: Thanks. :cheers: FYI, I believe the OBDLC and O1VR both have Superluminova C3 Green on the dials and hands. I HAVE seen 1 or 2 OBDLC buyers for whom Gunter swapped a O1VR dial in, which looks *almost* the same, but the red dial marking gives a different vintage Rolex ("Double Red") look. I thought of it, but ... the Milsubs had white on black "maxi-dials" and (T) marking IIRC. I think I'm standing pat on this.

(Steinhart's discontinued Ocean Vintage (with a COMEX-like dial) might've been dandy. Wonder if still has some of those dials.... :think: I'd decided against one though because I like the white-on-black date wheel.)

I hope it's not widespread, but there are reports on WUS of new-bezel Ocean Ones with bezels that wiggle south-to-north and can be lifted 1-2mm from the case. :huh: Shades of the fellow who complained about a Orient Sub with that problem....

... Here's another Q&D shot, on an 18mm "Bond regimental NATO" from our host. I've posted a couple of hard-won lume pics in my "Better At Night" topic.

20110228-3851_ocean1black_milsubnow_smallbondstrap_640.jpg

Edited by David Spalding

20110228-3851_ocean1black_milsubnow_smallbondstrap_640.jpg

Thanks for all the info, let's just hope the new models are nicer than the new GMT/DSSD hybrid. I like most Steinhart watches but these new ones are just fugly as hell.

Regarding that strap, it really is a Bond strap, shorter than the lugs and all :D :wink:

Regarding that strap, it really is a Bond strap, shorter than the lugs and all :D :wink:

BTW, bought from RLT Watches. :rltrlt:

BTW, bought from RLT Watches. :rltrlt:

makes you wonder why it was smaller, anyone know?

In the JB film? If it is, here some info http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=42801&drgn=1

This is believed to be the watch Ian Fleming was actually describing in print, his own watch which was an Explorer 1 1016.

Copyright Dell Deaton:

rolex-explorer-1016-jbw007-20100201v800.jpg

there are a number of storied regarding the goldfinger watch, one I heard is Cubby broccoli wasn't happy with the watch the props dept had for the film so used his own rolex, however it didn't fit Connery and someone on the crew donated their one piece (not a nato) nylon strap.

Dave, nice pics, I've had an Orient and an 8926, I don't know why, maybe the face font, but the Orient looked weedy in comparison, it didn't look right.

I sold the 8926 on here as I was only wearing it as a holiday watch, but I never get tired of telling people what a fabulous bargain it was. I've spent more on bracelets that the Invicta 8926 cost and the bracelet that comes with it is way better those bracelets! I've had many watches with the same Miyota movement and all have proved fault free and with good power reserves. Negatives, I didin't like the Invicta logo, which is also on the case side and clasp and the indice rings were too shiny for me, nitpicking I suppose rather than negatives. To non-Wis's, the watch looks a million dollars, it's a hefty piece, wears large and has a proven movement and a good bracelet (at any price), it can't be beaten for "value" IMO.

However, I'd buy the Sandoz :blink: I've been looking for one for quite a while now, it's better looking IMO, simple as that. Great pic Mark. The well known supplier never has them in stock and I can't find one in the EU, if anybody knows where I can get one (EU), then please let me know.

Not sure I mentioned that the O1VR and O1DLC use Superluminova C3 Green ... the regular Ocean Ones use Superluminova C1 white.

In the JB film? If it is, here some info http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=42801&drgn=1

That thread is full of inaccuracies, but then a lot of the "facts" are speculation or hearsay anyway. E.g. that Rolex declined to give them a watch for DR. NO so Broccoli took his off and loaned it to the prop/wardrobe dept. I can't recall if that's ever been corroborated. We presumably saw the same a little closer in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE ("I'm sorry, you DID say your clock was correct?" "Sir, Russian clocks are ALWAYS--") with the crown pulled out. The closest view was in GOLDFINGER, of course, again presumably the same, but this time not on black/brown croc but on that intriguing strap of unk origin.

20100731-a01_goldfinger_watch_details_435.jpg

I've made some long searches through medal books and regimental & school tie references (the latter from 1968 or so, considered comprehensive and definitive), and can't find a match for the double-stripe pattern. There was a very similar color pattern (single-stripe) for the ... let's see if I remember ... Royal Naval Reserve Wireless Long Service & Good Conduct medal for non-commissioned (aka enlisted). My guess is that it was either on a crewmember's wrist, or bought local to the studio, and size matching wasn't a concern (I imagine Hamilton or someone saying, "who'll notice, it'll be on screen for < 3 seconds?").

For my money, the Corvus Real Bond straps are spot on, but so tightly woven as to be a bit insubstantial. Several people make nice 5513 homages that satisfied my yearning for a "Goldfinger watch."

... Have I already said all this? I must be getting :wheelchair: . Where's that nurse with my afternoon cocoa and sponge bath?

That thread is full of inaccuracies, but then a lot of the "facts" are speculation or hearsay anyway. E.g. that Rolex declined to give them a watch for DR. NO so Broccoli took his off and loaned it to the prop/wardrobe dept. I can't recall if that's ever been corroborated.

I'll ask my Uncle Sean the next time I speak to him, if anybody knows he will.

:lol: :lol: