• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Do You Drive? What Would You Like To Drive?

born t

On 12/01/2021 at 15:36, Biker said:

HAH, I am just about to put my S3 BMW diesel on the market.  I think the tide of change is still a ways off as it still takes a larger carbon footprint to build and run an electric car for 15 years than it does a regular car for the same time frame.

As renewable power sources proliferate this will, of course change, but not in the next decade, despite what Greta dictates.

I like that colour.  :thumbsup:  Did you need to get it modded for your legs?

Do you have a source for that?

9 hours ago, Biker said:

Has anyone here ever built a kit car?

My late cousin did, a Dutton Phaeton in the 80's I think. He was a clever guy, spoke Russian, software programmer, restored and collected vintage pinball/ fruit machines. Eccentric and dead by 55 last year :(

From memory it had a 1600cc ford engine, was geared for 0-90mph and was crazy quick and low on the road. He never built a second kit car, which is telling, instead buying off the shelf, normal stuff like Subaru.

3 minutes ago, Biker said:

Unfortunately not it was on several clickthroughs from a BBC article, it was part of an environmental report from an American university.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51977625

This piece indicates that EVs' emissions are about 70% lower over the life of the vehicle. They are 100% lower when it comes to pollution in built up areas that causes deaths through respiratory diseases.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/09/fossil-fuels-pollution-deaths-research

We should all still ride our bikes more.

Yeah, the piece I read, took into account all of the carbon emissions created in the manufacture and maintenance lifecycle, the batteries are still very carbon intensive for manufacture and at the time most cars needed a full suite of replacement batteries every 5 years, then the emissions and environmental impact of recycling the batteries.

It was an interesting read but the main thing I got out of it is that the transfer from fossil fuels to renewables is going to take far longer than the proponents will care to admit, I personally welcome the demise of fossil fuels but I am afraid they are going to be around for a long time albeit in a constantly diminishing capacity.

I found it when I was looking into Boris' sweeping statement about stopping the production of fossil fuelled vehicles in the next few years, I was looking to see what infrastructure he was going to put into place to support EVs and who was going to pay for, then, where is all the electricity coming from.  It was a great wee bit of research but I never kept any because I had no further use for it.

21 hours ago, eezy said:

Once fitted a brand new bodyshell on a Mini, does that count?:whistle:

Car in question was about 4 years old and severely bent. Was a nice car when done, until that is, a few weeks later, my niece met a bus head on in the lanes and wrote it off again. Gave up then

Yeah, course it does, I was just wondering if such things were still available and how difficult are they now all of these gimmick electronics seem to proliferate.

I like my old BMW as the only bit of tech it had was ABS, the rest of it was down to the driver being able to drive, and I would like to think kit cars are along the same vein.

1 minute ago, al_kaholik said:

Mostly France. Provided by nuclear power! 

To many peoples chagrin, I am a proponent of nuclear power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

Mostly France. Provided by nuclear power! 

It will take a long time to exhaust existing capacity. Provided the bulk of charging is done off-peak, there's plenty of time to introduce more capacity. Also, refining petrol uses vast amounts of electricity.

In the medium term, the biggest issue is at local substations: where you have a few dozen EVs trying to charge overnight, then their capacity will need to be increased. But I know a few people generating most of their miles from their own roofs.

47 minutes ago, Wowbagger said:

It will take a long time to exhaust existing capacity. Provided the bulk of charging is done off-peak, there's plenty of time to introduce more capacity. Also, refining petrol uses vast amounts of electricity.

In the medium term, the biggest issue is at local substations: where you have a few dozen EVs trying to charge overnight, then their capacity will need to be increased. But I know a few people generating most of their miles from their own roofs.

Peak capacity and the ability for the assets not to be stressed continuously is the key. As you say, substations and a number of the assets inside will cause problems. 

The condition of assets and the cost and timescales to refurbish and replace is not short and we need to be moving quickly to alleviate this. 

1 hour ago, Wowbagger said:

We should all still ride our bikes more.

Definitely. Steel frame, single speed, no worries.

17 minutes ago, Biker said:

I'd like to get to this position :thumbsup:

I had 20+years totally off grid. Wind turbine, solar panels (photovoltaic for electric, and water heaters) electric power stored in reclaimed submersible/submarine cells. And a Lister diesel generator for emergencies, which I only remember having to use a couple of times due to icing. Everything home built and assembled apart from the turbine, which was a nautical unit, and a quality voltage invertor. I had one turbine fail, and the photovoltaic panels do degenerate over a period of years, but the technology can be kept simple, and easy to manage. Due to my location, the turbine produced the most power year round.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker said:

To many peoples chagrin, I am a proponent of nuclear power.

I live a couple of miles from a Nuclear power station so so am I 

So long as it doesn't do a Chernobyl on us we'll be fine. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

On the kit car thing possibly it's legislation rather than advanced technology that has made it less popular these days. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biker said:

I was just wondering if such things were still available and how difficult are they now all of these gimmick electronics seem to proliferate.

Apparently so. There are over 100 kit car manufacturers listed including the likes of Dutton and Gentry who are still going.

Gentry will still make you a kit for the replica MG TF for £8k. It looks like it comes with pretty much everything from chassis to dashboard and all body parts.

I would imagine all the electrics now come with multi plug harnesses rather than having to sort where each individual wire goes.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit to driving a dirty great V6 diesel Mercedes ML

mainly due to the fact that I like it and secondly it suits easy access with a dodgy back

I have been thinking about the next motor and I’ve always wanted a Porsche but with my back it would have to be Panamera or a cayenne and I’ve had a Touareg previously so it looks like a Panamera

• 2 weeks later...

I have to comment here, seeing as the delightfully fragrant  Ruthie is obviously flabbergasted and overcome to see your car gone. Has it been nicked, has it been reclaimed, has it been sold, is it at the valeters? 

C'mon, mate give us a clue. German, Italian, Japanese, American....dare I say it (suppressing a giggle) British.......

Go on...a Morgan +4.....an MGB roadster.....a TR6......?

8 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I have to comment here, seeing as the delightfully fragrant  Ruthie is obviously flabbergasted and overcome to see your car gone. Has it been nicked, has it been reclaimed, has it been sold, is it at the valeters? 

C'mon, mate give us a clue. German, Italian, Japanese, American....dare I say it (suppressing a giggle) British.......

Go on...a Morgan +4.....an MGB roadster.....a TR6......?

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, I've sold it mate, and spent all of my recent inheritance (and a bit more...) on something really special.  Delivery day tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait........... :whistle:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Delivery day tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait........

Your bonnet and pipe will arrive by courier today between 13.42 and 23.17. Your drivers name is Augustus Flatulence.

bd58ae6f58d46260b111a0b9e8607452.png

30 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, I've sold it mate, and spent all of my recent inheritance (and a bit more...) on something really special.  Delivery day tomorrow, so you won't have long to wait........... :whistle:

Do Fossil make vehicles?

• Haha 1

We've had an XC40 B4 for about a month now and are very happy. We toyed it up and it's a very nice successor to out 2017 Q3. It feels like a big car inside and out. The driving position is high which the wife likes and I do prefer driving it to the Q3 despite not really being an SUV person. 

It's also significantly bigger in load space and rear leg and head room than the Q3. Even compared to the new model Q3 we much preferred this

I found myself in an odd situation the other day. The other half has been talking of changing her car for some time. She has a Nissan Almera, which must be about 4-5 years old. It's great, motors along quite nicely, considering it's a big frame on a 1.2  engine, with huge amounts of legroom and luggage space. She was in Hua Hin for the weekend, so as she has been talking about the Mazda CX-30 , we went to have a look, but that was soon dismissed as there's not much leg room in the back and poor luggage space, whereas the Mazda3 was warmly received, I had a go in the drivers seat and I just thought it all a bit bland for a big saloon, it was too low and didn't really do anything for me.

She also talks of me changing mine, but I love my Mazda pick up and no intention of changing it for a couple of years yet, albeit it's now 7 years old. Its great for Thailand, it's high-up, tough as old boots, goes like a bomb, great water clearance for localised flooding and it's just perfect for me.

IMG-0026-1.jpg

So anyway, after finishing with Mazda, she wanted to look at the MG HS. I was okay with that, I wanted to look at their pick-up offering. So anyway, she was really taken by the HS, as was I, it was very nice. Sliding roof might be a bit surplus to requirements here, but everything else was great. The size of the engine worried me, a 1.5 turbo and subsequent reading suggests that might be a weak point in certain situations. So I said, why don't you test drive it and the next thing I know, the rather lovely sales lady came up to me and said, 'Mr Phil, when would be a good time for your test drive.' I said, no not me...... and then it dawned on me, I'd been set up.

Anyway, the test drive on Thursday and if in 2 years, I still like it a lot and if it has a bigger engine, it could be an option! Looks good in silver.

Edited by Caller.