• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Do You Drive? What Would You Like To Drive?

born t

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really into German cars though I had an Audi 80 once & my wife has a Merc C180 coupe that I drive often. It's a 2007 so a bit long in the tooth now but still low mileage (70,000). She's on about changing it as we have a 2 year old grand-daughter & getting the car seat in/out is an utter pain. She loves the thing but isn't sure what to change it for. We can't afford anything brand spanking showroom new but the writing's on the wall for the internal combustion engine so maybe a hybrid/ electric of some sort??

I own a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi which I bought off my 91 year old Dad earlier in the year - partly to get him off the roads & partly because I fancied a newer lower mileage car. The Kizashi's a  big(ish), comfortable 2.4 litre auto dripping in technical gimcrackery! It's pretty much the complete opposite of the 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport I owned before it which was huge fun to drive, fairly basic in comparison & not particularly comfortable. The Kizashi's a nice car though & having a bit of leather/luxury is a change for me. I like it :) 

However going back to the German cars comment I made earlier if I were to change it I quite like the look of the BMW 1 series coupe  - not sure which model but something with a bit of oomph.

Regarding the Audi TT it's surprising how little money the older versions go for these days. They are, I think, an iconic design & if any modern(ish) car is destined to become a classic then this is it. Though they're that old now you probably can insure them on classic policies now.

Talking of classics, not that I claim it to be one, my other car is a 1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1. It is, or was, my mid-life crisis or, as some have said, my 4 wheeled motorbike. I've fitted an 1800 zetec engine & uprated the suspension and brakes. Fun to drive but not really sensible transport :thumbs_up:

20210531_164504.jpg

20210408_183010.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo

I drive a Toyota Yaris which gets around 40 miles per gallon on long trips. We live out in the country a bit. Ive been thinking of adding a Jeep and trailer or small pickup truck for making runs to the home supply store and removing junk, etc. We just made a trip of 1462mi on our vaction to the seashore in North Carolina. I was amazed that my 2008 Toyota still has that efficiency. I dont want to part with it. But its obvious that for errands and working the yard we need a little truck of sorts. Ive long said that a compact Japanese car in the driveway and a Jeep in the garage is what the doctor ordered...not neccessarily in that order.

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

I'm not really into German cars though I had an Audi 80 once & my wife has a Merc C180 coupe that I drive often. It's a 2007 so a bit long in the tooth now but still low mileage (70,000). She's on about changing it as we have a 2 year old grand-daughter & getting the car seat in/out is an utter pain. She loves the thing but isn't sure what to change it for. We can't afford anything brand spanking showroom new but the writing's on the wall for the internal combustion engine so maybe a hybrid/ electric of some sort??

I own a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi which I bought off my 91 year old Dad earlier in the year - partly to get him off the roads & partly because I fancied a newer lower mileage car. The Kizashi's a  big(ish), comfortable 2.4 litre auto dripping in technical gimcrackery! It's pretty much the complete opposite of the 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport I owned before it which was huge fun to drive, fairly basic in comparison & not particularly comfortable. The Kizashi's a nice car though & having a bit of leather/luxury is a change for me. I like it :) 

However going back to the German cars comment I made earlier if I were to change it I quite like the look of the BMW 1 series coupe  - not sure which model but something with a bit of oomph.

Regarding the Audi TT it's surprising how little money the older versions go for these days. They are, I think, an iconic design & if any modern(ish) car is destined to become a classic then this is it. Though they're that old now you probably can insure them on classic policies now.

Talking of classics, not that I claim it to be one, my other car is a 1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1. It is, or was, my mid-life crisis or, as some have said, my 4 wheeled motorbike. I've fitted an 1800 zetec engine & uprated the suspension and brakes. Fun to drive but not really sensible transport :thumbs_up:

20210531_164504.jpg

20210408_183010.jpg

Today I stopped at the ice cream stand with my wife and son. Next to us was an Audi and my wife commented on how unimpressive it appeared compared to so many other cars in that size category. I agreed. So it has leather seats and can achieve 80mph a few seconds faster than my Toyota can. My Toyota can hold its own, gets better fuel efficiency, and the seats dont become glued to my butt in hot weather! I really feel that these high-end German cars are overrated. Incidentally, I have a German cousin who drives a late model Opel around Nuremberg. Good little practicql car comparable to my Yaris, I suppose. Around here in my corner of the U.S the Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porsche...are all the choices of the gated-community dwelling exclusive snob. Although personally I have an acceptance for Volvos in spite of their fit into that "expensive European import with power-everything" category. There is something more utilitarian and reliable about them in spite of their slight poshness.