Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Do You Drive? What Would You Like To Drive?


born t
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not really into German cars though I had an Audi 80 once & my wife has a Merc C180 coupe that I drive often. It's a 2007 so a bit long in the tooth now but still low mileage (70,000). She's on about changing it as we have a 2 year old grand-daughter & getting the car seat in/out is an utter pain. She loves the thing but isn't sure what to change it for. We can't afford anything brand spanking showroom new but the writing's on the wall for the internal combustion engine so maybe a hybrid/ electric of some sort??

I own a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi which I bought off my 91 year old Dad earlier in the year - partly to get him off the roads & partly because I fancied a newer lower mileage car. The Kizashi's a  big(ish), comfortable 2.4 litre auto dripping in technical gimcrackery! It's pretty much the complete opposite of the 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport I owned before it which was huge fun to drive, fairly basic in comparison & not particularly comfortable. The Kizashi's a nice car though & having a bit of leather/luxury is a change for me. I like it :) 

However going back to the German cars comment I made earlier if I were to change it I quite like the look of the BMW 1 series coupe  - not sure which model but something with a bit of oomph.

Regarding the Audi TT it's surprising how little money the older versions go for these days. They are, I think, an iconic design & if any modern(ish) car is destined to become a classic then this is it. Though they're that old now you probably can insure them on classic policies now.

Talking of classics, not that I claim it to be one, my other car is a 1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1. It is, or was, my mid-life crisis or, as some have said, my 4 wheeled motorbike. I've fitted an 1800 zetec engine & uprated the suspension and brakes. Fun to drive but not really sensible transport :thumbs_up:

20210531_164504.jpg

20210408_183010.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drive a Toyota Yaris which gets around 40 miles per gallon on long trips. We live out in the country a bit. Ive been thinking of adding a Jeep and trailer or small pickup truck for making runs to the home supply store and removing junk, etc. We just made a trip of 1462mi on our vaction to the seashore in North Carolina. I was amazed that my 2008 Toyota still has that efficiency. I dont want to part with it. But its obvious that for errands and working the yard we need a little truck of sorts. Ive long said that a compact Japanese car in the driveway and a Jeep in the garage is what the doctor ordered...not neccessarily in that order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

I'm not really into German cars though I had an Audi 80 once & my wife has a Merc C180 coupe that I drive often. It's a 2007 so a bit long in the tooth now but still low mileage (70,000). She's on about changing it as we have a 2 year old grand-daughter & getting the car seat in/out is an utter pain. She loves the thing but isn't sure what to change it for. We can't afford anything brand spanking showroom new but the writing's on the wall for the internal combustion engine so maybe a hybrid/ electric of some sort??

I own a 2013 Suzuki Kizashi which I bought off my 91 year old Dad earlier in the year - partly to get him off the roads & partly because I fancied a newer lower mileage car. The Kizashi's a  big(ish), comfortable 2.4 litre auto dripping in technical gimcrackery! It's pretty much the complete opposite of the 2007 Suzuki Swift Sport I owned before it which was huge fun to drive, fairly basic in comparison & not particularly comfortable. The Kizashi's a nice car though & having a bit of leather/luxury is a change for me. I like it :) 

However going back to the German cars comment I made earlier if I were to change it I quite like the look of the BMW 1 series coupe  - not sure which model but something with a bit of oomph.

Regarding the Audi TT it's surprising how little money the older versions go for these days. They are, I think, an iconic design & if any modern(ish) car is destined to become a classic then this is it. Though they're that old now you probably can insure them on classic policies now.

Talking of classics, not that I claim it to be one, my other car is a 1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1. It is, or was, my mid-life crisis or, as some have said, my 4 wheeled motorbike. I've fitted an 1800 zetec engine & uprated the suspension and brakes. Fun to drive but not really sensible transport :thumbs_up:

20210531_164504.jpg

20210408_183010.jpg

Today I stopped at the ice cream stand with my wife and son. Next to us was an Audi and my wife commented on how unimpressive it appeared compared to so many other cars in that size category. I agreed. So it has leather seats and can achieve 80mph a few seconds faster than my Toyota can. My Toyota can hold its own, gets better fuel efficiency, and the seats dont become glued to my butt in hot weather! I really feel that these high-end German cars are overrated. Incidentally, I have a German cousin who drives a late model Opel around Nuremberg. Good little practicql car comparable to my Yaris, I suppose. Around here in my corner of the U.S the Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porsche...are all the choices of the gated-community dwelling exclusive snob. Although personally I have an acceptance for Volvos in spite of their fit into that "expensive European import with power-everything" category. There is something more utilitarian and reliable about them in spite of their slight poshness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a BMW 3series and a Mercedes C220 and they were both.... uninspiring, very reliable, very dependable but dull.

Never been massively into cars, so I have never really got over-excited about them, however, I have always liked Rovers, which are now a thing of the past and I have always admired Jaguar cars.  So when I let my BMW3 go because I needed an estate, I decided to go for an older Jaguar X-Type, these have always got pelters because of the massive Ford influence but I think, Ford reliability and Jaguar finish, what's not to like?

Cheap as chips too.

I do however, have far too much self respect to ever have an Audi.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I upgraded my car in October, my previous was a 2008 Vauxhall Astra -Hatchback - Diesel, which I owned for nearly 10 years!

I bought an Audi A3 - 1.5 Petrol - Hatchback - I feel like a got a good deal - 2+ hours in the showroom, several chats with the showroom manager, I got the deal what I wanted.

I have been into cars on and off over the years, but I’ve picked watches as a cheaper more affordable hobby... :whistle:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Fiat 500 'Lounge'. Inherited from my late M-I-L. 13 plate, 20k on the clock to date. 1275cc engine, goes like SOAS...God knows what an 'Abarth' is like. £30 a year tax and less than £130 fully comp insurance.

Sheila has a Peugeot 'Roland Garros' 308CC (convertible).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2021 at 00:20, Roger the Dodger said:

A Fiat 500 'Lounge'. Inherited from my late M-I-L. 13 plate, 20k on the clock to date. 1275cc engine, goes like SOAS...God knows what an 'Abarth' is like.

I can tell you what an Abarth is like mate - Bloody brilliant!  I had one on a free upgrade from the car hire company when I was working in Austria a few years ago, and took it for a "spirited" spin one evening.  It's a car that just begs to be hammered, so that's what I did :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/06/2021 at 07:51, TimePassenger said:

Today I stopped at the ice cream stand with my wife and son. Next to us was an Audi and my wife commented on how unimpressive it appeared compared to so many other cars in that size category. I agreed. So it has leather seats and can achieve 80mph a few seconds faster than my Toyota can. My Toyota can hold its own, gets better fuel efficiency, and the seats dont become glued to my butt in hot weather! I really feel that these high-end German cars are overrated. Incidentally, I have a German cousin who drives a late model Opel around Nuremberg. Good little practicql car comparable to my Yaris, I suppose. Around here in my corner of the U.S the Audi, Mercedes, Land Rover, Porsche...are all the choices of the gated-community dwelling exclusive snob. Although personally I have an acceptance for Volvos in spite of their fit into that "expensive European import with power-everything" category. There is something more utilitarian and reliable about them in spite of their slight poshness.

Interesting take on it. 

Here in Blighty in social housing, what do you call it The Projects ?? It's awash with German metal and not a gate in sight. 

1613139197398-Image-1.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Interesting take on it. 

Here in Blighty in social housing, what do you call it The Projects ?? It's awash with German metal and not a gate in sight. 

1613139197398-Image-1.jpg

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

 

 

Folks whose priorities for automobiles outweigh their priorities for domestics, I guess.  What they save in housing they spend on cars. "The Projects" in the U.S., although similarly close together or even integrated, would be much grubbier and run-down than in your photo. If someone had a BMW or Mercedes there we'd surmise they must have some illicit business on the side to afford it. Those buildings and streets don't look too bad there. Maybe the people there are not well-to-do but everything looks clean and well-kept. 

Interesting point to make is that while British projects are apparently "social" , government regulated dwellings,  American ones are usually corporate with quite a diverse set of standards depending what area you live in. In some places that can be pretty bad. And our gated communities are just a high end, fancy version of the same idea. What I could never understand is why someone would pay so much money to live in adjoined housing with shared partitions, or for a house which looks just like the one next to it and you can hardly spit out the window without hitting something that belongs to your neighbor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TimePassenger said:

Folks whose priorities for automobiles outweigh their priorities for domestics, I guess.  What they save in housing they spend on cars. "The Projects" in the U.S., although similarly close together or even integrated, would be much grubbier and run-down than in your photo. If someone had a BMW or Mercedes there we'd surmise they must have some illicit business on the side to afford it. Those buildings and streets don't look too bad there. Maybe the people there are not well-to-do but everything looks clean and well-kept. 

Interesting point to make is that while British projects are apparently "social" , government regulated dwellings,  American ones are usually corporate with quite a diverse set of standards depending what area you live in. In some places that can be pretty bad. And our gated communities are just a high end, fancy version of the same idea. What I could never understand is why someone would pay so much money to live in adjoined housing with shared partitions, or for a house which looks just like the one next to it and you can hardly spit out the window without hitting something that belongs to your neighbor.

Sort of similar here, commonly known as housing associations, some are better than others, ours is probably not typical of a lot of them we were just lucky to get one here. They are "not for profit" organisations so rents are very reasonable. 

I worked off and on in America, our North American headquarters was in Chicago, so travelled around a bit over your way. 

:)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Sort of similar here, commonly known as housing associations, some are better than others, ours is probably not typical of a lot of them we were just lucky to get one here. They are "not for profit" organisations so rents are very reasonable. 

I worked off and on in America, our North American headquarters was in Chicago, so travelled around a bit over your way. 

:)

 

 

I like hearing these comparisons from so far away!. My German cousin is an electronics engineer. He also went to Chicago on business a few times and loved it. I have only been there briefly between flights a few times. I didnt like the way the entire airport seemed like it was run by CNN! Everything was CNN. Every shop, every TV in every bar and restaurant, etc. Their logo was everywhere. (Seig, HEIL!) 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Colin Belfast said:

Saw a lovely Jaguar XK120 in British Racing Green this morning, looking wonderful with the hood down.  (1952 - I checked the registration online) :thumbs_up:

Years ago against all the advice I dipped my toe in the Jag water, it was an itche that had to be scratched and a  rust bucket money pit that cost me more than the car was worth but the V12 motor was a sublime bit of British engineering, smoother than a smooth thing. 

:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, martinzx said:

 

 

My current runaround is an old Merc W220, 320CDI 200bhp and 490nm torque.  :thumbsup:

PHOTO_20190711_194017.jpg

PHOTO_20190711_194038.jpg

 


Hope ‘M‘ insists, when seated in the rear, your wear the appropriate headwear, Martin?
 

:biggrin:

:thumbsup:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/06/2021 at 02:35, BondandBigM said:

Years ago against all the advice I dipped my toe in the Jag water, it was an itche that had to be scratched and a  rust bucket money pit that cost me more than the car was worth but the V12 motor was a sublime bit of British engineering, smoother than a smooth thing. 

:)

I worked on the very first V12's as an apprentice at the Jaguar factory.

Some of the older apprentices were allowed to help load the transporters. One lad was loading an E type and the throttle stuck. He hit the loading ramp and leapt up the back of the trailer just stopping at the top. The throttle linkage had a sort of round swivel plate with an arm going to each bank of the 'V'. The swivel had gone too far and the arms went over centre and locked.

He always kept a clean pair of pants in his locker after that........

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, eezy said:

I worked on the very first V12's as an apprentice at the Jaguar factory.

Some of the older apprentices were allowed to help load the transporters. One lad was loading an E type and the throttle stuck. He hit the loading ramp and leapt up the back of the trailer just stopping at the top. The throttle linkage had a sort of round swivel plate with an arm going to each bank of the 'V'. The swivel had gone too far and the arms went over centre and locked.

He always kept a clean pair of pants in his locker after that........

Back in the day most smaller petrol stations, I seem to think Esso, had a couple of bays for services and Mot tests which independents could lease or rent. My cousin took one on. He had a Cortina on the ramps, reached inside to start it but unfortunately it was still in gear. 

It shot off the end and got wedged between the ramp and the back wall. 

Pretty much put him out of business 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

 

Edited by BondandBigM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

It shot off the end and got wedged between the ramp and the back wall. 

Not seen that but had many a one run off the rails and get stuck in the middle of the ramps.

Those 2 posters with 2 arms used to fill me with dread. Press the button and wait for the chassis/floor to start crunching

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...