• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Do You Drive? What Would You Like To Drive?

born t

• 3 weeks later...

I've had to admit defeat.  I can't share a car (2018 Mini Cooper) with the current wife, as we need it the same time.  We have tried, and not argued too much for 10 months, but my idea of having a classic for the 'odd time' we both needed transport hasn't worked.  The Lotus is enjoying another couple of weeks on a ramp again, and it is not safe in dark/rain as the heater and wipers were rubbish in 1968, and time has not improved them.

I wanted bigger and more comfortable for longer journeys.  No diesel (DPF's blocking on the short journeys), and auto box.  As the boot in the Mini is tiny an estate would be ideal, and winter in the countryside means 4x4 would be even better.  Budget is £5k, nothing French and preferably under 60k miles.  Doesn't have to be performance lead - I want comfort and still have the Lotus when it's sunny - but I prefer performance over economy every time.

What would the car buffs recommend?

Discounting French brands makes that a slightly tougher call since Stellantis now own 15 brands including Citroen/Peugeot, Fiat Chrysler, Jeep, Vauxhall and most of the Italian brands including Maserati.

I guess that leaves VAG group, Ford and the pseudo Japanese brands .......or Volvo which is chinese owned.

You need to avoid any engines which run a cambelt in oil. there is literally an explosion waiting to go off in those engines, in fact PSA are changing back to chain next year.

Stick to the classics and have some fun. I wish i still had my Granada Scorpio!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I've had to admit defeat.  I can't share a car (2018 Mini Cooper) with the current wife, as we need it the same time.  We have tried, and not argued too much for 10 months, but my idea of having a classic for the 'odd time' we both needed transport hasn't worked.  The Lotus is enjoying another couple of weeks on a ramp again, and it is not safe in dark/rain as the heater and wipers were rubbish in 1968, and time has not improved them.

I wanted bigger and more comfortable for longer journeys.  No diesel (DPF's blocking on the short journeys), and auto box.  As the boot in the Mini is tiny an estate would be ideal, and winter in the countryside means 4x4 would be even better.  Budget is £5k, nothing French and preferably under 60k miles.  Doesn't have to be performance lead - I want comfort and still have the Lotus when it's sunny - but I prefer performance over economy every time.

What would the car buffs recommend?

BMW 3 series touring, the E46 330 D's are unburstable and if properly looked after go forever. My mate has one as a daily hack and he racks up some serious miles, it's never missed a beat. 

And don't worry about winter just stick a couple of decent tyres on the rear end and learn to drive, I've never been stuck in either of my Beamers but then again I did my driving apprenticeship in Mk2 RS 2000's and 3.0 Ltr Capris in proper Scottish winters. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

1 hour ago, Biker said:

You can score a nice jaguar for 5K

You can - I have placed my order for a 42,000 mile two owner x type 2.5v6 auto estate, with 4 wheel drive, which also is old enough to pay less RFL on.

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting choice, but saloon and 120k on the clock as well as being diesel

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

BMW 3 series touring, the E46 330 D's are unburstable and if properly looked after go forever. My mate has one as a daily hack and he racks up some serious miles, it's never missed a beat. 

And don't worry about winter just stick a couple of decent tyres on the rear end and learn to drive, I've never been stuck in either of my Beamers but then again I did my driving apprenticeship in Mk2 RS 2000's and 3.0 Ltr Capris in proper Scottish winters. 

I trained as a BMW technician, where we had driving lessons from all sorts of people up to and including professional racing drivers.  Four things gripping and an experienced driver beats two things gripping and an experienced driver every time.  Jackie Stuart taught me that when he was aquaplaning down the hanger straight with me as a passenger, and he knew a few Scottish winters himself...

(Sorry about the name drop, I couldn't resist.  Michael Schumacher told me not name drop when he was ragging an E36 M3 round the same track with me in the back :biggrin:)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

You can - I have placed my order for a 42,000 mile two owner x type 2.5v6 auto estate, with 4 wheel drive, which also is old enough to pay less RFL on.

Interesting choice, but saloon and 120k on the clock as well as being diesel

I trained as a BMW technician, where we had driving lessons from all sorts of people up to and including professional racing drivers.  Four things gripping and an experienced driver beats two things gripping and an experienced driver every time.  Jackie Stuart taught me that when he was aquaplaning down the hanger straight with me as a passenger, and he knew a few Scottish winters himself...

(Sorry about the name drop, I couldn't resist.  Michael Schumacher told me not name drop when he was ragging an E36 M3 round the same track with me in the back :biggrin:)

A few years ago a lad at work bought a big 4x4 Isuzu, nothing will stop me he said...... Until he left the road at speed on the way to work and nearly cut the thing in half when he hit a concrete fence post sideways. 

So I'll take skill and 2WD over a four wheel drive and a numpty any winter of the Century 

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

A few years ago a lad at work bought a big 4x4 Isuzu, nothing will stop me he said...... Until he left the road at speed on the way to work and nearly cut the thing in half when he hit a concrete fence post sideways. 

So I'll take skill and 2WD over a four wheel drive and a numpty any winter of the Century 

physics will always win, but skill and 4wd will be able to tow you out of the hedge should you need it

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

You'll not be disappointed.  I genuinely like mine, especially when I put four decent tyres on it.

• Thanks 1