• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Having read lots of posts, one thing I've noticed is that watch chains and fobs and how different people wear their pocket watches are hardly ever mentioned. Being fairly new to pocket watches, I thought I would post a few pics (sorry about the quality) of my bits and pieces (steady Tiger!) and see what other members thought and maybe see some of their photos. I know a lot of watches are in collections and are not worn on a daily basis....indeed mine only comes out about 6 times a year.

This is a graduated link double Albert from 1910. The photo frame is Victorian (I preferred it to a sovereign case) and the fob is a Victorian Masonic ball.

RogersWatchPictures1-1.jpg

RogersWatchPictures2-1.jpg

RogersWatchPictures3.jpg

Sometimes I wear my watch with a fob strap.

RogersWatchPictures4.jpg

RogersWatchPictures8.jpg

Would like to read your opinions and see some other pics! Rog.

i have my 1929 silver pocket watch on a plain leather strap.

The strap has always been with the watch - great-gramps was an austere old chap in an austere time.

Stunning collection you have, Mr Dodger. Warms the heart to know they still see use.

Lucky lucky lucky!! I WANT A DOUBLE ALBERT CHAIN!!!

Haven't been able to get my hands on one that I can afford, though.

I do better than just having my watch clipped onto my chain, though. I HATE wristwatches. So I've been wearing a pocket watch every day for the past three years. And after I came into posession of a couple of waistcoats about three months ago, I can now do this...:

dinnerclothes.jpg

Took this shot in the kitchen before going out to dinner with family for Mother's Day. It was this watch and chain in my pocket:

wahlswatch.jpg

The fob is a simple gold-filled 50c piece, minted in 1977 for her Majesty's Silver Jubilee. The gold fountain pen clipped to the chain in the second picture is a 1925 Wahl Art Deco vest-pocket ringtop fountain pen. They were designed to be clipped to a Double Albert (like what you have, Roger), opposite to the watch, and be placed in a waistcoat pocket. The problem is, I don't have a DA chain yet, so I can't do it that way.

But I wear my watch with an albert and my waistcoat every day now, so none of this is weird to me anymore. In fact a lot of people have said how classy it looks...

Edited by Shangas

Hi Shangas!....OMG. :jawdrop: .that looks absolutely stunning! I can't post a pic of me in my waistcoat at the moment, cos my latest one has just gone to the tailors to have a proper 'watch hole' put in between the 2nd and 3rd button so I don't have to cram the 'T' bar into a button hole. Will try and get some better pics done when I get it back.

It can't be that stunning, can it!? Hahahaha.

My waistcoat is a black, wool, seven-button, four-pocket affair, so I don't really need ANOTHER buttonhole for the watch. Plus, I feel more secure when I have to "cram the T-bar into a buttonhole". That chain has saved my watch from several trips to the watchmaker. The watch is my 1957 Ball railroad watch. The pen is from 1925, the fob is from 1977...I'm not sure how old the chain is, though. Can't be too valuable or old. It's made of brass. Cost me all of $20 and it's as strong as all hell.

Edited by Shangas

i have my 1929 silver pocket watch on a plain leather strap.

The strap has always been with the watch - great-gramps was an austere old chap in an austere time.

Stunning collection you have, Mr Dodger. Warms the heart to know they still see use.

I think the leather strap is still commonly used in the States....when googling watch fobs, I've seen pictures of guys with their watch in the watch pocket of their jeans, (you know....that daft little pocket inside the right hand pocket that no-one knows what it's for!) and the tab (usually with an enamel badge) hanging out.

I don't like wearing a pocket-watch in one's trousers watch-pocket. I find it too uncomfortable and inconvenient.

It looks cooler if you do it the old-fashioned way with a waistcoat.

I don't like wearing a pocket-watch in one's trousers watch-pocket. I find it too uncomfortable and inconvenient.

It looks cooler if you do it the old-fashioned way with a waistcoat.

I totally agree....those little jeans pockets are usually too small to get a watch in nowadays. They're only put on as decoration I think..........

Wouldn't want to keep any watch in my trouser pocket. too much risk of damage.

Watches in waistcoats look excellent, but i'm not a formal-dress type of chap.

I usually have mine in the breast pocket of a combat-type jacket, attached via leather strap to a button hole.

Kind of wannabe military style.

I've always been a rather formal-dress sort of person (my school was the kind that had a uniform, so it was kind of drilled into me). Plus, it's winter here in Australia, so I wear my waistcoat for extra warmth as well as to wear my watch.

Sorry guys, but when I wear one of my pocket watches it goes in the trouser pocket with the chain attached to the belt, I`m very careful though & make sure to take it off if there`s a chance of potential damage :lookaround:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Sorry guys, but when I wear one of my pocket watches it goes in the trouser pocket with the chain attached to the belt, I`m very careful though & make sure to take it off if there`s a chance of potential damage :lookaround:

+1 most of the time, but occasionally with a waistcoat on a single Albert.

That's a lovely set Roger and the picture frame really works

I used to have a fair collection of fobs but I can only dig up one old pic

clocks010.jpg

There's a strap similar to yours there and a locket which holds a couple of pics.

I've got a couple of masonic balls as well (that just doesn't sound right :rolleyes: )

I often wondered if any were ever made in silver, I've never come across one

I normally wear mine with a waistcoat or use the lapel buttone hole and put the watch in my top pocket (a la Tim Wannacot)

It's a pity more watches aren't worn and kept in running order

Chris:)

clocks010.jpg

There's a strap similar to yours there and a locket which holds a couple of pics.

I've got a couple of masonic balls as well (that just doesn't sound right :rolleyes: )

I normally wear mine with a waistcoat or use the lapel buttone hole and put the watch in my top pocket (a la Tim Wannacot)

Thanks for your kind comments, Chris. I chose that particular photo locket because it is heavy enough to hold the chain in the pocket, and unusually, it's hinged at the bottom so it looks similar to a small watch or sovereign case (those sovereign cases of yours are superb, by the way....what a fabulous collection!) I must get round to putting in a picture of Dearly Beloved at some stage! I have seen some silver Masonic balls on the bay of E, but mostly they are gold on the outside and silver inside (as is mine). They used to oxidise the silver so when the symbols were engraved they showed up silver against a dark background. To see a really nice collection of Masonic balls, look here...

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/english_fob_collection.htm

Thanks for a great link Roger :thumbsup:

Really enjoyed looking (more like coveting) at them.

I'm resisting the temptation to get back into collecting :angel_not:

Chris :)

During winter, I find that wearing a pocket watch is more practical than wearing a wristwatch.

1. The cold watch-case and/or band isn't pressed up against your wrist. More comfortable.

2. Wearing a waistcoat keeps you warmer.

2. It's easier to pull a pocket-watch on its chain out of your pocket, than it is to pull up the sleeve of a winter coat, to check the time.

clocks010.jpg

Wow! Those masonic jewellers are fantastic. What workmanship and skill.

Mike

Thanks for your kind comments, Chris. I chose that particular photo locket because it is heavy enough to hold the chain in the pocket, and unusually, it's hinged at the bottom so it looks similar to a small watch or sovereign case (those sovereign cases of yours are superb, by the way....what a fabulous collection!) I must get round to putting in a picture of Dearly Beloved at some stage! I have seen some silver Masonic balls on the bay of E, but mostly they are gold on the outside and silver inside (as is mine). They used to oxidise the silver so when the symbols were engraved they showed up silver against a dark background. To see a really nice collection of Masonic balls, look here...

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/english_fob_collection.htm

These are a few more bits that I have for putting on an Albert---a couple of solid silver vesta cases from 1900 (one still has some original wax vestas in it), and a silver medal with a rose gold cartouche in the centre. Unfortunately, until I get a silver chain and watch, these will have to stay in the drawer as (personally) I don't think silver accessories on a gold chain go together. The other pics (if anyone's interested) are closeups of my masonic ball fob, closed, and going through the opening process. (sorry about the camera reflections---it's blimmin' hard trying to photograph shiny, spherical objects!)

RogersWatchPictures005-1.jpg

RogersWatchPictures007.jpg

This is the ball fob closed. The sections sre so meticulously crafted, you can hardly see the joins and hinges. Later balls have a cage at the top, rather than individual clips. Rog.

RogersWatchPictures001.jpg

RogersWatchPictures003.jpg

RogersWatchPictures004-1.jpg

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Very nice, Roger.

I have considered, several times, buying a vesta-case/pocket match-safe. But not to store matches...but double-edged razor-blades. Unfortunately I've never found one that's big enough.

My main hunt at the moment is to actually get my hands on a gold-filled or brass double albert chain (I'm far too poor to afford a SOLID gold one!).

Reading the title of this thread really made me wonder. It reads: "Watch Chains and Fobs" (How Do You Wear Yours?).

In this day and age, I think it would be better worded: "DO you wear yours?"

How many people on this forum who own pocket watches and chains, actually wear them? And if they don't, what do they do with them?

I've always wanted a nice pocket watch and chain. Now that I have them, I wear them literally every day. They're harder to lose, easier to read, larger to hold and classier to look at. So far, I've had four women compliment me on how classy it looks. Who else owns and wears a pocket watch? How often? And why? Or why not? Considering how much I paid for my watches, I have every intention of wearing them as often as possible...it is what they were created for, anyway...

Again, thanks for the pics Roger.

Vesta cases do like nice on a watch chain and they are surprisingly good value in todays market. I used to have a collection of them and by pure accident I moved them on when they were on a high (10-12 yrs ago). Since then prices have rapidly declined and it really is a good time to start collecting again :rolleyes:

Yes, I do think you need another watch and chain :wink2:

Very nice, Roger.

I have considered, several times, buying a vesta-case/pocket match-safe. But not to store matches...but double-edged razor-blades. Unfortunately I've never found one that's big enough.

My main hunt at the moment is to actually get my hands on a gold-filled or brass double albert chain (I'm far too poor to afford a SOLID gold one!).

Reading the title of this thread really made me wonder. It reads: "Watch Chains and Fobs" (How Do You Wear Yours?).

In this day and age, I think it would be better worded: "DO you wear yours?"

How many people on this forum who own pocket watches and chains, actually wear them? And if they don't, what do they do with them?

I've always wanted a nice pocket watch and chain. Now that I have them, I wear them literally every day. They're harder to lose, easier to read, larger to hold and classier to look at. So far, I've had four women compliment me on how classy it looks. Who else owns and wears a pocket watch? How often? And why? Or why not? Considering how much I paid for my watches, I have every intention of wearing them as often as possible...it is what they were created for, anyway...

I couldn't agree more, Shangas. I'll let you in on a secret...my double Albert is a gold filled one, but then it's not worn every day. (I'm a landscape gardener, so I can't go to work in a suit!) If you are going to wear a chain on a daily basis, I suppose a solid chain is a better option, as any wear won't be apparent. But as Chris said in his post, solid ones are mega money (I saw an 18ct DA that was priced at £3200 on the Bay). The good thing about gold filled/rolled gold items is that the plating is very thick...so thick that they can be engraved without going through to the base metal. They have that warm gold look identical to solid items....not that very bright effect you get with modern electro plating, which at best is only a few microns thick and rubs off very quickly. Look on the bay of E, they quite often come up....Mine was less than 50 quid! Just make sure the gold has not worn too much, if at all. A quick rub with a gold polishing cloth and you're good to go!

(Oh...and don't tell anyone...:whistle:....What was that?....Oh darn it!)

Again, thanks for the pics Roger.

Vesta cases do like nice on a watch chain and they are surprisingly good value in todays market. I used to have a collection of them and by pure accident I moved them on when they were on a high (10-12 yrs ago). Since then prices have rapidly declined and it really is a good time to start collecting again :rolleyes:

Yes, I do think you need another watch and chain :wink2:

Glad they are of interest Chris. This whole post has exceeded my wildest expectations and its great to get some really positive feedback :thumbsup: I will have to start looking for a silver collection, but not just yet...Mrs. Rog says I have to slow down for a while! :sadwalk: I just hope that seeing all these goodies on display hasn't made you get the urge to start another collection. :whistle: ...those fabulous watches and sov. cases must take some looking after! Rog.

Shangas...just had a look at the UK eBay and there's a couple of rolled gold DAs on there at the moment. One runs out tomorrow (7.6.10) the other's on for 6 days. I haven't put links in cos I don't think I'm allowed to.(is eBay a commercial site?...maybe somebody can clarify this for me), but look under 'Rolled gold Albert chain'. Hope this may be of use to you........... :derisive:

I know a lady at the local flea-market who sells rings, chains and watches (I bought two pocket watches from her already!) and she said she had some nice pocket-watch chains. I'll probably go and visit her this weekend at the flea-market and see if she has anything nice within my price-range.

I know a lady at the local flea-market who sells rings, chains and watches (I bought two pocket watches from her already!) and she said she had some nice pocket-watch chains. I'll probably go and visit her this weekend at the flea-market and see if she has anything nice within my price-range.

No worries, mate......hope she has something nice for you! Good luck! :victory: