• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Thanks. Hopefully she's got a DA chain at a decent price. I want to be able to wear my vest-pocket pen as it was meant to be!

I find it interesting that there seems to be an increasing interest in waistcoats lately. Not necessarily suits, just waistcoats. More shops seem to be selling them. I've wanted one for years. I had one as a child but I outgrew it. Now that they're becoming popular again, it was easier to go out and buy one and wear my watch as it's meant to be worn.

...I wonder if it'll set another trend of people wearing pocket-watches again. All the feedback I'v received from wearing my pocket watch when I'm outside has been amazingly positive.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get a rolled or filled chain at a reasonable price, then I would get one fairly soon as I've noticed that they are getting very expensive for what they are.

One went for over £50 yesterday on Evil Bay :shocking:

As for waistcoats, I don't know if you have places which hire out formal wear for weddings and proms (Moss Bros over here) but such places regularly sell off surplus stock and you can get some real bargains.

Chris :)

I've an old Smiths on a silver (coloured) modern-ish chain - and when I wear one of my fancy waistcoats for dancing, I will often give it a wind and pop it across the waistcoat pockets. Mind you, I usually still have a watch on my wrist, I think I'm too used to wearing a watch on the wrist to "go commando" and rely on the pocket watch :eek:

Maybe I should persevere - of course being (slightly :rofl2: ) overweight, I usually end up taking the waistcoat off 'cos I'm too hot, so I'd still need a wristwatch? :to_become_senile:

Decisions, decisions :toot:

I've got a couple of masonic balls as well (that just doesn't sound right )

I often wondered if any were ever made in silver, I've never come across one

There's one on the bay of E now Chris, modern, not vintage. If you fancy a look (though there's not much to see), search under Masonic balls. :thumbsup:

Well, it's the first one I've seen but at a tad under 7gms there ain't much weight to it, could be hollow.

Now there is a cube on there that looks a bit tasty

I keep saying I won't start collecting again but I'm easily lead :angel_not:

Well, it's the first one I've seen but at a tad under 7gms there ain't much weight to it, could be hollow.

Now there is a cube on there that looks a bit tasty

I keep saying I won't start collecting again but I'm easily lead :angel_not:

Unusually, for a modern 'ball', that cube (or ashlar as it's known) has got individual clips rather than the more common cage to hold it shut. It's also very bright!! B) However, in keeping with 99% of modern balls, you can see that the symbols are stamped on rather than the more time consuming and skillful hand engraving found on vintage examples. (There's one in that collection of fobs I showed you, top row, 6th right.) There're also a couple of pyramid shaped ones in there as well....those five sided ones that open into a star are very rare and fetch upwards of £500!...not because of the gold value, but the rarity factor. One on the Bay went for over £650 a couple of months ago!

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Great post. I wear mine with a simple chain attached to a belt loop, then put the watch in my pants pocket in one of those blue velvet pouches with a draw string. It protects it from scratches in my pocket.

Hey Ted.

Do you wear trousers or jeans with a watch-pocket? If you do, you might want to just put your pocket-watch in there and keep it neatly out of the way.

tellason-selvage-5-pocket-jeans-3.jpg

The watch-pocket is the fifth pocket...that little one on the left there.

Still waiting for my new suit and more importantly, waistcoat, to come back from the tailor so I can get some pix up of the full effect with the DA! I reckon the bloke's gone to the States to pick the cotton himself or snuck off on holiday! :beach: Hopefully it won't be too long now. Now where did I put that wide angle lens................

I've always been a fan of waistcoats. Not because I can wear my pocket-watch, but because I like how they look and feel. Dressing it up with a watch and chain is just a happy bonus.

By the way, I went to the Titanic Artefact Exhibit at the Melbourne Museum last week. One of the artefacts on display was a very nice navy-blue, six-button, four-pocket waistcoat. I was admiring it when I noticed something...

Six buttons.

Seven buttonholes!

Whoever owned it had it altered to fit in a buttonhole for his watch-chain!

See..I told you..(way back on the first page). :grin: It was common in those days to have a purpose made 'watch hole' put in the waistcoat. This hole is vertical so it keeps the chain centered between the buttons and stops it sliding from side to side. Any good tailor should be able to put one in a modern waistcoat if asked.

I just carry mine in the Watch-pocket of my jeans, with a belt-chain on the waistband (I don't wear a belt) and the Key tied to the Pendant with a now-frayed piece of string.

I can only carry my smallest watches, as the Watch-pocket in my present jeans is very small - presumably designed to take a mobile telephone. In my old jeans, I could carry my 1827 Pair Case Verge Fusée with its high-domed Bull's-eye glass.

I have to be a bit careful when carrying my Chronograph, as bending double or leaning forward while sitting can start it.

Seeing as it was me that started this topic, I s'pose I better put up some pics of how I wear mine! Sorry it's taken so long, but as you've probably read, the new suit's been away for alterations. Anyway, it's back now so here goes!......(no sniggering at the back, there!) :rofl2:

Square and compass fob.

watchpix002-2.jpg

Ball fob.

watchpix004-2.jpg

Suited and booted! :blush:

watchpix001-2.jpg

Hope we get some more pics of other members with their watches/chains...there's only me 'n Shangas at the moment (or is that enough!!! :whistle: ).....it's so nice to put names to faces, don't you think? :bag:

VERY handsome, Roger! A proper gentleman with his suit, watch and chain.

I like the masonic watch-fob :)

My cousin took this photo of me last week. I'm sitting on a bench inside a restored ca. 1900 railroad carriage on the local historic steam railroad (Cuz, family & I went there last week for a ride on the old smoke-belcher).

carriage.jpg

The little blue thing I have looped onto my watch-chain is my university graduation-ring. I was just hanging it there temporarily so that it didn't slide off my finger by mistake and get lost during the train-ride. I thought of wearing it as a watch-fob, but it's too big to slip onto the swivel-clip comfortably.

Edited by Shangas

Looking cool, Shangas....but then I s'pose it is winter over there....ha ha. It's 81 degrees F here in sunny Reading today....hottest day OTY so far.... :beach: That's your winter temp isn't it! :rofl: Just a quick idea about your Graduation ring....if you had a suitable sized jump ring fitted, you could clip it on your chain, or still wear it on your finger as the mood takes you..... and finally, from a previous post...

I have considered, several times, buying a vesta-case/pocket match-safe. But not to store matches...but double-edged razor-blades.

Mate......we need to have a serious talk! Lol! :assassin:

• 1 month later...

*sob*

I BROKE MY WATCH CHAIN!!! :crybaby:

This horrific incident happened on Wednesday when it caught on something unexpectedly and was ripped apart near the T-bar. Solid brass!

Fortunately, I managed to collect all the pieces, and the watch (1918 Elgin, 15J 16S) was undamaged.

I took this opportunity, with the help of a pair of pliers, to do a bit of altering and turned my (probably too-long) single albert into a Double Albert, by moving the T-bar to the middle of the chain and one of the swivel-clips (that snapped off) to the end (where the T-bar used to be). The entire chain is a foot long, so that's enough slack for it to be practical and I finally have a double albert.

I keep my watch on the right chain and my keys on the left chain :)

Edited by Shangas

*crawls out of the woodwork*

tweedy.png

Sadly, I don't dress in tweed daily (as much as i'd like to :schmoll:). I need to finish alterations, including adding a buttonhole to the waistcoat/vest... Which have been on an 'I'll do it tomorrow!' basis for the last 8 months..

I've recently procured a couple of fobs (but still no vintage chain :(), which I'll post tomorrow when the lighting's better :)

- Jeorge

Edited by Jeorge
  • 2 months later...

Back near the beginning of this thread, when I was discussing the various objects to hang on the other end of my Double Albert, I remember saying that I thought the traditional item (a sovereign case) was a bit bulky for my liking. However that changed when I saw this one come up for sale...

Watchpics022.jpg

Watchpics023.jpg

It's an Edwardian Aaron Lufkin Dennison (ALD) 9ct gold filled 'sun' case, guaranteed to wear for 20 years. The thing I like about it is the hand engraving that covers the front and back (apart from the cartouche on the front, which is blank), and makes it stand out from the usual plain ones. The mechanism works perfectly, and the coin holder still has a strong spring.

Watchpics024.jpg

I think it completes my set beautifully...hope you agree. All I need now is a sovereign or two to put in it!

Watchpics021.jpg

What a stunning set that is now Rodger and I really do believe that a display like that shows a pocket watch at its best.

The sovereign holder looks in good condition as well.(I have one virtually identical to that, although the cartouche is engraved)

I would suggest you try and get a couple of more turns on the little screw in the bow as they have a habit of working loose, particularly if you wear them regularly.

BTW it has raised an old 'discussion' with the 710 (or SWMBO), sometime ago she 'persuaded' me to put a Masonic ball that I had on to her charm bracelet

RWhite011.jpg

After seeing your set Rodger, I'm trying to get back and put it on this one

test2008.jpg

Wish me luck :rolleyes:

What a stunning set that is now Rodger and I really do believe that a display like that shows a pocket watch at its best.

The sovereign holder looks in good condition as well.(I have one virtually identical to that, although the cartouche is engraved)

I would suggest you try and get a couple of more turns on the little screw in the bow as they have a habit of working loose, particularly if you wear them regularly.

BTW it has raised an old 'discussion' with the 710 (or SWMBO), sometime ago she 'persuaded' me to put a Masonic ball that I had on to her charm bracelet

RWhite011.jpg

After seeing your set Rodger, I'm trying to get back and put it on this one

test2008.jpg

Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Thanks for that Chris...there is just a little pocket wear on the back of the case, but nothing I can't live with....it is the best part of 100 years old and someone obviously loved it enough to wear it regularly. I did think about having it re-plated....but you know...I like it just the way it is...proudly showing its age and history. When I (gently) cleaned it, I actually took the screw out and cleaned all the crud out of the hole and threads before re-assembling.

Love the look of your set, especially with your initials on the sovereign case....hope you succeed in parting the ball from SWMBO's (she who must be obeyed?)charm (sovereign?) bracelet because it will finish the set off a treat. Good luck! :black eye:

Here is a very interesting watch chain:

uhrenketten_diebstahlsicherung_1.jpg

Perhaps you've notived the hole in that acorn... altogether there are three holes in there. The secret of this acorn is an anti-theft-gadget! If you pull the chain, pins appear out of these holes! And these pins will get caught in the vest or the pocket and you cannot pull out the watch. You have to pull the watch out of the pocket by the acorn!

These are those pins:

uhrenketten_diebstahlsicherung_2.jpg

Andreas

Here is a very interesting watch chain:

uhrenketten_diebstahlsicherung_1.jpg

Perhaps you've notived the hole in that acorn... altogether there are three holes in there. The secret of this acorn is an anti-theft-gadget! If you pull the chain, pins appear out of these holes! And these pins will get caught in the vest or the pocket and you cannot pull out the watch. You have to pull the watch out of the pocket by the acorn!

These are those pins:

uhrenketten_diebstahlsicherung_2.jpg

Andreas

Wow! What a useful little anti-theft device....never seen one of those before, Andreas...it must be fairly unique. I bet that's caught a few pickpockets!