• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must most definitely post a pic of the finished effect..... :photo:

I think i'll be going to the gym then Rog.(loose a few pounds) :lol:

You should wear your suits more frequently, man. Lying in a coffin is a special occasion.

:lol: :lol:

Very true Shangas,perhaps i will wear them more often! :D

In reality the last time i wore a suit was only a couple of weeks ago,with a new waistcoat and watch,to see how smart i looked in the mirror! :yu:

If any article of clothing is more unforgiving of weight-gain than any other...It is the waistcoat. I have a nice, cobalt-blue waistcoat, which I think some of you have seen.

The moment I put on more than two kilos over my ideal weight, that waistcoat turns into a corset. Your waistcoats do not lie about your figure!

If any article of clothing is more unforgiving of weight-gain than any other...It is the waistcoat. I have a nice, cobalt-blue waistcoat, which I think some of you have seen.

The moment I put on more than two kilos over my ideal weight, that waistcoat turns into a corset. Your waistcoats do not lie about your figure!

I know what you mean,only two of the four waistcoats i own fit me perfectly,the other two are slightly tight when i sit down,even with the bottom button undone,but i have gone from 16 stone two pounds,to 14 stone 9 pounds in about six months,so it shouldn't be to long before i'm wearing them comfortably. :)

Have you noticed, if you leave your waistcoats or suits in the wardrobe for long enough, they shrink?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one, Alan...I think mine fit 'The Borrowers' now!

That was a good one! :lol:

Thats going to be my excuse to now!

Its actually a well known fact. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

I bought ANOTHER waistcoat. This one is kinda terra-cotta tan-brown. A bit of a story behind this one.

In London in January, I got a chance to buy a tan waistcoat. But I couldn't find one that fit, being a short, tiny Asian guy. Then yesterday, I went to the local thrift-shop and found a tan waistcoat which looked pretty cool. Only it was HEEEWWWGGG!! Far too big for my tiny frame. So I passed.

Today, the Fates of Fashion hath smiled upon me. I went to the same shop and found TWO IDENTICAL waistcoats. Twins. Gemini. Same size, colour, manufacturer. A pair. And they were perfect for me. I took my time and picked the better one and left the not-so-good one for the shop. In reality they were both in perfectly excellent condition, I don't think they'd EVER been worn (or if they were, then worn only ONCE). The not-so-good one had a label that was rather faded and worn. The one I bought looked brand new. Absolutely NO imperfections at all.

The lofty price I paid for this?

$7.00

Here is what I bought:

IMG_0324.jpg

Trousers are medium brown. Tie is yellow & white striped. Shirt is a kind of coffee-stained worn-in light, light, light brown; the result of years of use.

Edited by Shangas
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Roger.

Also, taking inspiration from Roger's photographs showing the alterations done to his Double Albert, I did a similar thing with one of my chains.

I took the swivel-clip from an effectively useless pocketwatch chain and attached it to the chain you see in that photo, removing first, the sealing-fob that you see there.

Now I can alternate my fobs!

In honour of the queen's visit to Australia, the current fob is an Australian 50c piece commemorating her Silver Jubilee (25 years on the throne; 1977).

• 2 weeks later...

From post # 26 of the Seiko 7A54 Quartz Pocket Watch (Anybody ?) thread

I did think, albeit breifly, about getting a waistcoat for it. :think: But it's really not me. :no:

Realistically, I think if I'm ever going to 'wear it', as such, it'll probably be with jeans. :shocking:

7A54-7009-P1070344.jpg

With that trouser belt clip (as opposed to any other method of fixing on the end of the chain),

it's possibly how Seiko intended - even though they marketed it as the 'posher' Lassale brand.

The good news is that it fits quite comfortably into a Levi's 501 condom / pocket watch / ticket pocket:

7A54-7009-P1070342.jpg

7A54-7009-P1070343.jpg

Unfortunately I don't fit comfortably into that particular pair of 501's any more. :blush:

Nowadays I tend to wear Wrangler 'comfort fit' - which also have a rather bigger watch pocket ! :partytime:

Nice to see you here, Paul...you could always try wearing it the American way, with a leather strap (fob) that clips to the bow on the watch and helps pull it out from your watch pocket. See here , or with a short chain that clips to your belt loop as here...(Edit:) and indeed as your post

(I almost thought this was going to turn into a bluey!) Hope this helps a bit! Rog.

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Seiko, that chain isn't hooked on properly.

You thread the chain down the back of the belt, between the belt and your jeans.

Then you hook the clip onto your belt upside-down with the front of the clip showing.

That way, when you pull out your watch, you don't yank the clip off at the same time.

EDIT

I should point out that the chain in the VIDEO isn't hooked up properly, either. She's got it the wrong way around.

The ring-clip goes around the belt-loop.

The Teardrop clip goes around the watch-bow.

Do you REALLY want a bolt-ring clip, that slides open with a simple flip of your finger...to be holding onto your precious watch? All it takes is one slip and the watch falls out of the clip and smashes on the floor.

Edited by Shangas

.... or with a short chain that clips to your belt loop as here...(Edit:) and indeed as your post

(I almost thought this was going to turn into a bluey!) Hope this helps a bit! Rog.

Thanks, Roger - I had already seen that YouTube video. :thumbsup:

Indeed it was the fact that her husband's vintage pocket watch wouldn't fit ....

that prompted me to try the 7A54 in the condom / ticket pocket of my old 501's. :wink2:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

Seiko, that chain isn't hooked on properly .... ad nauseum

Shangas, with respect .... You seriously need to 'get a life', Sir. :hi:

My apologies. I should have more correctly suggested that you take time to read prior posts properly:

Realistically, I think IF I'm ever going to 'wear it', as such, it'll probably be with jeans. :shocking:

But perhaps you could advise the readership on the correct apparel / method of attachment for one of these:

Seiko4N20-0460-QuartzPocketWatch-eBay-Nov2011-3.jpg

See: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120806687200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_6342wt_934

Seiko4N20-0460-QuartzPocketWatch-eBay-Nov2011-Japan.jpg

I will admit that I placed a couple of half-hearted bids on it at the weekend, but decided to let it go. :thumbsdown:

I was going to buy it as a present for my girlfriend :skirt: but she wasn't very keen.

Her comment was: 'I suppose you'll be expecting me to wear matching red tassels'. :rofl2:

(I almost thought this was going to turn into a bluey!)

Unlucky ! :whistle:

Edited by SEIKO7A38
  • 6 months later...

Went out for a party tonight dressed as you see below...

IMG_0268.jpg

I got three comments from different people...

1. "I came here tonight hoping to be the only person here wearing a tie...but I see I've been beaten..."

2. "Nice hat!"

3. "You look like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland!"

First one was because of my grey and red tie.

Second one was because of the grey, beaver-fur trilby hat.

The third one had me stumped...until the girl who said it pointed to my watch-chain!

Sorry, but I just can't believe no one commented on your lack of shoes........

Looking very smart my friend...should have worn shoed though :-)

I've been playing about again. :rolleyes:

I've changed my old Sterling silver broken necklace into a double Albert,and attached the sovereign,

a couple of the small attachment rings i put on there for now are steel,but i hope to replace them with silver soldered ones at a jewelers i used to work for.

I took it off this single Albert after this pick.

SL372440.jpg

Here's the end result.

SL372451.jpg

smile.gif

Looks great.Handstitched waistcoat too.

• 4 weeks later...