• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
sharrison01

Watch Battery Brands?

Just looking to replace the batteries in some old watches and wondered if there was a difference in the various battery brands?

I have heard of the batteries that some brands use can last for years and wondered if this was due to the battery used or the watch that it was put in.

Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated...

I find that Renata batteries are very good and will last a lot longer than your quid shop varieties. :D

Personally I recommend Maxell (as Seiko themselves do, for use in their 7Axx quartz chronos).

I've got one that has nearly made 5 years (or at least it will if it lasts till October). :)

Normal battery life expectancy in a Seiko 7A38 is only two years (allegedly).

Renata for me as well...and I get through a lot of batteries :wink:

Maxell are good and so are Energizer but just be aware that certain batteries are not exactly the same size or shape between the major manufacturers. Batteries like the 301 can be significantly different.

Stay away from alkaline batteries; only go for silver oxide.

and so are Energizer but just be aware that certain batteries are not exactly the same size or shape between the major manufacturers.

Energizer aren't too hot on their dimensions, in my limited experience. :thumbsdown:

Quite a few 7A38's I've bought from the USA have come fitted with their 394/380 'generic sized' batteries.

These are larger than a Maxell SR936SW/394 or Renata #394 - deeper and as much as 0.1mm larger in diameter.

Can be a b*gger to get out of the battery recess. Often the easist way is to remove the battery +ve terminal plate. :angry:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

I find that Renata batteries are very good and will last a lot longer than your quid shop varieties. :D

Personally I recommend Maxell (as Seiko themselves do, for use in their 7Axx quartz chronos).

I've got one that has nearly made 5 years (or at least it will if it lasts till October). :)

Normal battery life expectancy in a Seiko 7A38 is only two years (allegedly).

Speaking of which ... I have used a local jeweler who offers "lifetime batteries" for US$20, but lately (now that I have tools) I think I'm capable of changing my own in 7A48 and H558. Much involved besides the back and the little screw holding the batteries in?

.... but lately (now that I have tools) I think I'm capable of changing my own in 7A48 and H558.

Much involved besides the back and the little screw holding the batteries in?

Sorry, don't know about the H558's but you shouldn't need to undo any screws to replace the battery in your 7A48.

They're sort of a pinch/push fit - held in the battery recess mostly by the two ears of the +ve terminal plate.

Problem sometimes arises with those Energizer 394/380 'generic' and over-sized batteries ....

They compress the +ve terminal plate's ears back tight against the side of the battery recess.

Rather than risk bending the +ve terminal plate, I'll loosen (and sometimes remove) both retaining screws.

With most other 'normal-sized' #394 cells, they simply pop out after a quick prod with peg-wood.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Guest Om_nom_nom_Watches!

Speaking of which ... I have used a local jeweler who offers "lifetime batteries" for US$20

are you sure he doesn't go around at the weekends with a sandwich board saying the end of the world is nigh?

Maxell are good and so are Energizer but just be aware that certain batteries are not exactly the same size or shape between the major manufacturers. Batteries like the 301 can be significantly different.

It is hard to find other brands in the states other than Everready Energizers...but because of the Bay, you can get any brand mailed to you within a day.