• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What's Hanging? (On Your Wall)

Real Banksy stuff doesnt always have to be mental money really... there were a lot of good things back in the day that werent huge money and occasionally come up at very reasonable prices now, eg. Polite Tape, larger format stickers, the Extra Value soup tin poster and some of the press packs for the free mags etc.

Mr Mcarthy is great value as you say, really well conceived etc. Love that Prefab tho... wow!

Blimey Matt's work is now 300 is it? eeek... what print did you have in your hand, 'Paint Bomber' or '5th Man'? I would think I could do you a sensible deal on either if you wanted ;) :D

like i said i have alot of banksy stuff posters stickers etc but id love to get that email off pow just once and get a print at cost .

i do like the american artists stuff its so bloody good for the money ,daniel danger ,mark brabant, mccarthy,josh keyes,shepard fairey,justin hampton, there is so much choice and all do good credible work for under $50 its amazing really.

spqr stuff peaked a while back but like everything else it has seen a bit of a slump.it was paint bombers jon at steal from work in bristol there were at least 10 prints at a tenner each ive seen them go for £375 each i just didnt like it at the time and as a rule i only buy stuff i like .i do love 5th man though that is a classic.

LOL, yeah prints at cost... sadly a rare thing these days :(

I did notice there is a soup tin poster on ebay now for 185quid. now thats not that bad in the modern world for a discontinued print. round 800 also now buys you a Monkey Queen unsigned, thats ok too really...

Jas, Let me know if you want my 5th man canvas AP... Im sure we could work out something :)

• 4 months later...

Supercool Jakek! very nice collection mate. :)

I second that. Love the snowboards/decks and the commissioned piece is excellent, do you have a bigger pic?

I must do some pics of my stuff. I too have a bit of Rene Gagnon and am a big fan of Cauty so have a few prints of his.This is the only pic I have at the mo. I still have the large print but gave this smaller one away as a Birthday pressie.

sany0088aq4.jpg

Andy

So if you guys had some "real money" what original classic would you like hanging on your wall.

I'm not in the least bit religious but I would like this, it's a striking picture when you actually stand in front of it and obviously a nice shack down the Costa's to display it :D

My rubbish piccy from my recent visit

16052010406.jpg

A proper piccy

christ_of_saint_john_of_the_cross.jpg

It's still in Glasgow art gallery after being restored a few years ago. Purchased for a few thousand and reputed to have been offered £80 million by the Spanish to have it back :o so I'd need more than a win on the Euro lottery to get it though :lol:

I'm with you on this one Bond. Not religious at all, but Dali was the real deal and no mistaking. As far as buying art without a budget is concerned, I'm a very big fan of your choice, along with this one...

553685_Hallucinogenic-Toreador-The.jpg

The Hallucinogenic Toreador - another from his atomic structure series. Cracking.

But I have to be a bit careful as our house is a mixture of my work and my wife's father's. And the latter is a relatively famous and successful artist. In fact I like to refer to some of his work as 'my pension'!

Supercool Jakek! very nice collection mate. :)

I second that. Love the snowboards/decks and the commissioned piece is excellent, do you have a bigger pic?

Thanks guys - i think i'll try and leave the art collection how it is now as the walls are all full, and i thought it was about time to get a decent watch, so this is the start of the journey.

The commission is by Cyclops (Luc Price)

4095745243_6366052a53.jpg

commission by cyclops (lucas price) by jeyku, on Flickr

i ought to take a few more detailed shots of some of the pieces as the skill and interest is in the details.

• 10 years later...

I recently bought my first ever painting "Under The Arch" by Teesside Artist David Watson https://www.thenorthernartist.co.uk and inspired by memories of going to work at Smiths Dock

David has been painting for decades on whatever material he could find, a few years ago he was "found" by freelance curator Mark Parham and his work has been shown in several exhibitions

19 Under The arch.jpg

• Like 4

^^^ I think I like that; it's awfully grim, but I think I like it :)

Not sure if I've posted this before but, at the other end of the scale and to lighten the mood, is this saucy artwork from a 1928 French restaurant menu I've been meaning to have mounted and framed for some time.  So, not hanging on the wall quite yet, but should be soon.

Du%20Champagne%20et%20du%20femmes.jpg 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 16:40, rhaythorne said:

^^^ I think I like that; it's awfully grim, but I think I like it :)

It is grim up north! Or at least it was in the era he was painting, I can remember scenes like that myself

We have a lot of paintings and not one on the walls ... I should do something about that

On 21/04/2021 at 15:36, JoT said:

I recently bought my first ever painting "Under The Arch" by Teesside Artist David Watson https://www.thenorthernartist.co.uk

Inspired by memories of going to work at Smiths Dock

David has been painting for decades on whatever material he could find, a few years ago he was "found" by freelance curator Mark Parham and his work has been shown in several exhibitions

19 Under The arch.jpg

And old mate of mine from years ago  worked in Smiths Dock from when he left school. 

Down in the bowels of various ships with an oxy acetylene cutting torch for 10 and 12 hours a day. Dead at 43, he literally rotted away from the inside out. 

Makes you wonder how many other blokes lives ended prematurely working in similar conditions. 

I remember back in the day when I first moved here I worked in the old ITM Head Writeson yard at Thornaby and when we used to come back after a weekend back up in Scotland we'd get to Billingham and Stockton on the A19 and my ex missus used to burst into tears. 

No wonder you were called Smoggies

• 2 weeks later...

Have lots of prints.. Matisse, Hockney, Van Gogh, Lichtenstein, Caulfield, Leger, Munch... I love them all. 

If I could have anything, I'd be tempted by this: https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/lichtenstein-water-lilies-with-japanese-bridge-al00373

For some reason Wolverhampton art gallery had an exhibition of Roy Lichtenstein, who had long been a favourite but I'd never been able to see in the flesh. I went with my then girlfriend and now wife, and had to steal a moment to myself to have a tiny cry of happiness when I saw the one linked above. Absolutely absurd, I know. 

Van Gogh would be pretty high on the list also, I spent 45min in Prague looking at one of his paintings, I couldn't and still can't believe how good it was. 

• 5 weeks later...

I used to have btwo old Commando knives on the wall, One was marked J Rodgers, The other was Wilkinson Sword, Both were in a state but when I took them down to decorate they disappeared! Never seen them since, I had a feeling the wife gave them to my son to sell at the saturday bootsale (He used to do this when he had no ale money for the weekend!), They both flatly deny this so I suppose they could have ended up in the lot in one of the boxes of brass ornaments that went up there around the same time!! 

For anyone that knows Sheffield, This is a drawing of the Abbeydale industrial hamlet, It's a museum now but was producing steel back to the 13th century and possibly longer..

It was drawn by Yvonne Winkelman in 1973, It was going on the wall but the frame fell apart and the glass came out!!, I should put it back together some time!!

N6xymI5.jpg

John :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 22/04/2021 at 21:19, JoT said:

We have a lot of paintings and not one on the walls ... I should do something about that

Yes you should, we have over twenty, they are everywhere except on the wall  :nono: including my paintings

• 3 weeks later...

Originals, nodding to my Naval career, one more to get

20210627_221858.jpg

One of three we have from a local artist, Simon Williams

20210627_221834.jpg

One of another three, from another locsl artist, Vicky Morrison.

20210627_221756.jpg

A watercolour by Monica Barrie

20210627_221826.jpg

A signed, numbered print by the notorious Rolf Harris.

20210627_221738.jpg

And my very favourite, by Scottish artist, Daniel Campbell, AFAIK it is the only one of his large paintings that was never copied and printed, there is a similare one that was limited printed 100 times.

We were lucky with this, we paid less for this original than the prints sell for

20210627_221704.jpg

• Like 2

The wife picked a load of Bowie and Beatles prints up some years ago at the bootsale for next to nothing, Been going to get them framed and on the wall but they got put away and forgotten about!!

The Bowie pics..

40QwtZ1.jpg PAFa5sC.jpg kgFelUF.jpg

Km1nXie.jpg t5TZurU.jpg LSS6piv.jpg

7fnwITB.jpg UZJKN3p.jpg AJxy7XD.jpg

ekR6vRA.jpg YKpHCYb.jpg sjivnLQ.jpg

I was told who actually took the original pics but have forgotten!!

The Beatles prints..

4N4DcJI.jpg eIB7wL4.jpg 5J4rIIC.jpg

9pVGNYF.jpg m6ZLB5Y.jpg seWLo7G.jpg

0GqC5hC.jpg 6bAAuwn.jpg E7zvCtz.jpg

mMf0Etm.jpg

Years ago I bought a box full of Horology mags from the bootsale, Among them was a folder with some slightly surreal prints in, I love this type of art!

Gustav Adolf Mosser, The first pic is him on the front of the folder  :thumbsup:

uAFp6GB.jpg U1zFcX7.jpg CWpJium.jpg

1JKRruN.jpg Y0Dkdpu.jpg kDr1CfN.jpg

8jqpO8x.jpg i1Sizos.jpg ULyMzA2.jpg

jSUX4J2.jpg 0kwHZWq.jpg fR4ayfn.jpg

tKB38d6.jpg cKLDxHZ.jpg evCx3oI.jpg

zae5mBF.jpg

• Like 1