• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Gold Plating Of Old Watch Cases And Straps Etc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, how long does it last? I've seen a number of "replated" watches with flaking?

Mike

my gold plating will last for many years i as i give what ever im plating several coats of gold followed by a polish as long as no chemical cleaner is used on what evers been plated then you should have years of use out of them i normally tell people to use hot water and washing up liquid with a smooth sponge to clean the items as for prices it depends on what im plating and how difficult it is to plate an example would be a complete strap (outer side ) would cost about £35.00 inc postage for that the old gold gets stripped and polished if you want then a stainless steel activater gets apllied and then several layers of 24kt gold and then a polish i nearly always tend when plating old straps to leave the scratch marks under the gold as this gives the watch more character and makes it also look original and not a replacement strap

Is this proper gold electroplating, or the chemical/low voltage system that's used for "plating" iPods and mobile phones?

I can tank plate or electro plate the problem with tank plating is the whole object gets plated

as with electro plating it' mire close up and I have better control of where the golds is plated

this is still nor precise as for instance plating a two tone gold strap is very difficult as the gold tends

to flow where it wants so it's a lit easier plating things that are all gold rather than two tine unless these bits

are stripped seperate then I can plate them easily I can also plate iPods and iPhones with the same process it always

involves chemicals either way

OK - so, you can do brass cases the "old-fashioned" way in a tank? What thickness can you plate to?

yes i can tank plate a pocket watch thickness really depends on how long its left in the solution the longer left the better the thickness but also the longer its left the more money its going to cost depends what you want to do with the pocket watch i suppose if its going to be left in a draw for years and years and not handled or used then it can have a 10 minute dip if it going to be used every day constant use obviously it would beneift longer its really upto you how much you want to spend pm me for more details

Guest littlealex

It seems that something you need to look into besspeg,is being able to guage the thickness of the plate you are applying.As you may know,the plate thickness in Microns is quoted on some watch cases.So for the sake of repeatable results and to accurately replicate the original,it seems that a method of measuring the thickness would be useful.

Perhaps you could work this out accurately enough from the time the item spends in the tank ?.

I'd still like to know if there's anyone in the UK who will reliably apply Nickel though.

Edited by littlealex

It seems that something you need to look into besspeg,is being able to guage the thickness of the plate you are applying.As you may know,the plate thickness in Microns is quoted on some watch cases.So for the sake of repeatable results and to accurately replicate the original,it seems that a method of measuring the thickness would be useful.

Perhaps you could work this out accurately enough from the time the item spends in the tank ?.

I'd still like to know if there's anyone in the UK who will reliably apply Nickel though.

i do nickel plate before if the item is really bad if its not then it gets activated then gold plated it really depends what gold you use for plating to gauge the microns i would say i 20 minute dip would be equivelent to 10 micons thick.

i do nickel plate before if the item is really bad if its not then it gets activated then gold plated it really depends what gold you use for plating to gauge the microns i would say i 20 minute dip would be equivelent to 10 micons thick.

AFAIK, typical gold plating on watches is around 5 microns. Cartier make a big thing about the plating on some of their watches being 20 microns.

AFAIK, typical gold plating on watches is around 5 microns. Cartier make a big thing about the plating on some of their watches being 20 microns.

Some of the slim 23 jewel Luch gold plated that I have had have been 20 microns, well done USSR :notworthy: , though most have been 5 or 10 micron plate.

Thanks for confirming that.

OP:

If you can get your plating certified at 10-20 microns, you should be able to do some good business here. I guess I can't be alone in being wary of some of the gold plating that's done these days. Often it's less than 1 micron, and will wear off very quickly.

Bright nickel plating was used on a lot of early wristwatches, before chrome took over. If you can do this, it'd be useful to collectors of pre-war watches.

Guest littlealex

So am i right in thinking that you sometimes use Nickel as a filler if need be ? [i know that Copper is used for this when Chrome plating].

In this case,How much would i be looking at to have an average sized Brass case Nickel plated.I could polish the case myself,But how much for just the plate ?.

Thanks for confirming that.

OP:

If you can get your plating certified at 10-20 microns, you should be able to do some good business here. I guess I can't be alone in being wary of some of the gold plating that's done these days. Often it's less than 1 micron, and will wear off very quickly.

Bright nickel plating was used on a lot of early wristwatches, before chrome took over. If you can do this, it'd be useful to collectors of pre-war watches.

i can nickel plate as i said but have not really had much call for it as for the gold plating if you want 10 microns thick i can do that very easily pm what you want done and i will give you a price and more details

Edited by besspeg

So am i right in thinking that you sometimes use Nickel as a filler if need be ? [i know that Copper is used for this when Chrome plating].

In this case,How much would i be looking at to have an average sized Brass case Nickel plated.I could polish the case myself,But how much for just the plate ?.

i would need to see some pictures first pm me and i will send you details

I've got quite a few vintage watches that would benefit from re-plating. Some are gold-filled, and I doubt that these can be re-plated - the base metal tends to corrode behind the gold, so you lose definition on the lug tips.

I'll look through them and find one with a decent brass case, then get back to you. Presumably you can do low-carat plating? I don't think that vintage American watches used 24 carat, but I could be wrong.

I've got quite a few vintage watches that would benefit from re-plating. Some are gold-filled, and I doubt that these can be re-plated - the base metal tends to corrode behind the gold, so you lose definition on the lug tips.

I'll look through them and find one with a decent brass case, then get back to you. Presumably you can do low-carat plating? I don't think that vintage American watches used 24 carat, but I could be wrong.

I can use other gold but find this is the best I can mix gold to get

different colours tint them down to 9 and 14 etc but this us the toughest

and best one to use

Some are gold-filled, and I doubt that these can be re-plated - the base metal tends to corrode behind the gold, so you lose definition on the lug tips.

Been away for a few days, so catching up on this topic. I've got a bunch of Hamilton gold-filled cases where the sharp points and edges have worn through. I'm also sure these cannot be plated over due the absence of the base metal (they are more like holes) but I have seen such cases repaired using gold soldering. Do you offer this service as well?