• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mart

Automatic Advice

Hello I'm new around here and would like to ask people's advice.

I was thinking of getting my first automatic. What would I like. Well not that expensive for a start, only a few hundred. Waterproof, bracelet preferred and a display back if possble. A friend pointed me in the direction of Mido , but they seem rare in the UK (willing to be proved wrong here) What else should I consider?

Hello I'm new around here and would like to ask people's advice.

I was thinking of getting my first automatic. What would I like. Well not that expensive for a start, only a few hundred. Waterproof, bracelet preferred and a display back if possble. A friend pointed me in the direction of Mido , but they seem rare in the UK (willing to be proved wrong here) What else should I consider?

:popcorn: Here we go again. I think we should start charging for this sales/consulting.

Sounds like you want a diver, unless by "waterproof" meaning you can wash dishes with it and not worry. One of our host's unique creations, or Steinhart, or Robert, or O&W. Christopher Ward (recently had a sale)? Orient. Sea-Gull. Any number or Seikos (Seiko 5 or full-on diver).

Help us out and tell what you've seen in our "wearing today" threads that strike your fancy.....

IMHO display backs are overrated (and 90% of those I've seen add bulk to a watch that serves no purpose). YMMV. I would put that on the "wants" column and satisfy the "needs" column first (waterproof, bracelet)

Not many divers have display backs.

Where as the Seiko 5s tend to nowadays.

All Seiko fans know the Mantra

1. Automatic 2. Waterproof 3. Shockproof 4.Day 5.Date

Well made watches in a style to suit everyone at a very reasonable price.

Good place to start.

I've just bought a Seiko SRP043K1 diver. Should be here today or tommorow. It hasn't got the display back but ticks all your other boxes. I will post a few pics when it arrives so you can have a look.

Orient Divers are also worth considering...

Orient CER1A002W0 cal.46D 21 Jewels

OrientBlueLDSC_0002.jpg

Orient CER1A001B0 cal.46D 21 Jewels

OrientCER1A001B0cal46D21Jewels.jpg

Orient CEM65006D`Mako` cal. 469 21 Jewels.

OrientMako176_7661.jpg

None of the above have display backs but these do...

Orient CEX4001DO (blue dial) & CEX4001DO (orange dial) cal. 46G41 21 Jewels

OrientBeasts132_3229.jpg

Unfortunately they are no longer in production so difficult to find, having said that if you don`t mind one in red...

redbeast-03.jpg

do a UK google search for Orient Watches check the first listing looking for `M`-Force.

Why Mido!?

They are part of the Swatch Group - yes, they look good but...... it must be an ETA like any other.

Without spending much - I agree with above - SEIKO and ORIENT - great choice.

I may even "dare" to mention the Glycine Combat Sub (there are some quality issues with Glycine recently) that you can pick up for less than £400 .

For "cheap" you may also consider the Vostok Expedition Trophy at $299 (nice looking)

or a Roamer Mercury - although they are made in China.

Silly me - Forgot all about it - Here it is - glass back too.

This is a St.Moritz watch - made in Canada with Swiss ETA automatic movement. It is 200m w/r and really well made. Very nice timepieces.

MM5.jpg

I tend to go for European than Oriental

With all due respect I suspect this is because of the general feeling that the swiss make the best watches. There was definately a time when this was true but nowadays your doing yourself a great disservice by ignoring the likes of Seiko/Orient.

I've just bought a Seiko SRP043K1 diver. Should be here today or tommorow. It hasn't got the display back but ticks all your other boxes. I will post a few pics when it arrives so you can have a look.

Picture as promised;

608818fd.jpg

regards,

Dave