UK Watch Forum banner

Old Timex?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Drum2000 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rescued this tatty old Timex from the car boot sale this morning. Just like most other old Timex watches I come across despite being stored in a box of junk old quartz watches it still works and has been holding good time for the last few hours :thumbup:

Anyway what's the story with this one, I've never seen/noticed one like it before it has their V-Conic movement but the case back is marked Germany. Can't see any mention of G.B or U.S. and it has no code at the very bottom of the dial. Any info would be appreciated as I'm quite curious about it.

Some very quick pics.

timex017.jpg

timex026.jpg

timex024.jpg

timex022.jpg

timex020.jpg

timex018.jpg

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a standard #22 movement, sweep seconds hand, pre late sixties. These did not carry the dial dating info on the watch. As a guess, the very latest would be normally 1967/8 for this piece. There would have been (originally) a stamped on ink code inside the caseback of one letter and number, the number indicated the year of manufacture. Most likely it was cleaned off, so it's not normally possible to date these watches accurately unless you can find them in a Timex Sales Catalogue.
:nono:

HOWEVER - because of the distinctive dial, I'm sure this is a "Darwin" from 1960 (or before), in need of TLC of course, and not too easy to find in any decent condition. If Bill D. reads this (Watchnutz) he may well confirm this for you. AFAIK, the "Darwin" finished in 1960, again Bill will have more info if it exists. :yes:

The "dust" cover spacer piece around the movement may well be hiding a signature on the movement itself that would help place it. Timex did also produce in France (Kelton as well as Timex) and Germany (Saga as well as Timex) :smartass:

Nice one Mike, if you decide you dont' want it - - -
:aggressive:

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Mel, very interesting. Yes it was the dial that stuck out, never seen this one before.

As I said it never ceases to amaze me how these old "disposable" Timex watches keep working despite what ever might have happened to them before they are chucked in a box of junk at a car boot sale. Still showing the right time since setting it at 9.00am :victory:

P.M me your address and I will pop it in the post for you
:wink:

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.