• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recent Holiday To Turkey

Haggis

Hi Guys, I have just returned from a holiday from Turkey, I could not believe the watch shops, every one has hundereds of copy watches. The basic ones are terrible, but I saw some for sale that would fool most dealers. The price of these was a few hundered pounds. They are supposed to be swiss movements. How do they get away with it? :jawdrop: :whistle:

I did not like Turkey.

So if you don't like Turkey, are you having a "Great Chieftain" for Christmas? :yes:

Bulgaria is a bit the same, - we could place an order hotel poolside in the morning for a movie or an audio CD, and it was delivered in the afternoon on a BMW bike by a STIG lookalike who never removed the helmet - and somehow he knew who to take the disc to ~ but he wasn't the guy you placed the order with :ph34r:

And the same with watches :eek: they you looked at from a briefcase, numbered 1,2, 3 and so on, you asked for a "takeaway" like the Chinese - I'll have a number three please.

Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Gucci, Versace and all sorts of other designer stuff on open sale in resort shops - "They make too many, these real thing, we buy the extra :lol: "

So if you don't like Turkey, are you having a "Great Chieftain" for Christmas? :yes:

Bulgaria is a bit the same, - we could place an order hotel poolside in the morning for a movie or an audio CD, and it was delivered in the afternoon on a BMW bike by a STIG lookalike who never removed the helmet - and somehow he knew who to take the disc to ~ but he wasn't the guy you placed the order with :ph34r:

And the same with watches :eek: they you looked at from a briefcase, numbered 1,2, 3 and so on, you asked for a "takeaway" like the Chinese - I'll have a number three please.

Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, Gucci, Versace and all sorts of other designer stuff on open sale in resort shops - "They make too many, these real thing, we buy the extra :lol: "

I was tempted to ask some of the ladies around the pool "Are they real" refering to the designer shoes.

Seriously judging from flee bay we have to be very careful.

just back from Spain, took friends of ours to Garrucha market last Thurs. she bought no-name-o ladies for 6 Euros looked ok & didn't turn her wrist green immediately. He bought a Planet Ocean chrono for 40 euros (no comment on my part) 'twas an auto obviously not a functioning chronograph - the sub-dial hands flicked round if you pressed one pusher! bezel was a very dubious shade of red, I think he started to regret it after a couple of days. Bracelet was halfway decent though and if they had done anything that wasn't a fake I would have been tempted. The guys selling were all moroccans and would not barter at all, they were licensed by the Spanish authorities as street traders :huh:

A little unfair to dislike Turkey because of the fakes. Probably 99% of these fakes are bought by tourists - Brits! If we ( and by we I'm not including us) didn't buy the fakes, they would have no trade. I really liked Turkey - good for cheap silver and leather.

Sorry I didn't like Turkey because I got an ear infection, then a reaction to the antibiotics.

The watches were fascinating, just the shop keepers were a bit full on. 5 Star hotel holiday ruined.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297968-d1751487-Reviews-Crystal_Sunrise_Queen_Luxury_Resort_SPA-Side_Turkish_Mediterranean_Coast.html#REVIEWS :thumbsdown:

Petaling street Market in KL Malaysia.

All sorts of fakes most impressive where the watches.

Loads of different qualities, from simple cheap quartz to full automatic with 'flyback' hands.

Is there a market for these fakes? of course there is !

I witnessed an Austrailian Tourist pay 4000 ringits for Rolex Daytona which at the time(april 2009) worked out to be around £800 !

The owners even let me take pics of the watches, unfortunatly these were stored on laptop which died and pictures went with it.

I am going to Turkey ,Marmaris in October so if i come across any I will be sure to get some pics and post them.

The Balkans are even worse. They had shops right outside the camp gates with fake CD'S, DVD's, software, clothes etc. They even had a shop inside one camp.

I don't think its any worse than Turkey, & yes it is Tourists that buy most of the Fakes, there are lots of counterfeit watches here but quite easy to spot up close, but the better fakes can catch alot of people out, its big business, you can but them from 5 euros upward, but most Tourists will pay a minimum of 25/50 easy money for the street vendors , most counterfeit watches are made in China. 

Loads of different qualities, from simple cheap quartz to full automatic with 'flyback' hands.

I witnessed an Austrailian Tourist pay 4000 ringits for Rolex Daytona which at the time(april 2009) worked out to be around £800 !

The owners even let me take pics of the watches, unfortunatly these were stored on laptop which died and pictures went with it.

I am going to Turkey ,Marmaris in October so if i come across any I will be sure to get some pics and post them.

lol what an idiot. Those fakes you can get on the internet are supposed to be neigh on identical and cost 3 or 4 hundred.

lol what an idiot. Those fakes you can get on the internet are supposed to be neigh on identical and cost 3 or 4 hundred.

He should have got one of these! Apologies for the link, not embed pic, just a quick one through my phone.

daytona.jpg

I get to Turkey as offten as possible either on holiday direct or from Greek islands and I always make a point of stocking up on t shirts and polo shirts albeit knowing they are copies. The reason ??? You can barter down the prices, last time I was there I was picking up copy Hilfiger polo shirts for around £8 and the quality is at least as good, if not better, than stuff you buy here from M&S and othe rhigh street stores for £12 upwards. That's the stupid thing , the quality of the cotton goods is pretty damn good. Who's to blame, UK retailers and designer outlets for ripping us off.

As for the watches, steer clear they are usually junk. My step kids wanted one each a few years ago so we bartered down copy Rolex's from about £80 each to £12 for two and they both lasted about three weeks but that's kinda what I expected.

The leather and silver stuff is usually pretty good and my wife usually picks up a trinket or two at jewellers over there, and, don't forget, you even barter in regular jewellers, never pay top dollar. Expect to get roughly 50% off anything or walk to next shop.

Enjoy

Edited by Bri

The Balkans are even worse. They had shops right outside the camp gates with fake CD'S, DVD's, software, clothes etc. They even had a shop inside one camp.

What sort of camp was this, did they have an escape committee :ph34r:!

Military camps, Kosovo/Stabilization Force, KFOR/SFOR. It was alleged an escape committee existed, but nothing was proved :D

You did your six months, (with two wekks R&R), and back to Blighty :D

What sort of camp was this, did they have an escape committee :ph34r:!

Military camps, Kosovo/Stabilization Force, KFOR/SFOR. It was alleged an escape committee existed, but nothing was proved :D

You did your six months, (with two wekks R&R), and back to Blighty :D

Guess they had a captive audience eh! Troops will buy stuff for the sake of it. Try telling a squaddie not too watch a DVD because it's fake when he's sat in the desert lol! Ha, bastians even got a burger king!