• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch Suggestions Please!

Evening folks,

Essentially I've not bought a watch for a while, and I've got that well-documented WIS itch that I feel like scratching!

The worry is, I've only got a modest budget of £100-150. I have a few options in mind, such as a Casio G-shock G-Lide, or a birth year (1991) CWC G10. But my question was - what would you buy? I'd love a really nice Seiko 6139 Helmet, or vintage Pepsi-bezel Seiko 7A28 - or maybe my first Hummer. Can I get a vintage Omega or similar "big Swiss" brand for this price? All, I fear, are outside my budget.

I'm bowled over by choice... let's see what you'd buy!

Thanks in advance!

I'd go Russian, Poljot or a Strela chronograph, you should be able to get a second hand one for the top end of your price range, and they are great watches.

or if you're not into Russians how about one or two Seiko 5's

Good luck!

hey, bit of a long shot but how about a Bulova, Seen a military style one at our local H samual and it looked pretty ace, also hand wind I think, all for £89.99 :thumbsup:

It does look good, quartz though.

Nothing wrong with quartz watches, ihmo. :)

hey, bit of a long shot but how about a Bulova, Seen a military style one at our local H samual and it looked pretty ace, also hand wind I think, all for £89.99 :thumbsup:

Yeah, agree with you, Stan. Majority of mine are quartz. Was just pointing out it wasn't a mechanical - which is a shame, as a £90 mech Bulova would be nice!

Yeah, agree with you, Stan. Majority of mine are quartz. Was just pointing out it wasn't a mechanical - which is a shame, as a £90 mech Bulova would be nice!

I understand completely, the sad thing is that for £90 you would only get an average mechanical watch with a Chinese movement. Nowt wrong with that, those movements work well imo, considering how anal the Swiss watch industry has become of late you would have to pay much more for a comparable watch with one of theirs in it.

I’m looking out for a second generation Swiss quartz watch that can be repaired now (and for some years), if that isn’t a prospect, I’ll look at what Seiko has to offer.

I like “good†quartz watches, it’s a shame they seem to have gone on the back burner in recent years.

If you want a hummer your choice will be limited if you want one of the major Swiss brands however A Titus et Solvil f300 will fall within your budget and also worth considering and imho the more desirable option, still within budget - a 218 Accutron.Both occasionally surface in sales corner.

Generally, I'd go down the pre-owned/vintage route if I were you.

Hi,

I bought the power reserve model from the original heads-up on the Forum then bought the dual time so I must rate them. The dual time is £170 reduced to £167 today on Amazon. They look and feel great and guys on here report good accuracy. Some are less than £30; for a branded auto they must be a bargain in anyone's book.

Cheers

Gary