• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Gold Plating On Rolex :S

Good evening, I just dug out an old Rolex Oysterdate precision out the drawer when hunting for sum selotape, I gave it a wind and it started no problem and keeping really good time over the past few hours. My question is, is that its gold plated and the plating is starting to wear on one of the lugs where you wind it, is it possible for me to get it replated, or maybe stripped off but not sure if this can be done as it looks brassy color underneath? Anyone with ideas or know someone to call to get the beast looking good again, Pics to follow dont worry guys :) Any help would be great. Cheers

Good evening, I just dug out an old Rolex Oysterdate precision out the drawer when hunting for sum selotape, I gave it a wind and it started no problem and keeping really good time over the past few hours. My question is, is that its gold plated and the plating is starting to wear on one of the lugs where you wind it, is it possible for me to get it replated, or maybe stripped off but not sure if this can be done as it looks brassy color underneath? Anyone with ideas or know someone to call to get the beast looking good again, Pics to follow dont worry guys :) Any help would be great. Cheers

lets see the pics it will help 

lets see the pics it will help 

i can gold plate it for you will need to see pictures first though so i can give you a price ive already done a few members watches etc and straps please see this

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57896

Edited by besspeg

Can you not measure thickness with a very good 0.001mm vernier micrometer or X-ray? :D

Regs

Bry

no but depending if its being tank plated or brush plated i know roughly how much microns of gold are going on the item being plated as theres a guide in my kit.

also please see this thread heres a bracelet i plated for a fellow member

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57921&st=0&p=587991&fromsearch=1&#entry587991

Edited by besspeg

Can you not measure thickness with a very good 0.001mm vernier micrometer or X-ray? :D

Regs

Bry

I can, but to do it accurately you need something like this. I've used this sort of thing plenty of times. :D

Coating%20thickness%208829s.jpg

never seen one of them and will that measure microns ?

It is measuring in microns in the picture. At the moment we use them at work for measuring paint and coatings thickness.

Q.

What is the symbol for microns?

A.

µm

I've actually looked at buying one of them myself. What's the thinnest it can measure? probably no good for measuring DLC or PVD coatings.

262microns or 0.262mm thickness.

then thats no good to me as most watches are 10 or at most 20 microns thick which is still very very thin to build upto 262 microns would cost me a fortune on anything im plating.

The meter in the picture above is measuring 262 microns, which would normally equate to it being able to measure down to 1 micron.

In the lab that i work they electro-plate sensors, tanks and all sorts of stuff.

They also have devices that can measure metallic coatings down to 10 x -12 of a millimetre or 1 millionth of a micron.

On the same note that department can also etch text 100,000 times smaller than any instument can magnify it.

In manufacturing the quality of plating would be measured with a radioactive source.

steve

The meter in the picture above is measuring 262 microns, which would normally equate to it being able to measure down to 1 micron.

In the lab that i work they electro-plate sensors, tanks and all sorts of stuff.

They also have devices that can measure metallic coatings down to 10 x -12 of a millimetre or 1 millionth of a micron.

On the same note that department can also etch text 100,000 times smaller than any instument can magnify it.

In manufacturing the quality of plating would be measured with a radioactive source.

steve

will stick to my guide i think becomes complicated otherwise.