• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Draygo

New Arrival: Sea-Gull Chrono

The 'Chinese' bit of the Russian & Chinese Watches forum doesn't get much action, so I thought I'd post a pic or two of my newest arrival: a Tianjin Sea-Gull chrono.

This is one of the 'other' so-called 1963 re-issues, that's actually called an 0437, I think. It's a thing of beauty imho, and I'm dead chuffed with it.

It shares a lot of characteristics with its sister, the 'real' 1963 re-issue - including the lovely ST19 movement - I guess it's essentially it's the same watch in a chunkier, contemporary-styled case. I've taken a (not very good) comparison shot of my two.

There are yet more 'versions' of this, similar to the 0437 (namely, the 0433 and the 0466) which I would be more than happy to give a home to if I came across one :D

Anyway, here's some pics.

efcb930b.png

46e22962.png

906fe9cd.png

Thanks for looking.

The 'Chinese' bit of the Russian & Chinese Watches forum doesn't get much action, so I thought I'd post a pic or two of my newest arrival: a Tianjin Sea-Gull chrono.

This is one of the 'other' so-called 1963 re-issues, that's actually called an 0437, I think. It's a thing of beauty imho, and I'm dead chuffed with it.

It shares a lot of characteristics with its sister, the 'real' 1963 re-issue - including the lovely ST19 movement - I guess it's essentially it's the same watch in a chunkier, contemporary-styled case. I've taken a (not very good) comparison shot of my two.

There are yet more 'versions' of this, similar to the 0437 (namely, the 0433 and the 0466) which I would be more than happy to give a home to if I came across one :D

Anyway, here's some pics.

efcb930b.png

46e22962.png

906fe9cd.png

Thanks for looking.

:man_in_love: for both!

Mine says "hallo"!

4073218618_8d5ce9b528.jpg

Those are all lovely looking watches. I've never considered buying any 'original' Chinese watches as I've only ever really associated them producing homage watches, usually of european brands, but this obviously displays my total ignorance of the fact that they do make their own nice watches rather than just copying others.

Some info from those of you more experienced with these makes would be much appreciated as I might be tempted to spread even further east than Russia for a few more 'comrade' watches.

Cheers, Ian.

Those are all lovely looking watches. I've never considered buying any 'original' Chinese watches as I've only ever really associated them producing homage watches, usually of european brands, but this obviously displays my total ignorance of the fact that they do make their own nice watches rather than just copying others.

Some info from those of you more experienced with these makes would be much appreciated as I might be tempted to spread even further east than Russia for a few more 'comrade' watches.

Cheers, Ian.

I agree with you! :wink2:

But don't ask me for info, 'cause I'm completely ignorant in chinese watches!

Edited by Vaurien

I`ve got the same pair, both are excellent watches with a nice, quality feel about them :thumbup:

Seagull `1963 Chinese Airforce` cal.ST19 19 Jewels

Seagull1963f.jpg

Seagull Model 0437 cal.ST19, 19 Jewels

SeagullIMG_2015.jpg

& shown here with a different (somewhat older) type of Seagull :P

Seagull3IMG_8079.jpg

BTW here`s another, again very nicely made, modern Chinese watch that I own...

Samson Watch Co. 25 Jewels.

Samson174_7473.jpg

Edited by mach 0.0013137

The Air Force model is a lovely looking watch.

Clean, well-proportioned dial that doesn't look fussy or over-elaborate.

Very attractive.

I wish you health to wear it.

SeagullIMG_2015.jpg

Nice Mach ...all three of them! :thumbsup:

Is that one of Roy's nylon straps on your 0437? It looks perfect for it.

I like the look of mine on a NATO, but it seems a shame to hide away the display back...

In fact, I've just taken delivery of a display back for the '1963', so that'll be off the NATO soon, too.

EDIT: ...and on closer inspection of your pics, I notice that the strap you have on your 1963 looks 'well good' and quite interesting. I know you're not a leather-wearer, so would you mind letting me know what that one is? :D

Edited by Draygo

Sorry - I know very very little. But there are some awesome Chinese Mechanical Watch forums out there. Some of the people behind them visit here from time to time, so they may be able to help.

I really like the Russians, too... but it's good to widen the horizons occasionally, so go for it! :D

SeagullIMG_2015.jpg

Nice Mach ...all three of them! :thumbsup:

Is that one of Roy's nylon straps on your 0437? It looks perfect for it.

I like the look of mine on a NATO, but it seems a shame to hide away the display back...

In fact, I've just taken delivery of a display back for the '1963', so that'll be off the NATO soon, too.

EDIT: ...and on closer inspection of your pics, I notice that the strap you have on your 1963 looks 'well good' and quite interesting. I know you're not a leather-wearer, so would you mind letting me know what that one is? :D

Thanks & yes the 0437 is on one of Roy`s green HDNs, the other two are fitted with Bros Shantungs all synthetic straps which unfortunately no longer seem to be made :(

Thanks & yes the 0437 is on one of Roy`s green HDNs, the other two are fitted with Bros Shantungs all synthetic straps which unfortunately no longer seem to be made :(

...ain't that always the way! Thanks for the info, though.

It bugs the heck out of me, they are lovely straps which if still available I`d quite happily fit on a number of my other watches :taz:

Cheers, Ian.

The 0437 is a terrific, beautiful, variant of the available 1963 re-issues.

I hope I'm not seen as "tooting my own horn" but I think my website (The Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River) will lead you to most of the top Chinese watch resources on the 'net (unless you read Mandarin/hanzi...then there's certainly better!) and you can take a look at the gallery there to see a number of vintage and more modern Chinese watches from my personal collection.

If you want to see current stuff, visit Beijing Watch Factory and especially, this page for an astonishing tourbillon...and Tianjin Sea-Gull (mainland) PRC and Tsinlien Sea-Gull Hong Kong. Be prepared to be surprised :cheers:

Edited by AlbertaTime

Lovely watches, all, I was tempted by the recent one on offer. The hour markers are a close match to the 1951 Orient Star that my 2010 Orient is based upon. Great design, if I may say so....

I`ve got the same pair, both are excellent watches with a nice, quality feel about them :thumbup:

Seagull1963f.jpg

SeagullIMG_2015.jpg

Seagull3IMG_8079.jpg

Samson174_7473.jpg

The watch looks fab, my i ask where you got it from?

Seagull1963f.jpg

SeagullIMG_2015.jpg

Seagull3IMG_8079.jpg

Samson174_7473.jpg

The watch looks fab, my i ask where you got it from?

Thanks, I`m not sure which one you mean, not that it matters as I bought all of them off members* of this forum :rltb:

*one of whom did require months of gentle `persuasion` :bangin: :lol:

Edited by mach 0.0013137