• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Roger the Dodger

Changing Seiko Bezel Insert.

Have just received a Seiko SKX 009J diver, and the bezel insert is black/red instead of blue/red, like I wanted. Have sourced a blue/red bezel insert from a well known source, and am assuming that I just run a scalpel blade under the old insert to break the double sided tape joint, before peeling the paper off the new one and sticking it in place. Yes....No?

Thanks in advance, Rog.

Have just received a Seiko SKX 009J diver, and the bezel insert is black/red instead of blue/red, like I wanted. Have sourced a blue/red bezel insert from a well known source, and am assuming that I just run a scalpel blade under the old insert to break the double sided tape joint, before peeling the paper off the new one and sticking it in place. Yes....No?

Thanks in advance, Rog.

Roger

Fom my experience, which is limited to the earlier Seiko divers, the bezel insert should be an interference fit.

So, take off the bezel and remove the original insert as you describe (but no adhesive to worry about). Replace the bezel and roughly fit the insert so you can line up the insert markers with the dial/chapter ring. Remove the bezel/insert and complete installation of the insert. Refit the bezel/insert to the case.

Depending on the quality of the replacement insert you may need to adjust the OD.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dvae

Thanks for that, Dave....was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the actual bezel, but just run a blade under the existing insert to remove, and press the new one in its place....or isn't it as straight forward as that?...........

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Thanks for that, Dave....was hoping that I wouldn't have to remove the actual bezel, but just run a blade under the existing insert to remove, and press the new one in its place....or isn't it as straight forward as that?...........

Generally the insert is quite a tight fit within the bezel - personally I remove the bezel, turn it face down and slide a thin blade in from the back and work round to separate the insert from it's metal seating underneath.

I would think given the force required you would ruin (or at least deform) the old bezel or worse still scratch the crystal trying to work from the front.

I always put the bezel back on and then put the new insert in else it'll just be luck whether the insert dot / lume lines up properly at 12 o'clock due to the click positions.

Hope this helps!

:cheers:

Roger

Fom my experience, which is limited to the earlier Seiko divers, the bezel insert should be an interference fit.

So, take off the bezel and remove the original insert as you describe

- personally I remove the bezel, turn it face down and slide a thin blade in from the back and work round to separate the insert from it's metal seating underneath.

OK....thanks for the response guys....is it a fairly easy job to remove and replace the bezel itself...and how do you do it? This is a brand new watch, and I don't want to knacker it before I've worn it! :lookaround:

The Seikos that I've worked on (6309-7040 and newer) have all used adhesive - double-sided tape or contact adhesive. No idea if this was original, as the watches may have been worked on previously.

The aftermarket replacement inserts I fitted have all needed adhesive, as they were a loose fit in the bezel.

If you don't fancy levering off the bezel, there's another way. Remove the caseback and movement, and drop the case in an ultrasonic tank - warm soapy water - for 15 minutes. This will soften the adhesive, making removal easy.

The new insert can be secured with a couple of tiny drops of thin cyano, applied with an oiler.

Don't try this method on a watch with a captive aftermarket chapter ring, as the markings will fall off!

Just in case you thought I'd missed it, I have looked at the pinned thread at the top of the page, but all the pics are missing....so any further tips gratefully recieved.....Steve, I saw your tip, but as I said, the watch is brand new, and I didn't want to do anything so drastic as removing the movement etc...I might have done if it was secondhand...I had hoped it was just going to be a case of pop one out and snap in a new one, but obviously not!

Just in case you thought I'd missed it, I have looked at the pinned thread at the top of the page, but all the pics are missing....so any further tips gratefully recieved.....Steve, I saw your tip, but as I said, the watch is brand new, and I didn't want to do anything so drastic as removing the movement etc...I might have done if it was secondhand...I had hoped it was just going to be a case of pop one out and snap in a new one, but obviously not!

I have just completed this task.

1 Remove ratchet bezel from the watch body, by placing a thin STRONG blade between the body and the stainless steel bezel. Wear safety glasses incase the blade snaps.

2 Make a tiny scratch to mark on the stainless steel near to the underside the 12 oclock position.

3 Take a scalple blade and from the rear gently work around the gap between the Stainless steel and the insert.

4 Remove the insert and align the new one, gently press the insert into the stainless steel bezel.

There should be enough stick left from the glue. If not use a tiny amount amount of Araldite.

5 Place the watch on its back and press the bezel onto the watch, I use a thin towel and the palm of my hand.

I have just completed this task.

1 Remove ratchet bezel from the watch body, by placing a thin STRONG blade between the body and the stainless steel bezel. Wear safety glasses incase the blade snaps.

2 Make a tiny scratch to mark on the stainless steel near to the underside the 12 oclock position.

3 Take a scalple blade and from the rear gently work around the gap between the Stainless steel and the insert.

4 Remove the insert and align the new one, gently press the insert into the stainless steel bezel.

There should be enough stick left from the glue. If not use a tiny amount amount of Araldite.

5 Place the watch on its back and press the bezel onto the watch, I use a thin towel and the palm of my hand.

Thanks for that, Haggis...I've just watched a guy change the bezel on a Rolex Here and he did it in under 5mins! I presume the method is similar for the Seiko...

A little force only, and pop. When putting it back on make sure it is level. Press and snap. Good luck.

you have to be careful not to scratch the watch body, if you do fine wet and dry paper in the direction of the machine lines or in other words only use the wet and dry in one direction, then use a dremel polishing bit with metal polish to remove them.

Same as video, gently but with strength.

Edited by Haggis

Didn't realise that it was a brand new watch.

Getting the bezel off can be a bit tricky on a new watch - they get looser with age. It'll come off if you use enough force, and a strong enough blade. I use a small kitchen knife, with a fairly blunt blade. I wrap masking tape around both ends of the blade, leaving a section wide enough to slip under the bezel exposed.

If you aren't bothered about saving the old insert, you could drill a small hole in it, then lever it out with a screwdriver. This is best done by hand, using a pin vice or Dremel, so that you can feel when the drill breaks through the insert.

Depending on the quality of the replacement insert you may need to adjust the OD.

Hope this helps.

This is the insert I have got....

B6JIgEwmkKGrHqNg0EyrwpLPRQBMw3WgCLQ_12.jpg

It looks like the genuine article...time will tell. I'm going to post this as an ongoing thread....like the 'Grandfather Clock Project' (see UK clocks and pocket watches)

Hope this helps.

It looks like the genuine article...time will tell. I'm going to post this as an ongoing thread....like the 'Grandfather Clock Project' (see UK clocks and pocket watches)

Hi Roger, AFAIK Seiko do not supply bezel inserts. You can buy a genuine Seiko OEM replacement bezel, complete with insert but you cannot buy an OEM insert. So, I'm afraid, despite what it says on the label, the insert you have is an aftermarket replacement ie not genuine Seiko. Tht's not to say that it is necessarily of lesser quality.

Regards

Dave

Hope this helps.

Hi Roger, AFAIK Seiko do not supply bezel inserts. You can buy a genuine Seiko OEM replacement bezel, complete with insert but you cannot buy an OEM insert. So, I'm afraid, despite what it says on the label, the insert you have is an aftermarket replacement ie not genuine Seiko. Tht's not to say that it is necessarily of lesser quality.

Regards

Dave

It is identical, I have just fitted one, Dave is correct the Seiko insert comes pre fitted to ensure alignment.

Edited by Haggis

Ok....point noted.....so how much does a prefitted one cost....and where do you source one?

Noah (10watches) has the complete SKX007 black bezel assembly for $45 - try contacting him to see if he can source you a Pepsi SKX009 one.

Stella (pmwf) or Harold (yobokies) might also be worth dropping a mail to.

btw - I have one of the aftermarket pepsi bezels like in your photo. I just fitted it to my 7002 (same size as SKX bezel) and it fits a treat.

Ok....point noted.....so how much does a prefitted one cost....and where do you source one?

Seiko will sell you one, or fit it for you.

I bought the divers watch and 9 months later I noticed a shading difference on the bezel insert when you moved the watch against sunlight. So I took it back to the shop and they sent it back to Seiko who changed the whole bezel.

They kindly sent me back the spare one too. So I fitted a new insert, now I have a complete spare. I do not remember the cost sorry.

Edited by Haggis

Thanks for the continued advice chaps...you know...the more I look at the black and red red bezel, the more it grows on me. I'm going to give it at least another week before I do anything drastic......... :lookaround: :thumbsup:

(Hopefully. I'll get some pics up this week....I've had too much on this weekend)

According to Jules Borel site BEZEL, WHITE W/REB-BLUE INSERT, part no 8601469B is $57.60. The part is not listed by Cousins but you could call them and get them to get a price for you.

I'm a bit mystified why your watch has a black/red bezel? Looking at the Seiko Aus site, the only one I can see which has a black/red bezel is the SKX009K2 although the part number given for the bezel is the same. If you do contact Cousins make sure they know you want the red/blue insert.

Cheers

Dave

I'm a bit mystified why your watch has a black/red bezel? Looking at the Seiko Aus site, the only one I can see which has a black/red bezel is the SKX009K2 although the part number given for the bezel is the same.

The watch I have purchased is the SKX009J1 (Japanese made with a rubber strap...which, by the way is also being changed for a Seiko stainless steel oyster one)

This is the sellers pic....

BQtT8wEWkKGrHqQOKjIEwQQ29-EBMMuId5bHQ_121.jpg

The dial and 'blue' part of the bezel are in fact very, very deep blue so that they appear black....much blacker than that pic (Imagine the Rolex GMT with black face and black/red bezel, and you'll get the idea) I want the lighter blue bezel that comes on the K1/2 model. So why didn't I buy the SKX009K2 (which has the lighter blue bezel, and a SS bracelet?) I suppose at the end of the day, I wanted the Japanese version more than the Korean, and that's how it came. In retrospect, I would have saved myself a lot of dosh and hassle if I'd just gone for the K2...........

Just so you know, here's a pic of the colour of bezel I'm really after....the one I've got is slightly darker.

29900Divers11.jpg

Yup! I know the one. This is mine.

100_6152a.jpg

I think the model is SKX175P9. Dial is marked MOV'T SINGAPORE. I also have a SKX009K1 which is the same colour.

Hope you get sorted. Personally, I'd just leave it with the original bezel.

Cheers

Dave