• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

London Vintage Watch Dealers

pcn1

Hi all,

Been a while since I last posted and I can see the forums had a bit of an update (Wheres the Swiss watch section gone !!!)

Anyway, been thinking of getting myself a "birthday" watch for some time, 1965 seamaster might fit the bill. Im up the smoke soon, so does anyone know of any vintage watch dealers I can drop in and have a "relaxing" look at their inventory ?

Thanks

HI, try Austin Kaye's in the strand, a bit pricey but you do get serviced watches, also the antique watch shop in Clerkenwell road ec1, just google them and you can see their stock on line, or have you thought about a wanted add on gumtree (it's free) and xmas almost here someone may want some cash and part with one, just a thought.

Cheers, John

The Burlington Arcade has the most concentrated selection of vintage watch shops in one place.... Scary prices though and in my very limited experience not that friendly .... The Omega shop has some good people in it though....

+1 for that. Do your research before you go one prices to avoid paying tourist prices. Just round the corner is Bond Street and while these are mainly focused on new watches stick your head in Watches of Bond Street (actually in new bond street). I've bought from there in the past and they have a choice of older stuff too.

If anyone likes history then look up burlingotn arcade on google - it has a good background!

HI, try Austin Kaye's in the strand, a bit pricey but you do get serviced watches, also the antique watch shop in Clerkenwell road ec1, just google them and you can see their stock on line, or have you thought about a wanted add on gumtree (it's free) and xmas almost here someone may want some cash and part with one, just a thought.

Cheers, John

I can confirm the Antique watch shop, a great guy to deal with, i had a couple of watches off his website, excellent,,good luck

cheers James.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270664668791&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seen this little one on the bay. Dont know anything about the seller (or the watch) Im new to vintage watches so I could be easily fooled.

Any thoughts chaps ? Theres lots of old Omega's about, even Seamasters of various types. What makes this one special, or not so special do you think ?

Thanks

Bump.

Any thoughts chaps on my last post ?

Thanks

HI, I looked at that last link you put up, I can't see any actual shop to go to just an on line one, and to be honest if I am parting with that sort of money I would want to be able to see it in the "flesh" first, and to be quite honest I think it is a bit over priced for what it is.

To be honest being as you are not from London and do not know people here, then go to a shop where you at the least get a guarantee and can look at different models to compare, you may like one you had not thought of until you see it, so that is my sugestion and good luck.

Cheers, John

Guest littlealex

Bump.

Any thoughts chaps on my last post ?

Thanks

I had a look yesterday

...And was reminded of the forum rule on not posting links to websites selling watches [see forum rules and guidelines] :wink: .

But ...

I had been watching a similar watch on the same site a few days ago.The dial battons on this one were silver,but apart form that,was the same watch and bracelet combo [Went for just short of £200] .

The watch seemed to be in ''As found'' condition,Whereas yours i would guess has been prepared to some degree [it does look very clean].

Am tentatively looking for something similar myself,So ...

Cheers

The Burlington Arcade has the most concentrated selection of vintage watch shops in one place.... Scary prices though and in my very limited experience not that friendly .... The Omega shop has some good people in it though....

I agree - but walk down Bond Street too - LOADS of dealers and small shops selling seconhand.

Worth looking and asking dealers in Portobello. Check the Internet first to get a good idea about prices and conditions.

Right then, Im going to have a day off work next week and go to the london dealers you guy's suggest. I need to get a "feel" for asking prices and conditions then go from there. In truth Id need to see the watch in the flesh from a dealer with a reputation before Id be happy parting with my cash !

Apploigies for posting up the link :unsure: