• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
byrnes

Christopher Ward Watches

Morning people.

On another forum I am active on, someone has mentioned Christopher Ward watches. A London watch maker.

Some very nice watches on his website and at very reasonable prices.

Anyone know anything about him or his work?

Morning,

I believe the company was founded by three friends with the aim of providing 'high quality watches at low prices'.

I don't have any personal experience of them but they seem to be pretty well regarded.

Cheers,

Dave.

My 1st Christopher Ward is en-route (weather permitting). Hope it is okay as they seem to do decent quality Swiss watches without the price tags of some other makers. Will be posting a short review on it when it arrives, so watch this space.

Check out the independant Christopher Ward Forum for more comprehensive reviews by owners as not many on here seem to buy them or have an interest in this maker (yet)

Edited by citizenhell

I don't have one but my wife has 3 of his. They are very well made and feel far more expensive than they are. The packaging they come in also puts more expensive brands to shame. Having said all that - his latest models are definitely moving up a price bracket or 3!

Give them a try - they have the 60:60 returns/warranty thing so you haven't much to lose.

Guy

Here's mine:

CWL04.jpg

and the 710's:

ba29981b.jpg

I haven't a bad word to say about CW other than, as mentioned already, their prices seem to be creeping up contrary to the company goal!

Please excuse my ignorance, as well as veering off topic for a sec, but why does everyone refer to their other halves as 710's??!

Please excuse my ignorance, as well as veering off topic for a sec, but why does everyone refer to their other halves as 710's??!

I don't any more after I got slapped down on another part of the forum for doing it :nono:. I just assumed it was an 'other half' forum code until someone sent me the joke it relates to :oops:

My Friend has the Malvern Chrono and i must say at the money really good value and well made. I don't know what movements are used but if they are as good as the looks they are a great watch.

This question comes up on a weekly basis - If you search here for 'christopher ward' you get a reply:

Your results for the term 'christopher ward' limited to the first 200

Many of those relate to the same question you just asked & mainly have the same reply that if you like the look of C W watch(es) they offer good quality at competitive prices with excellent Customer Services (including the 60 day return option) & many people here are happy owners (or in my case, have been happy owners)

Cheers

Paul

I can't quite put my finger on why - but they just don't do it for me.

I've tried but I can't quite manage to "buy into the brand".

:dontgetit:

Me neither, I am particular about fonts and I dont like either the name or the font on CW's. I been right through their range and I can find nothing that I want to buy, it's a big range now too.

Edited by MarkF

I can't quite put my finger on why - but they just don't do it for me.

I've tried but I can't quite manage to "buy into the brand".

:dontgetit:

Me neither, I am particular about fonts and I dont like either the name or the font on CW's. I been right through their range and I can find nothing that I want to buy, it's a big range now too.

I don't have an issue with the name as such - although I feel single words are better. But I know what you mean - I just can't love "Precista" (although I do like Eddie's designs). I can't say I am particularly particular about fonts - but the whole thing has to 'look' right - even though I might not be able to identify why it does, or doesn't.

I guess it's that subtle difference which differentiates an artistic masterpiece from a technically accomplished painting.

I want to like CW and I've tried to persuade myself but just still feel quite tepid somehow, the handsets on a lot of their range doesn't help and there somehow seems a bit of an air of desperation with some of their attempts at forces tie-ins but as stated elsewhere if you utilise their 60-60 deal you should find out soon enough

"Tepid" - an excellent adjective, verb, noun, whatever :thumbsup:

Describes my Christopher Ward feeling exactly...

What is it about their watches which isn't done better by another brand?

This is one of the joys of watch collecting - one man's meat is another man's poison. Personally I like them particularly the C600 Tritech diver & the C70 Grand Prix series.

As for the desperation of the forces series, they do apparently have a tie-up with HM Forces to supply certain watches, so at least this is a genuine reason for producing them rather than some other pseudo military monstrosities that appear from time to time.

My tepid brand - SEIKO. Don't get em, never had. Completely understand that many people love em & good luck to you all, but they don't do a thing for me, probably because I tend to like slightly off the beaten track things rather than mainstream machines.

Same reason why I'd never buy a Ford - they do good cars but just not my cup of tea.

You don't say which model you are interested in, but I've had two Malvern's and a diver's watch, a couple for the Wife and a selection of bands and I can only say that fot the 'price point', I've been impressed.

I haven't had one in hand, but I understand their wrranty is quite generous, and their service has been reported as above-average.

Of course, our host :rltrlt: sells very affordable, very fine watches, as well. :whistle:

I have a Christopher ward watch for sale if you are interested. It is nearly half price from rrp having been used a few times and around 6 months old.

Have a look in the sales forum if you are interested and look out for the CW sale thread from kc104. Many thanks for D Spalding for pointing this one out to me.

My 1st Christopher Ward is en-route (weather permitting). Hope it is okay as they seem to do decent quality Swiss watches without the price tags of some other makers. Will be posting a short review on it when it arrives, so watch this space.

Check out the independant Christopher Ward Forum for more comprehensive reviews by owners as not many on here seem to buy them or have an interest in this maker (yet)

INDEPENDENT!?!? Most forums are all BUT independent and CW Forum is most surely not unbiased.

a) They look good

B) They are not in London (not that it matters)

c) They are good value for money watches

e) They are on my wishing list

f) They are now using Swiss movements

I have discovered them around 2007 - in those days they were making "cheaper" models mainly with Japanese movements. They have moved to some great designs and Swiss movement.

At their prices they have caught much of my attention. I keep saying that RLT and CW are probable the best two brands on value for money watches (plus - they are British)

INDEPENDENT!?!? Most forums are all BUT independent and CW Forum is most surely not unbiased.

a) They look good

B) They are not in London (not that it matters)

c) They are good value for money watches

e) They are on my wishing list

f) They are now using Swiss movements

I have discovered them around 2007 - in those days they were making "cheaper" models mainly with Japanese movements. They have moved to some great designs and Swiss movement.

At their prices they have caught much of my attention. I keep saying that RLT and CW are probable the best two brands on value for money watches (plus - they are British)

I meant 'Independant' as in not owned or run by the manufacturer. Wouldn't disagree about unbiased but when you have a one brand forum that's surely one of the main points?