• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
whatmeworry

Breitling Next Month Or Rolex In A Year?

Hmmm, that means I have to listen to the voices for over a year. :(

Yeah but isn't anticipation half the fun?! Let us know what happens....

Edited by Stinch

but you are dead right of course, not on credit :thumbsdown:

I went into Mappin and Webb with the money to buy my Explorer. The AD tried but head office wouldn't allow discount on any of the Rolex 'sports watches' but as part of the interest free credit they gave me a letter entitling me to a free service with Rolex on any watch at any time so I banked the money.

I'd be quite happy with that. Just need to have the money before I spend it.

Hmmm, that means I have to listen to the voices for over a year. :(

Yeah but isn't anticipation half the fun?! Let us know what happens....

I will: )

Rolex in a year without a doubt

Brightblings ...... just say NO!!!

LOL

Cheers Mel, already done the Alpha thing (I've owned and flipped 4 including an Explorer) but they just left me wanting more THE REAL THING

:thumbup:

I have amended it for you :D

Cue the 90% of the watch for 1% of the price brigade :lol: :lol:

And a visit from Buster maybe :P

I was briefly part of that brigade when I first got into watches, that's when I bought 3 Alphas in the space of a few weeks. As noted above though, they all got flipped!

Cheers Mel, already done the Alpha thing (I've owned and flipped 4 including an Explorer) but they just left me wanting more THE REAL THING

Bond My old 6694 from 1968 changed my mind regarding the brand I will have a 1960`s-1970`s sub one of these days

Edited by gaz64

Bond My old 6694 from 1968 changed my mind regarding the brand I will have a 1960`s-1970`s sub one of these days

:)

I went into Mappin and Webb with the money to buy my Explorer. The AD tried but head office wouldn't allow discount on any of the Rolex 'sports watches' but as part of the interest free credit they gave me a letter entitling me to a free service with Rolex on any watch at any time so I banked the money.

ooo harsh, i have had the same treatment buying cars. frankly if i am holding the folding i expect better deal than finance, walked both time this happened.

cant speak from experience of buying watches as i usually buy used these days, but i thought about 10% wasn't too difficult to come by.

mind you that free service could be worth a few quid .... horses for courses i suppose.

but am still not too keen on credit for something as incidental as a watch.

a tougher choice than i first thought perhaps.... dunno though...

Edited by desmondus rotundus

ooo harsh, i have had the same treatment buying cars. frankly if i am holding the folding i expect better deal than finance, walked both time this happened.

And "they" let you walk and then probably sold the motors to somebody willing to pay the right price :ph34r:

I suspect the Rolex Ad that didn't discount knew that there would be somebody along shortly that would pay the asking price.

:lol: :lol:

Edited by BondandBigM

...The G-Shocks I've had certainly haven't been much better than 20s a month.

Wow. New definition of "cheap @§§ watch." My 8 yo daughter came to Thanksgiving with a G-shock that tunes to the Colorado time tick every night at 2, 3, 4, and 5 AM. Now I understand why it's such a cool feature. :rolleyes:

I don't stress about my watches' accuracy, not until they're 1 minute behind or 2 minutes ahead. Which, for most of them, take about 2 weeks. (Looks down at my O&W 5513 ... haven't had to unscrew the crown in a month or more.)

I'm with others, if the Rolex is what you want, work to get the Rolex. You'll be so gratified when you get it. The things you want, really want, and work through discipline, restraint, and dedication to acquire, you really do appreciate I think. I sometimes take a year or two to decide to buy something, and get years of enjoyment out of them. Impulse buys ... :yawn: .

Edited by David Spalding

I'm with others, if the Rolex is what you want, work to get the Rolex. You'll be so gratified when you get it. The things you want, really want, and work through discipline, restraint, and dedication to acquire, you really do appreciate I think. I sometimes take a year or two to decide to buy something, and get years of enjoyment out of them. Impulse buys ... :yawn: .

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

I've always wanted a Rolex Exoplorer but the size was always a problem for me, too small, I bought a Zeno version, a lovely watch but it only proved that I couldn't live with 36mm. I'll have a look at the 39mm in the New Year. I've always liked the idea of a Colt quartz too, especially with the upgraded (post 2000?) movement, who has one, is it Donnelly?

I have bought one Rolex and the AD desperately tried to manouvre me to finance, he definitely didn't want cash, he still got it though.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. However, if I had your dilemma, I'd buy the Colt and wear it daily, then I'd buy the best looking Explorer for dress, the Sandoz version. :thumbup:

I have bought one Rolex and the AD desperately tried to manouvre me to finance, he definitely didn't want cash, he still got it though.

That’s because they are getting double bubble &profit & commission from the fiancé deal, if its a interest free deal they are usuallyat full RRP, so therefore more profit

BR Martin

i would not spend that amount on a quartz, go for a colt automatic or for a little bit more and much more watch get a steelfish, there are some decent second hand ones kicking about on the bay or try a few AD's for new prices depending on how much you have to spend

My plan, such as it is at the moment, is to try and save for the Explorer and then fall back on a used Colt if I just can't go the distance. Then when I have managed to save the rest I can cash in the Colt an hopefully not make too much of a loss.

To be fair to Mappin & Webb they did not push or even suggest interest free credit to me. They really tried to get me a discount. The manager spoke to Goldsmiths head office whilst I was there but at that time they would not allow him to discount on Explorer, GMT, Sub or SD but would allow negotiation on ‘Dress watches’ i.e. Air King Datejust etc. I decided I wanted that particular Explorer anyway (it was straight out of the box, not been tried on etc) and to me it made sense to put my money back in the bank (I still have it plus a bit of interest) and ask for interest free credit. The shop then said as we couldn’t give you a discount we will give you a letter entitling you to a free service with Rolex at anytime on any watch. I felt this would probably be worth getting on for a 10% discount anyway.

I always prefer to adjust the bracelets myself but sods law this time when doing so marked a little a couple of the link screw heads. I rang the shop, they ordered me a set of new screws from Rolex. These arrived a couple of days later and were given to me free of charge.

I think under the right circumstances interest free credit makes perfect sense!

Roger

Edited by Stinch

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I visited Watches of Switzerland in Brighton yesterday to try an Explorer on. Perhaps inevitably as soon as it was on my wrist I knew I had to have it. "Buy it before I change my mind" said my wife. So I did.

It really is a beautiful watch and the 36mm size looks perfect on me.

Here's a very quick and dirty cellphone pic.

Explorer.jpg

cant speak from experience of buying watches as i usually buy used these days, but i thought about 10% wasn't too difficult to come by.

mind you that free service could be worth a few quid .... horses for courses i suppose.

but am still not too keen on credit for something as incidental as a watch.

a tougher choice than i first thought perhaps.... dunno though...

Rolex are trying to be selective in their customers, they are worried that the wrong type of client has been using their products in recent years, Cash is cash unless you want a Rolex. Dress up for the puchase.

I would also say if you are still not sure, don't buy. It is better to want what you don't have than to have what you don't want.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I visited Watches of Switzerland in Brighton yesterday to try an Explorer on. Perhaps inevitably as soon as it was on my wrist I knew I had to have it. "Buy it before I change my mind" said my wife. So I did.

Here's a very quick and dirty cellphone pic.

Explorer.jpg

Well done!

Beautiful looking watch :)

Nice one! Every now and then it's good to just 'live for today'!! I have no regrets over buying mine.

Cheers Roger

Edited by Stinch