• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
whatmeworry

Breitling Next Month Or Rolex In A Year?

I've been collecting watches for a while now and built up a healthy collection of cheap and cheapish pieces plus one nicer one (a Sinn 656). What I've found lately though is that the cheaper watches are giving me less and less pleasure and I'm fed up having so many watches that most rarely get worn. I've decided to scale down from 20+ pieces to 7 and use the funds this raises to buy something nicer than anything I currently have. In the last 2 days I've managed to sell 6 watches so I'm not doing badly.

At the moment I'm looking at 2 watches, both Swiss but otherwise quite different. Whichever I get I'd almost certainly buy pre-owned from a reputable dealer.

The first is the Breitling Colt II quartz. I love the idea of having a high end quartz watch and this is quite different from anything else in my collection. Based on current prices for a mint used piece, I reckon I could afford to buy one early in the new year.

Second option is the Rolex Explorer I. This is pretty much a grail of mine and a watch I definitely want to own at some point. The downside though is I won't be able to afford it until early in 2012 with no money to buy anything else in the meantime.

So, any thoughts on either watch or sage advice on what I should do.

Cheers,

Olly

Olly

How about a new Explorer 1 on interest free credit which the Goldsmiths chain do. I got mine that way earlier this year. I'd heard that the 36mm version was to be superceded by the 39mm version so decided to go for it whilst they were still around. The Rolex website now only advertises the 39mm version but I think dealers still have the original size.

Roger

Edited by Stinch

Olly

How about a new Explorer 1 on interest free credit which the Goldsmiths chain do. I got mine that way earlier this year. I'd heard that the 36mm version was to be superceded by the 39mm version so decided to go for it whilst they were still around. The Rolex website now only advertises the 39mm version but I think dealers still have the original size.

Roger

I have considered looking into finance options but I'm reluctant to go that route as it sets a precedent for me. All my watch purchases to date have been funded in a very specific way (won't go into it in detail but basically its by making savings elsewhere) and this allows me to indulge my hobby without worrying that I'm taking money away from my family.

I think your making the right decision financially then. Having also waited a long time I was going to buy mine ouright but having got the money interest free seemed to make sense. As to the choice I had an Explorer years ago which I stupidly got rid of and always wanted another, I also had a Breitling Colt Auto which was a really nice watch but I'm not missing the Breitling as much as I did the Explorer. Good luck!

All my watch purchases to date have been funded in a very specific way

I work for a bank

large_teller.JPG

:lol: :lol:

I would hold out for the Rolex, better value in the long run. That being said if you can buy the Breitling second hand at a keen price you may well be able to sell it in a years time for reasonable money and trade up to the Explorer with your savings.

All my watch purchases to date have been funded in a very specific way

I work for a bank

large_teller.JPG

:lol: :lol:

I would hold out for the Rolex, better value in the long run. That being said if you can buy the Breitling second hand at a keen price you may well be able to sell it in a years time for reasonable money and trade up to the Explorer with your savings.

LOL - no, that's not quite it (and if it was I doubt I'd have this dilemma! )

I don't know if this is me being an idiot, but part of me quite likes the idea of getting the Breitling because it means the Explorer is way out of reach again. Shouldn't a grail be hard to attain? I'm 37 now, so resetting my watch fund to zero would mean (at my current rate of saving) I could afford the Explorer for my 40th birthday, which feels kind of appropriate.

Although having said that I'd love it sooner.

I don't know if this is me being an idiot, but part of me quite likes the idea of getting the Breitling because it means the Explorer is way out of reach again. Shouldn't a grail be hard to attain? I'm 37 now, so resetting my watch fund to zero would mean (at my current rate of saving) I could afford the Explorer for my 40th birthday, which feels kind of appropriate.

I couldn't agree more....... :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more....... :thumbsup:

Not sure if you're agreeing that I'm an idiot or that the Explorer would be a fitting 40th birthday present....

I'd agree with Bond, if you can find a Breitling at a decent price, buy it, enjoy it for a couple of years and as long sa it doesn't get bashed around, you should get most of your money back when it's time for the 'grail'.

Either way, all the best with it. :)

I'd agree with Bond, if you can find a Breitling at a decent price, buy it, enjoy it for a couple of years and as long sa it doesn't get bashed around, you should get most of your money back when it's time for the 'grail'.

Either way, all the best with it. :)

That does seem like a pretty good, have your cake and eat it style plan. Cheers guys!

Buy yourself an Alpha and do something sensible with the rest --> :cheers: :wine: :pepsi: :drinks:

If you really, truly, definitely think you'd like a Rolly, find an AD and try on the one you want, and then get it as soon as you can, moneywise. We used to have a saying in my younger days - by the time you could afford an E-type (Jaguar) you would be too old to drive one! :yes:

Some folks will suggest buying a "homage" to keep you going till you get the real thing ~~~ :whistle:

Cheers Mel, already done the Alpha thing (I've owned and flipped 4 including an Explorer) but they just left me wanting more. I did seriously think about getting an MKII Vantage but again I think I'd end up still wanting the Rolex.

bought the alpha explorer - dont do it.

its a loverly little thing and all it did was make me want the real thing.

had to sell it to sam.

go for the grail as soon as it is in reach - life is too short.

of course saying this partly as i dont really like breitlings, but then i like tags :whistle:

thankfully i have got past individual grail watches and just enjoy flipping a few every now and then, down to 9 now that is about right for me.

Cheers Mel, already done the Alpha thing (I've owned and flipped 4 including an Explorer) but they just left me wanting more. I did seriously think about getting an MKII Vantage but again I think I'd end up still wanting the Rolex.

:thumbup:

I think my next step has to be visiting some ADs and spending a bit of time handling and trying on both watches. That might well make up my decision for me one way or the other.

... a high end quartz watch ....

:huh: I'm not sure I grasp this concept. Quartz is quartz. What, the "high end" crystal is mined by chaste, virgin nubiles and lovingly sliced down by faeries, and assembled by elves in a secret workshop?

I say work to your grail. I recall reading that Rolex is ruining (a matter of taste and perspective) the Explorer I by enlarging it (36mm -> 39mm?) but fitting it with same size hands. :thumbsdown: Now might be the time pick up the old model (semi-steeply discounted), or watch for an owner trading up to the new and selling the older model pre-owned.

... a high end quartz watch ....

:huh: I'm not sure I grasp this concept. Quartz is quartz. What, the "high end" crystal is mined by chaste, virgin nubiles and lovingly sliced down by faeries, and assembled by elves in a secret workshop?

I say work to your grail. I recall reading that Rolex is ruining (a matter of taste and perspective) the Explorer I by enlarging it (36mm -> 39mm?) but fitting it with same size hands. :thumbsdown: Now might be the time pick up the old model (semi-steeply discounted), or watch for an owner trading up to the new and selling the older model pre-owned.

The quartz movement is thermo-compensated so its less affected by variations in temperature. This means its accurate to about 20s a year rather than 20s a month (for a regular quartz).

The quartz movement is thermo-compensated so its less affected by variations in temperature. This means its accurate to about 20s a year rather than 20s a month (for a regular quartz).

20s a month? :eek: WhrTF do you buy one that bad? I have several Seiko quartz watches, and they usually lose or gain about 2-5 seconds over the six months before I have to adjust to DST or back again. The watches have been used from 36° to 110° (higher if you count the saunas hot tubs I've worn the H558 in, and yes I know that was awful of me).[1]

All that said, this watch on offer in Sales is a real looker. If it has something like the ETA 988.333 in my Tissot, I can attest to loving it. But my Tissot lost 2-3 seconds in the last month. :huh:

[1] I recall a thread discussing thermo compensation here, but I've forgotten the dirty details.

20s a month? :eek: WhrTF do you buy one that bad? I have several Seiko quartz watches, and they usually lose or gain about 2-5 seconds over the six months before I have to adjust to DST or back again. The watches have been used from 36° to 110° (higher if you count the saunas hot tubs I've worn the H558 in, and yes I know that was awful of me).[1]

All that said, this watch on offer in Sales is a real looker. If it has something like the ETA 988.333 in my Tissot, I can attest to loving it. But my Tissot lost 2-3 seconds in the last month. :huh:

[1] I recall a thread discussing thermo compensation here, but I've forgotten the dirty details.

The G-Shocks I've had certainly haven't been much better than 20s a month. On the other hand my G10 performs within HEQ specs.

(And no I don't mean I was wearing them both at the same time).

used to have a rod up my butt about this accurate to the nth degree.

but found that i was spending minutes every month on checking for a few seconds variation - so i thought sod it and bought some pretty vintage instead.

buy the explorer

listen to the voices

explorer

but you are dead right of course, not on credit :thumbsdown:

but you are dead right of course, not on credit :thumbsdown:

I went into Mappin and Webb with the money to buy my Explorer. The AD tried but head office wouldn't allow discount on any of the Rolex 'sports watches' but as part of the interest free credit they gave me a letter entitling me to a free service with Rolex on any watch at any time so I banked the money.

Edited by Stinch