• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

Biorhythms Anyone?

A friend of mine brought me an electronic watch to service recently. I had heard of these watches but had never seen one and now I want one. :wink:

It was a Certina Biostar Electronic. The only watch to use the Dynotron ESA 9156 movement : this is essentially a normal ESA 9154 from the balance side but with some added complications for the biorhythm discs.

I'll let the photos do the talking; sorry the photos are so bad but I took them in a hurry, in artificial light and at 10pm:

A fairly normal looking ESA Dynotron movement from the balance side; the electronics, balance etc are all exactly the same as the very common ESA 9154:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%203.jpg

But it's not an ESA 9154...:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%204.jpg

Flip it over and things start to look different compared to the 9154. No standard calendar wheels but a strange new multi-layered cog towards the bottom which is attached to a long arm going up the left hand side:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%202.jpg

Let's put the first disc on : Red for Intellect:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%205.jpg

Second disc : Blue for Emotion:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%206.jpg

At this stage, I'm not bothered how the discs relate to each other; I'm just hoping I can sort it out at the end :ph34r: ! Each disc is driven by one of the "layers" on the cog at the top.

[more]

So how do you set it up?

Well, when you bought one, your watch maker opened up the back and wrote your birth date in the case back:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%2010.jpg

He (or she), then removed the movement from the case and dis-engaged all four discs by pulling out that mysterious lever:

Certina%20Biostar%20Electronic%20ESA%209156%208 with arrows.jpg

Having disengaged the discs, you could then rotate each wheel, through the gap in the dial, using a couple of special rubber-tip tools. It is described in German here:

http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/img/daten/AnleitungBiostar.pdf

And you would set the wheels based on your birth date...and you can view what they should be here:

http://www.vosgroene.de/biorhythm.html

Now I'm looking for a s/steel version....:sadwalk:

Interesting Paul - ISTR there was a program for the zx81 that did the same thing on your Sinclair - but the watch is easier to check on the move then? :D

Slightly OT - I didn't have a clue about biorythms so did a quick google & checked my biorythms on 3 different sites, each one gave different results :rolleyes:

Funky looking watch though :thumbsup:

Guest Om_nom_nom_Watches!

At this stage, I'm not bothered how the discs relate to each other

That's probably going to be the easiest bit to get your head round though...

As I understand, (y)our biorhythms drift in and out of phase with one another, and so there will be times when only one is dominant, times when two are, and times when all three are in play together. So, for tasks which require a mixture of emotion intellect and fitness, one is supposed to wait for a day when all three are showing together. If however you're simply moving furniture that day then it's probably OK if only the fitness one is showing ...or if you're just doing crossword puzzles then just the intellect one will suffice, etc.

Now, that's assuming you believe in the theory of biorhythms, which I don't. (:

Nice interesting watch anyway. Good find. :good:

Hi Paul, I happen to own one of these too (not in s/steel though!) and very handsome on the wrist it is too in my opinion. It's on my list of watches to be sent to the sea-side sometime for some R&R, but tell me - did you have any insurmountable problems in servicing this oddity? Thanks, Steve.

but tell me - did you have any insurmountable problems in servicing this oddity? Thanks, Steve.

None Steve...as long as the discs are ok, the rest is a pretty standard ESA Dynotron movement.

I really like that and missed a chance to pick one up several years ago... wish I had!

Now I just figure my biorhythoms on one of these...

BDParty-Watchpocket-Poljot-HP-etc015.jpg

Or my Stnls. Stl. version! These do everything but walk the dog and I've even used it for that on occasion.