• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Watch, Next Step Up From My Seiko Collection, Advice Needed?!

j4ckal

Right I'm in need of some help/advice/criticism on my next upcoming watch purchase in a couple of months...

Yes I know it should be 'buy what you like the most' but there's that much choice I need a little help from people with a little more experience than myself! I'm going to be buying this watch as a 30th bday present to myself so it's something I'd like to keep, not an impulse buy I'm going to end up trading in for something else.

My current collection of seiko's includes a black sumo, a 6138-0011 vintage chrono, an 'RAF' quartz 7t27-7a20 chrono and a 7s26 military inspired piece, and another vintage divers that is currently in pieces, so quite varied really.

The next watch I want will have to be mechanical/automatic and I'm thinking a divers as I've grown to love the simplicity of the dial, ruggedness and of course the rotating bezels.

Now after being into the seiko's for the last 18 months or so I'd always thought the next step up would be a marinemaster 300 direct from japan (as the sumo was), but over the last month or so I've been looking into alot of other options, mainly ones with Swiss movements.

So a little short list I've come up with is as follows;

-Oris diver (with date)

-Sinn U1

-Tag heuer Aquaracer 500m

-Seiko mm300

Or top of my list of what I'd really like would be an omega PO, or maybe an SMP, these of which would probably have to be sourced secondhand, or I'd have to sell off some or all of the seiko's to fund one if I purchased new..

And, ignoring the statement I made above (work this one out) i've also got my eye on a speedmaster pro, 3750 (?) I think it is with the solid caseback..?

Any help, comments, opinions, criticisms, or what other models to consider greatly appreciated..

Which ever you choose be sure to buy it on a s/steel bracelet. This will allow you the flexibility to add a leather or rubber strap if or when it takes your fancy. I find that sometimes, when a watch isn't receiving much wrist time, a little strap change can be almost as good as getting a new watch. Works for me.

From what you have it narrowed down to I'd definately say an Oris would be best, I currently have my eye on this myself

web1a9245590.jpg

Google friends of oris, they can sometimes work out cheaper than buying in UK even with the added tax

Thanks, yes I love the look of the Oris diver range, especially the size and 'tool' look about them.

The only part I'm not too keen on is the lug design/integrated type bracelet..

Also how would an Oris compare quality wise with say something like my sumo or an mm300..?

Print out a photo of each watch, which watch do you look at the most? Buy it, :man_in_love:

Superb advice.

Among the kinds of divers you're looking at, I would definitely look at Steinhart. Gunter makes some Sub-homages, some reproducing vintage models (Ocean Red, Ocean Red Vintage, Ocean Vintage GMT (new). He also has new Ocean models coming this spring ("Ocean 2," "Ocean 44"). Based on your appreciation of Seikos, his Triton watches (a bit more original) might appeal to you. Great quality there.

Theres a nice Omega SMP Auto on the sale forum right now at a decent price which would keep you happy for many years im sure.

They are just about as good a watch as you can get for all round style/quality/functionality.

Looks good with a suit or with your surf gear on!!

Ahh yes thanks for the heads up. I was looking at that earlier, I'd be wanting a black full size one tho...

Stick with Seiko, they are awesome understated, quality. Why change what you know and love? Plus Seiko make the best dive watches ;).

Not arguing with you, Seiko make superb watches, great VFM, but .... that last bit has me :rofl: as a bit of pure barroom opining.[1] :drinks:

[1] Like, "only women with big ***s are attractive." "Only [$NATION] make true performance-bred sports cars." "Men who imbibe [$DRINK] are [$whatever]s."

Edited by David Spalding

No probs dude, I only say it because they are cheap and strong dive watches for the money so you can use and abuse them - i.e. good for diving. Not saying there aren´t other strong watches but for diving you don´t really want 3k on your wrist anyway... unless you want to show off or you have loads of money in the first place :naughty:.

Have to admit, the Sinn would be top of my list from the above if you want something a bit more upmarket because I really like the clean, high class style (+ quality) and they are "rarer" than your Rolex, Omega, Breitling bunch which seem to be in every shop around town :naughty: . Or a higher end Seiko because they are understated and they are damn cool. I would say Seiko divers are very popular amongst enthusiasts but to the general population they are still pretty much never-heard-of, especially the higher-end ones (no one thinks of Seiko as a luxury brand and they go for Rolex, Breitling, Omega etc.).

Well, what I mean is I´ve lived in the UK, German and Spain and I´ve only ever seen about 2 or 3 (max) Seiko divers and I pay a lot of attention to what people wear!

R.e. diving, those combination dive computer/digital watches seem to be very popular now with the guys at the club. They are small now and double up as a wearable everyday watch as well!

Print out a photo of each watch, which watch do you look at the most? Buy it, :man_in_love:

Superb advice.

Among the kinds of divers you're looking at, I would definitely look at Steinhart. Gunter makes some Sub-homages, some reproducing vintage models (Ocean Red, Ocean Red Vintage, Ocean Vintage GMT (new). He also has new Ocean models coming this spring ("Ocean 2," "Ocean 44"). Based on your appreciation of Seikos, his Triton watches (a bit more original) might appeal to you. Great quality there.

Yes thanks for that, just been looking on their website, I quite like the look of the tritons and the vintage... Have any of the tritons ever been available on a bracelet?

How about this? It's the brand new Baselworld 2010: Oris Col Moschin Special Forces Watch - RRP £2250

Special forces watch -49mm titanium case, antimagnetic, “gun metal grey†PVD, 1,000m water resistant…

Tribute to the Italian 9th Reggimento d’Assalto Paracadutisti (9th Parachutist Assault Regiment)

This is the new “Col Moschin†Limited Edition watch from Oris. In a testament to its worthiness, Oris had it field tested by the Col Moschin – perhaps the most elite unit of the Italian Army. “Field tested†is perhaps an understatement given that the Col Moschin special forces wore the watch on jumps from 9,000 meters and on dives down to 40 meters, among other rugged uses. Most striking about this watch is its size – the 49mm case is massive just like it looks. But because the case is titanium, and it comes on a rubber strap, it is probably much lighter than you might think. Also adding to its manly appeal is its thick, brush-finish bezel that looks very tough. Lest you forget what country’s elite special forces this watch is inspired by, the power reserve is done in the Italian colors of red, white and green.

2uzfp6b.jpg

t96zh0.jpg

Cheers,

Gixxer

I've had a Sinn U1 and after hankering for a long time I was very disappointed. Oris are horrid, the bracelets pinch, the bezels feel cheap and I think a lot of people get the fact that they are heavy confused with genuine quality. I'v never been a fan of TAG Heuer so i haven't come into contact with many so I'm unqualified to comment.

The Marine Master is by far and away a step up from the first two though.

I'm never letting mine go

DSC_0073.jpg

I've had a Sinn U1 and after hankering for a long time I was very disappointed. Oris are horrid, the bracelets pinch, the bezels feel cheap and I think a lot of people get the fact that they are heavy confused with genuine quality.

Ignore this guy except the Marine Master part :D

Yes thanks for that, just been looking on their website, I quite like the look of the tritons and the vintage... Have any of the tritons ever been available on a bracelet?

Don't know, but there is a titanium bracelet in the works to fit the WUS forum special project Proteus, you'd have to do a little research to see if it will fit the stock Triton. Gunter and his staff are said to answers questions over the phone frequently. Like Roy's shop :rltrlt: Steinhart is a boutique operation where you can get some personal service. :thumbsup:

I've had a Sinn U1 and after hankering for a long time I was very disappointed. Oris are horrid, the bracelets pinch, the bezels feel cheap and I think a lot of people get the fact that they are heavy confused with genuine quality.

Ignore this guy except the Marine Master part :D

Yes I am pretty unique in my views on Oris :)

I've had a Sinn U1 and after hankering for a long time I was very disappointed. Oris are horrid, the bracelets pinch, the bezels feel cheap and I think a lot of people get the fact that they are heavy confused with genuine quality. I'v never been a fan of TAG Heuer so i haven't come into contact with many so I'm unqualified to comment.

DSC_0073.jpg

What was it that made you disappointed in the Sinn exactly?

A number of things, The clasp was incredibly stiff. The first time I showed it to my girlfriend she put her hand on it whilst it was on my wrist and got her finger very slightly behind the clasp lever and the watch came clean off. The bezel didn't line up properly and there was a degree of vertical play in it which made it feel very cheap. From a more subjective point of view I don't like 60 click bezels.

By all means get one second hand, or possible play with one - like Oris most people are more in praise of the brand than I - but I feel fairly sure if you held the U1 next to the Marine Master there would be no contest which is the high quality piece.

Also not all Sinn U1s are necessarily like mine, I think the quality control has dipped somewhat over the past few years, but buying mine new after saving for two years and it not being anything like the perfect quality product I was expecting left a sour taste. That said the U1 is a great looker and despite my experiences, when I see them on the various sales fora for £600 to £650 I am tempted.

Edited by Parabola