• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Nice Movement,Shame About The Face!

UGfan

Am I alone in wishing the supeer-accurate Bulova quartz movements-the Precisionist range-had been put inside more distinctively styled watches? Bulova watches were some of the most beautiful mass-produced models ever,IMO,but the current models are,again IMO,totally anonymous when they aren't downright ugly.

What do others think?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I alone in wishing the supeer-accurate Bulova quartz movements-the Precisionist range-had been put inside more distinctively styled watches? Bulova watches were some of the most beautiful mass-produced models ever,IMO,but the current models are,again IMO,totally anonymous when they aren't downright ugly.

What do others think?

I'm inclined to agree, I really like the idea of the Precisionists, but the name seems almost ironic when you look at the chunky cases they're using, if they went for something a bit more classic I think they'd fly off the shelves.

R

Have to agree too. I think the cases look as if they're made out of lego!

But this one's quite nice...

Edited by pg tips
sorry I know it makes a mess of the post but you are not allowed to insert images directly off retail sites, please read the forum rules

I'm afraid that whatever we think of that SS model, our tastes on this forum certainly run towards the classic, vintage (not overall, but generally). I think that young buyers with disposable income are currently attracted to the "the big bad a** monster" style watch, with overcluttered dial, huge "machined" Terminator style case and bracelet. As fugly as we think it is, if that's what the market demands, Bulova would be stoopid not to deliver.

The more I look at the Orient STI 2010 Series II, the more I think it's a nice, racing-inspired case and bracelet positively RUINED by a stupid "fuel gauge" marking of the reserve indicator. YMMV (pun intended).

Edited by David Spalding

The movement is tiny in comparison to the case so it is definately style over substance which is a bit dissapointing, if the watch had to be that big because the movement was big to produce the accuracy I think I would be happier with the idea.

That said I have to say I am still attracted by the "brand" (yeah I know it's really a Citizen), I love the super cool second hand and I agree with the other posters that the brown face/ leather and the equivalent black face/ leather strap versions are handsome and I am still tempted. I'm just waiting for the backlash from the purchase of the Rotary Aquaspeed to die down!

See, now I like the plain face on the Claremont. Clear and uncluttered. I've got my eye on a black faced one with SS bracelet because the one thing I hate with quartz watches is the second hand. So the sweeping second hand is appealing. That and not having to worry about setting it every time I want to wear it.

Frank

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just doing a bit of a search and ran upon this thread. I don't mind the style of most of the Precisionist models, but as has been said before, they are all really BIG. What is the smallest available? I've found the Claremont and tried it on. Listed as 44mm, but feels larger to me. I just can't see buying it.

As soon as they put this movement in a Marine Star or one of their other more classic designs, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Also, only 22, but can't stand the general direction of huge watches with cluttered faces.

See, now I like the plain face on the Claremont. Clear and uncluttered. I've got my eye on a black faced one with SS bracelet because the one thing I hate with quartz watches is the second hand. So the sweeping second hand is appealing. That and not having to worry about setting it every time I want to wear it.

Frank

If you want accuracy and no second hand buy an Aerospace......you get both! :thumbsup:

Frank

If you want accuracy and no second hand buy an Aerospace......you get both! :thumbsup:

Dave, if the second hand was missing I'd spend even more time looking at my watch as I'd be worried it had stopped.

Frank

Uprooted Essex native

Frank

Dave, if the second hand was missing I'd spend even more time looking at my watch as I'd be worried it had stopped.

Frank

Uprooted Essex native

Nah, I have two which have no second hands and you can always get the LCD display in the face to show seconds passing by if you want :wheelchair: just passing by, and by, and by..... :wink2:

Looks like you swapped white stiletto watching for cow tipping....much the same really :rofl: