• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Why Are Japanese Watches So Unpopular...

RejZoR

This must be a wind up

Nope, its an Auto - 7S26 cal.

Read the post ffs... :partytime:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol: :lol: good one.

I have quite a few watches from around the world,and i enjoy each and everyone of them,spread the love. :wub: :lol:

There has been quite a few incomings for you recently Sam hasn't there ??!! I hate to think what number your collection has got to now

In all honesty, I used to turn my nose up at Jap watches and buy practically only Swiss, then I saw the light and started broadening my horizons. Since have bought American and Japanesse.

Recently got my first Seiko back from Paul - I bought it in the HFH auction and got Paul to give it a polish and replace the crystal - It is keeping incredible time, considering it cost me £30 and made in 1989!!!

Edited by 86latour

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must be a wind up

Nope, its an Auto - 7S26 cal.

Read the post ffs... :partytime:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol: :lol: good one.

I have quite a few watches from around the world,and i enjoy each and everyone of them,spread the love. :wub: :lol:

There has been quite a few incomings for you recently Sam hasn't there ??!! I hate to think what number your collection has got to now

In all honesty, I used to turn my nose up at Jap watches and buy practically only Swiss, then I saw the light and started broadening my horizons. Since have bought American and Japanesse.

Recently got my first Seiko back from Paul - I bought it in the HFH auction and got Paul to give it a polish and replace the crystal - It is keeping incredible time, considering it cost me £30 and made in 1989!!!

Yes the postie certainly has been here a few times.

I've only got about 50,(40ish in ten months)some people on here have hundreds. :D

Edited by sam.

The reason i asked this here is because i was asking about automatic watches on some other forum and mentioned that i'm looking at Seiko's and how i admire fully mechanic watches, yet everyone there said that Japanese watches don't have any collector value. Now i'm not a collector, i bought the watch to wear it and wanted it to be 100% mechanic.

But i was astounded by that claim. ....

Those weren't "collectors" you were chatting up, but ignorant snobs.

I was actually a 100% Seiko owner until last year when I started buying some watches with ETA or ETA-clone movements (Shanghai 3L 7750-repro). I love the high beat rate of the O&W and Steinhart tickers I've got, but most all of my Seikos are now either collectibles (H558, worn by Schwarzenegger and Moore) or beauties (7A48 moonphase chrono), or a vintage early 80s 7009 (Seiko 5) model that Just Won't Quit. I've got a few others that are just darn good movements.

Vintage Seikos, Orients, Sea-Gulls aren't collectible? :bull*******:

I think the view that only Swiss watches are collectible is similar to those who insist that the only real dive watch is a Rolex or a Blancpain or an Omega. Completely ignoring other companies' innovations and advances in the dive watch market (Seiko, Orient, Tissot, many many more). Again, ignorance, or just healthy snobbery. I'd ignore it and follow your own WIS heart.

"Man invented time. Seiko perfected it." One instance in which marketing hype is relatively accurate.

Glad to see posting ... now post a pic!

I didn't realise they were unpopular amongst 'collectors', quite the contrary I thought ;-)

Maybe unpopular amongst some 'brand snobs' but not true watch enthusiasts who see each piece in it's own right for it's design, quality, history etc. irrespective of brand or country of origin.

I'm relatively new to this, but I've always lusted after the tags and omegas in shop windows without actually knowing anything about them at all.

I then first seriously started looking into watches around a year and a half ago during 5 months off work convalescing from a serious mountainbike injury. It's then I found this wonderful world of the wis and realised there's more to it than lusting after some ridiculously expensive (relatively speaking) piece in goldsmiths window (although there is nothing wrong with this and I still do it :-) )

My small humble 'collection' is all Japanese (seiko) as it stands and ranges from a sumo to a 33 year old UFO. Strangely enough I'm now considering my first Swiss piece, not because it's Swiss, just because I like it..

I think maybe the interest in the Japanese pieces for me stems from my interest in the older Japanese domestic market cars that I've enjoyed over the years, mk1/mk2 crx's, dc2 itr, r32 skyline etc etc, then again maybe it doesn't, I'm trying to justify it!

Anyway, to the OP, what a strange question to post in the 'Japanese forum'...?

:-)

Japanese watches are doubtless among the most popular in the world.

I think OP may have confused popularity with perceived status though...

If you're talking 'luxury item', then a Japanese watch may struggle to compete with a more expensive European rival, but then again that comparison makes about as much sense as comparing an affordable Nissan family saloon with a six-series BMW.

I heard on the Beeb last week that Michael Caine's usual car (he has a driver) is a "gray Lexus 300, darkened windows, but you wouldn't look twice at it." So I wouldn't use the car analogy too much. Some of the "luxury" marques from Japan rival other countries' equivalent models.

There are of course those (at least here in the states) who are die-hard BMW or Porsche fanatics, and won't consider a Japanese car on par, even when the performance numbers match or exceed. Now THAT is a good analogy to OP's question. There are those who sniff, "Acura NSX ... wannabe Ferrari, wouldn't drive it if you paid me."

There are of course those (at least here in the states) who are die-hard BMW or Porsche fanatics, and won't consider a Japanese car on par, even when the performance numbers match or exceed. Now THAT is a good analogy to OP's question. There are those who sniff, "Acura NSX ... wannabe Ferrari, wouldn't drive it if you paid me."

Ahh the NSX, one of my all time favourites... Wannabe Ferrari, no chance!

Ahh the NSX, one of my all time favourites... Wannabe Ferrari, no chance!

I think they developed the chassis with input from Ayrton Senna. Used to have a poster of it in red on my bedroom wall. :thumbsup:

I love all things Japanese. I have always driven Jap cars and used to collect old Toyota celicas. Had lots of them and quite a few Seiko watches...oh and I have always bought Panasonic TV's and cameras and stuff. Pioneer Hifi, Nissan cars, etc etc. Why?...Cos its always SO reliable stuff. I still have the first watch I ever got, a Seiko from the mid 1970's. Its an automatic and its been well and truely battered over the near 40 years. Never had it serviced...it just keeps going. Like one of my old Toyota Corollas, had it for 10 years and mistreated it (never serviced etc), 200.000 miles and still chugging away with the original exhaust (it was 16 years old by then)...can you tell me of any other car that had done 200,000 miles, was 16 years old and still had the original exhaust on it?

Japanese reliability is legend.

Edited by newwy

• 2 weeks later...

There is however one thing that's similar everywhere. Everyone mention Seiko calibers (mostly mechanical ones, automatic ones or hand winding) to be extremely durable with minimal or even no maintenance where Swiss counterparts are often mentioned as "fragile" and that they require regular maintenance to run well.

I understand your humor, but there is more than a grain of truth in your jest. I think this is because Japan really developed the inexpensive watch that was so economical it was disposable. By the time one model wore out or ceased to work, a newer watch with advanced features is available. It did not make sense to repair these watches. This is in contrast to the heritage of the Swiss watch which was costly to purchase and held dear as an heirloom. Of course these traditions have changed and today some Japanese watches rival the Swiss heirlooms while the Swiss have produced tons of disposable watches.

AaronM

I believe the Japanese adoption of Deming-style TQM resulted not only in low failure rate of new watches, but watches that proved reliable over time, even economical to maintain/repair, so that there are models by, e.g. Seiko, that are older than most of us and still running, as well as running accurately. This is a grand generalization, I know, but....

I would think some of the snobbery is that those Asian watches are considered "disposable." Collectors who amass collections of "disposable" ephemera aren't necessarily considered collectors of valuable goods. E.g. old Corgi toys. :think:

• 3 weeks later...

Any watch I like that keeps good time is good enough for me. I don’t see a watch as a status symbol Some people buy watches that impress other people, I buy watches that suit me.

Amen, Stan. :thumbup:

I own 11 watches, 10 are Seiko

I only own 3 watches........2 are Seiko......1 is an Accurist.. :blush: (A leaving present from work..) :thumbsup:

One of the Seikos is a Dive watch (7548-700B)..circa early 1980's......the only thing I've had done is change the batteries and straps...it keeps 'spot on' time to a second between battery changes....erm every 5 years or so....oh yeh....its spent over 500 hours underwater....

The other is a shameless copy of a Rolex.....also keeps superb time.....all I do is get the batteries changed......

In fairness....the Accurist has had a hard life....it has lived on my arm for over 20 years...every day at work....I have had the batteries changed and changed the strap/bracelet a couple of times..... its scratched to hell, but, it keeps superb time... :shocking:

Any watch I like that keeps good time is good enough for me. I don’t see a watch as a status symbol Some people buy watches that impress other people, I buy watches that suit me.

Amen, Stan. :thumbup:

I own 11 watches, 10 are Seiko

I only own 3 watches........2 are Seiko......1 is an Accurist.. :blush: (A leaving present from work..) :thumbsup:

One of the Seikos is a Dive watch (7548-700B)..circa early 1980's......the only thing I've had done is change the batteries and straps...it keeps 'spot on' time to a second between battery changes....erm every 5 years or so....oh yeh....its spent over 500 hours underwater....

The other is a shameless copy of a Rolex.....also keeps superb time.....all I do is get the batteries changed......

In fairness....the Accurist has had a hard life....it has lived on my arm for over 20 years...every day at work....I have had the batteries changed and changed the strap/bracelet a couple of times..... its scratched to hell, but, it keeps superb time... :shocking:

Nowt wrong with Accurist, many have Miyota movements.

If some people don't think Jap watches are collectable they should look at the prices some 60's and 70's Seikos, Orients and Citizens fetch!

i agree with the OP, i think its just because they make cheaper watches and are not seen as presitge. I mean the new seiko spring drives is a fantastic movement but if you worn one (not that this might matter to you) but the average person would just think its a £100 seiko. Whilst the cheapest breitling will set you back a grand, again not really a good think but its just how perceptions are. Especially in the UK i cant ever remember seeing a jeweller in town with a fancy seiko / citizen stand comparted to the efforts put into breitling, tag, omega etc

I'm new to this watch lark. I signed up because I wanted a 'good' watch ( I bought a Speedmaster by the way) but quickly became aware that the watch on my wrist at the time - a Seiko 5 - was more highly regarded than I at first thought. That pleased me, because I do like it, it was a bargain whatever the reason for purchasing it, and the info I have gleaned as a forum member has made me happier with its authenticity (believe it or not I thought it might have been a fake Seiko 5!).

I also quickly became aware that some Omega watches in my possession are not as well-regarded as I thought they would be.

I then started looking at just about everything that cropped up on here and 'in another place' and am staggered at the vast scope that watch collecting encompasses.

I liken it to a multi-make classic car club; everyone has their particular niche, but each and all are admired to some extent. Not quite sure where that leaves my Noddy alarm clock.

A good learning curve. I like learning curves.

Would it be at least partly true to say that the Japanes are bit like the Scots with their Whisky - they keep all the best stuff for themselves?

Certainly it wasn't until I joined forums such as this and started reading about watches that I learnt that makes such as Seiko and Citizen are actually very highly regarded by those watch enthusiasts who are really in the know - so I now find myself correcting friends when they "Oh, it's just a Seiko" or "Oh it's just a Citizen"!

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a Casio Men's WVM120J-1 Solar Atomic Resin Strap Watch from Amazon.com. It was $39.99 with free shipping. What a bargin for a solar, radio controlled time keeper. I just could not pass up that package of technology for that price. I don't intend to wear this watch as it is not my style. However, it will become a standard by which I adjust all my other far more expensive timekeepers. :man_in_love:

IMHO lots of people judge quality by price. The engineering effort to produce the WVM120J-1 was probably enormous compared to the Swiss efforts to tweek their watch movements. We luck out because of economies of scale, modern automated factories and modern materials that the price is so low.

AaronM