• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Krispy

Help, I'Ve Just Pulled My Stem Out!

Hello all,

I have a watch with a common Chinese movement in - when I pulled the crown out this evening to set the time, the stem came right out in my hand!

The movement still winds and runs but the time cannot be set. Is it an easy fix to reattach the stem?

I've never tried a repair but now seems like a good time to start. In this case it seems as if the stem just needs to be fastened to whatever it's normally fastened to, but I could be wrong!

I'm able to remove the movement but from there I'm lost. I don't want to go any further without a little bit of guidance and was hoping someone here may be able to help?

SNV82667.jpg

Sorry, I've no idea. I thought this post would be about Sexcetera being on the TV at this time of night.

I know, I know, I'll get my coat.

Hi

put the crown and stem back in and turn the small screw closest to where the stem enters the movement clockwise,

best of luck

wookie

More or less Wot Wookie said ^^^^^^

Normally the stem is made to be removed to allow the movement to be taken out of the case, so this happening is not a major issue. Just have a look at the stem before you try replacement to make sure there's no obvious damage. When you place the stem back into the movement, be gentle :lol: with it, don't force anything , it should go back in easily and seat down correctly. Then gently tighten the screw, again don't use force, everything should go smoothly, if it doesn't, you're not doing it right (like a lot of other things in life :rofl2: )

AND use the correct size driver when screwing - no force! I always wipe my stem with an oily rag before I re-insert [OMG the se*ual connotations :man_in_love: ] just to make the insertion smooth. Basically, a very small lube ! :lookaround:

Edited by mel

Wookie, Mel, Dusty, thank you all very much notworthy.gif

Much easier than I thought and it's worked a treat, slid in nicely this morning. What better way to start a Sunday.

Thanks again!

Wookie, Mel, Dusty, thank you all very much notworthy.gif

Much easier than I thought and it's worked a treat, slid in nicely this morning. What better way to start a Sunday.

Thanks again!

You can't beat a nice slide in on a Sunday morning! :jawdrop:

snv82667.jpg

This is the screw you need to turn good luck :thumbsup:

Ive had this before on the same movement watch, turned out the screw had snapped and just kept turning and turning

The screw is called the setting lever screw and it holds the stem in place hopefully you can see how it all works in the diagram below

the set lever its self has a pip on the end of it so when the set-lever screw is tightened this pip engages with a notch in the winding stem, and holds it in place, if the screw is tightened when the notch and pip are not lined up you can snap the set lever screw.

keylessworksdetail3.jpg

The screw is called the setting lever screw and it holds the stem in place hopefully you can see how it all works in the diagram below

the set lever its self has a pip on the end of it so when the set-lever screw is tightened this pip engages with a notch in the winding stem, and holds it in place, if the screw is tightened when the notch and pip are not lined up you can snap the set lever screw.

Thanks for the info Dusty. While it was all looking good I think I may have gone a bit gung-ho with it. Now, like bentley warned, the screw just turns and turns. Reckon I must have snapped something?

Is there any hope or is this movement now a candidate for the first one I'll take apart and try to learn with??

Thanks for the info Dusty. While it was all looking good I think I may have gone a bit gung-ho with it. Now, like bentley warned, the screw just turns and turns. Reckon I must have snapped something?

Is there any hope or is this movement now a candidate for the first one I'll take apart and try to learn with??

Well it will be A new set lever screw or may be a new set lever you may have snapped the set lever screw or stripped the thread on the screw or lever ! both jobs will require stripping down both sides of the movement :wallbash: GOOD LUCK

So, I'm sure these must be out there somewhere but are there any good step by step guides on how to dissemble/reassemble a movement??

Told you to be gentle - - Bad Boy! :lookaround: Mind, if it all works now :to_become_senile: :whistle:

Edited by mel

Hi

Are you sure the the screw hasn't just become fully unscrewed, this will allow the setting lever to come completely away and making the screw turn endlessly??

John :)