UK Watch Forum banner

Watches Not Dying Out In Films And On Tv

9K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  SEIKO7A38 
G
#1 ·
I was watching episode two of season (series) two of the remake of V the other day, and I noticed that nearly everyone in it was wearing a watch.

It appears to be the case in films too, and even on TV panel shows.

So, while people living in standard boring reality are all apparently using their phones to tell the time nowadays, it seems that at least on the screen watches are still in vogue.

I hope this will be sufficient to cultivate/rejuvenate a love of watches in the population at large, at least among those who are of a televisual or cinematic bent. :)

#2 ·
I have started noticing watches a lot on TV too. Even soaps, I noticed Phil Mitchel had one on the other day, I only caught a glance but it looked like a Rolex Sub. But thats my untrained eye so probably not.

#19 ·
Me too, I always spot them im films or TV programs, the wife gets fed up with me for constantly commenting on them when we are watching a film or TV program. Im realy sad that way :blink:

Phil Mitchel`s watch is a Rolex Sub BTW, (the wife told me :ph34r: )

#3 ·
It's a body language/gesture that is still instantly recognizable: holding up your wrist and reading the time. The same done with a phone doesn't work: is he looking at who called, or getting a Facespacenet update, or...?

I keep seeing the rather macho watches on the cops of THE WIRE and saying, "nice watch." No idea what they're wearing though.

#4 ·
Some of the time on TV it's product placement. I've seen the guys in top gear going out of their way to flash watches. Clearly in some movies such as Bond movies there is some serious advertising going on not just for watches but cars, phones etc. Bond will be driving a Nissan Micra next if the price is right.

#6 ·
Can anyone help me out with this?

In the film "High heels and low lifes" Minnie Driver wears a divers watch, I think it has what I have seen the site refere to as a Pepsi bessel. I don't suppose anyone knows what watch it is do they?

I have had no luck with Google so I may have to go and watch it again, it's driving me mad.

#10 ·
It's sometimes the actor's own watch. Since we're on the subject, and it's about time this thread wandered wildly off topic, any ideas about:

1. Matte LeBlank (Joey's) watch in 'episodes' on the BBC (warming up and 2nd episode quite funny)

2. The Yakuza gangster's watch in 'Predators' (a dreadful movie some friends tortured me with the other day, the watch was easily the best bit)

'Inception' was one long watch ad, particularly in Imax!

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm glad there are still some watches being shown on TV and film. I think when you wear a smart outfit like a suit, a nice watch really adds to the look. For men, especially, a watch gives a chance to flaunt a little in the same way women use jewellery.

I remember reading this article last year from the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11634105) about wristwatches eventually dying out. In a practical sense, it may be easier to use a mobile phone (fewer things to have on your person), but who said life always had to be practical? :thumbsup:

G
#22 ·
OK, balls to this...

I'm going to write to the people at the tv company who made V, and tell them that I simply have to know what kind of watch Kyle Hobbes is wearing. ...Straight to the source! Telly ho! :cowboy:

#31 ·
Thing about a film production watch, used in any kind of action scenes or stunt work, it had better be built like a tank, or cheap so that you can buy a box of them (hero model, background, stunt versions). Heck, they might even make a casting and do rubber ones for the stuntpersons, so it helps if it's easy to paint to match.

G
#34 ·
That Momentum Shadow II diver seems to be pretty robust and relatively cheap (at around 100 pounds) so I suppose that's going to count in its favour for TV use. There is one scene where Kyle Hobbes pulls out a concealed explosive charge from it though, so I guess the props department had to mod the bejesus out of it for that (as I remember he pulls on the crown and a thin flexible cylinder of plastic explosive slides out).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.