• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Its My Birthday - Will I Ever Find My Birth Watch

sparky the cat

Hi guys

Its my birthday and got me thinking about birth watches. Needs to be an Omega (got a certain gravitas- maybe shallow, but so am I). Stainless case with black dial and gold markers and hands and on a black leather - oh and the dressy sort!!

So that’s mine - what is yours even if its never been manufactured. Or do you already have it?

Oh - and needs to be 1956 - yes I am that old

Edited by sparky the cat

happy birthday sparky!

I have watches in my collection that are around 1974, but not the ones i can date are exactly spot on. I like to think that one of the others will land on that year. but i'll never know

If i could afford a Submariner then 1974 would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise a Heuer would be my choice, as they made some of the best watches for that era. - Can't fault your choice for the fifties either, very classy

Hi guys

Its my birthday and got me thinking about birth watches. Needs to be an Omega (got a certain gravitas- maybe shallow, but so am I). Stainless case with black dial and gold markers and hands and on a black leather - oh and the dressy sort!!

So that’s mine - what is yours even if its never been manufactured. Or do you already have it?

Oh - and needs to be 1956 - yes I am that old

Whippersnapper :ph34r: I was smoking, drinking and loose women by then - well (really) I'd stopped going to teh Saturday morning picture club at the ABC Cinemas. :rofl: Happy Birthday!

Thanks for greetings my friends.

Nice selection so far

Off to work now -same as on my birthday - so no one put a watch on the boards whilst I'm away.

Off to work - mustn't grumble though in these hard times.

What the heck - I'm in my late 50's now and grumbling part of the contract and a right (GRUMBY OL' MEN HERE I COME).

George

My search for the same thing a few years got me a 1957 Omega...

BOACOmega5.jpg

but then came

2007-10-21LonginesWrist.jpg

A '57 Longines

2007-09-30BulovaBlack3.jpg

A '57 Bulova

Enicar1CondorAdriaStrap.jpg

A '57 Enicar Ultrasonic

and

2008-05-23VanHorn1.jpg

which can only be dated to circa 1957.

I've also got a couple of Ruskies which purport to be 57'ers but I now believe them to be either fakes or frankens at least.

I also collect either limited editions or even numbered pieces #57

Do you think I'm fixated on the year of my birth :whistle:

(...and I really need to capture better pics of them)

Happy birthday Sparky!!

The closest watch to 1956, i can pin point the date to,is a 57 Rolex Oyster Royal.

My birth year watch was bought off Gaz recently,its a gold capped Omega Seamaster automatic 24J from 1970,yes i know,

i'm barely out of nappies. :P :)

It helps if you can find a watch complete with it`s original dated guarantee cool.gif

Aviation (supplied by Louis Newmark Croydon), unjeweled Pin-pallet 1954.

AvaitionDSC_0003.jpg

Mach - Any chance of letting that go, as I was 2 days old when this watch was sold - if I'm reading the date correctly??

I`m really sorry but it`s rare to find a watch with it`s original box, papers & by looks of it strap plus Aviation was sister brand of the Services Watch Co., Ltd., (who were based at the same address) so it is of special interest to me :wink2:

BTW the guarantee is dated 6th November 1954, I was was 71/2 weeks old :dummyspit: :D

You could try posting in the Wanted Forum for this Benrus which I sold last year (sorry I can`t remember who bought it :ph34r: ) the date on the inscription is December 1954 so not too long after your Birthday :wink2:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Well Mach...

Your 7 weeks older than me and at least that much wiser. I am sure you can appreciate that watch a lot more than I could because of our backgrounds - not necessarily appreciate A watch better, just that one!

Thanx for that link - you really ruined my day! You sold that watch on the 8th of October and I joined on the 17th! Gawd... these are the stories of my life!

No, Mach... really - thanx for your time.

That would be so close to my choice, and I'm only a couple of years out as well. My ideal would have pointy hands (not sure what the correct term is), indices rather than numbers, no day or date display, and I wouldn't necessarily hold out for gold hands and markers.

It helps if you can find a watch complete with it`s original dated guarantee cool.gif

You could try posting in the Wanted Forum for this Benrus which I sold last year (sorry I can`t remember who bought it ph34r.gif ) the date on the inscription is December 1954 so not too long after your Birthday wink2.gif

Excuse me for jacking the thread for a few...

Hey Mach... can you please tell me how you linked to the thread and titled it that way?? Thanx - Robert

You could try posting in the Wanted Forum for this Benrus which I sold last year (sorry I can`t remember who bought it ph34r.gif ) the date on the inscription is December 1954 so not too long after your Birthday wink2.gif

Excuse me for jacking the thread for a few...

Hey Mach... can you please tell me how you linked to the thread and titled it that way?? Thanx - Robert

At the top of your computer`s screen is the address for the page you`re viewing in the case of the Benrus it`s http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59125&st=0&p=599516&#entry599516 copy it then when you open `ADD REPLAY` press the` Insert link` tab to the right of the :) & paste the address in the URL box you then replace the `My Link` with the title you prefer in this case `Benrus` and press `Insert Link`, I hope this makes sense :wink2:

At the top of your computer`s screen is the address for the page you`re viewing in the case of the Benrus it`s http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59125&st=0&p=599516&#entry599516 copy it then when you open `ADD REPLAY` press the` Insert link` tab to the right of the :) & paste the address in the URL box you then replace the `My Link` with the title you prefer in this case `Benrus` and press `Insert Link`, I hope this makes sense :wink2:

:oops: I`ve just noticed I should have put "open `ADD REPLY`" not `REPLAY` :blush:

Why is it you don`t see these mistakes until it`s too late to edit them?:huh: :rolleyes:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

At the top of your computer`s screen is the address for the page you`re viewing in the case of the Benrus it`s http://www.thewatchf...16&#entry599516 copy it then when you open `ADD REPLAY` press the` Insert link` tab to the right of the smile.gif & paste the address in the URL box you then replace the `My Link` with the title you prefer in this case `Benrus` and press `Insert Link`, I hope this makes sense wink2.gif

oops.gif I`ve just noticed I should have put "open `ADD REPLY`" not `REPLAY` blush.gif

Why is it you don`t see these mistakes until it`s too late to edit them?huh.gifrolleyes.gif

Mach - you know, I didn't even notice the typo - thank you!