• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
SEIKO7A38

The Most Expensive 7Axx On Ebay So Far ?

You've sometimes got to marvel at the ridiculous prices asked by some eBay sellers. :rolleyes:

One must assume they are either suffering from delusion, or a total lack of knowledge of current market values. :duh:

That, or they've got a lot of cheek. :whistle:

This cropped up in one of my saved eBay favourite searches overnight:

RAREST Seiko Sports 100 Titanium Chrono 1st in world

Made in 1985 cost nearly $1k 1st anolog Quartz Chrono

7A28-7060-WrongBracelet-eBay-Feb-2011.jpg

It's a black-coated Titanium 7A28-7060, which also sold in the USA as the 7A28-7069* ....

fitted with an incorrect aftermarket black mesh bracelet, presumably of recent manufacture. :thumbsdown:

The seller's description is best described as very enthusiatic, and goes on an on ....

Peerless--and of historical significance.

High-end quartz-controlled chronographs hold a historical significance in horology.

In 1983, SEIKO introduced Cal. 7Ax8--the world's first analogue display quartz chronograph, pre-dating both Jaeger-LeCoultre/IWC Cal. 631 and Piguet Cal 1270/1 Rattrapante. This is the finest example I have seen. One owner watch--that sold for nearly $1000 in 1985!

I have seen only one other for sale--on a collector site and it sold within 1 hour.

The 7Ax8 mechanism is fully-jewelled (15), with all-metal gears (no plastic parts) and a calibration pot that allows for simple regulation by the user.

Four independent step motors-- 1 provided for each indicating function.

Despite all the traditional mechanical look and feel, the timekeeping is quartz-accurate.

Indeed, the 7Ax8 series is among the finest quartz chronograph ever produced by SEIKO or any other manufacture and one of the rarest and most expensive made by Seiko.

The Quartz Chronograph 7A28-7060 TITANIUM on was one of SEIKOs most expensive models in the mid-80s and retailed for $850 at the time. This was a very limited model in production numbers. The very first analog. chrono with a beautiful--clean and stunning design.

Black with gold metal elements. The dial is virging--100% untouched--tritium hands ave some degradation consistent with age, truly marvelous watch.

This, understandably, makes it one of the rarest 7A28s SEIKO used a special Titanium carbide/titanium alloy composite (NSB), which was copied by later Watches.

SPECIFICATIONS

MOVEMENT: Quartz Chronograph Cal. 7A28, 15 Jewels, 4 Independent step motors, Elapse time to 0.05 sec accuracy, Split-Second

CASE: NSB base TITANIUM (diameter: 39 mm w/o crown, lug-width: 20 mm) with stainless steel back.

WATER RESISTANCE: 100 m

BRACELET:Is only thing not original--heaviest guage black mesh with deploymant buckle--extra links provided.

1 year warranty included for repairs and labor from normal use ....

And the asking price ? :huh:

Opening bid price $1995 or 'Buy-it-Now' for $2995 !! :jawdrop:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Much of what the seller has written is true, and the watch did feature briefly in one of Seiko's 1983 TV adverts.

See:

But the original selling price of 'nearly $1K' he quotes is wide of the mark. :naughty:

See: http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=1&id=1221562390

Original cost of a Seiko Titanium 7a28-7069 Sports 100 Chronograph made 1983

Hi does anyone know the Original cost of a Seiko Titanium 7a28-7069 Sports 100 Chronograph made 1983? Thanks Anthony

This black titanium watch had a suggested retail selling price of $595.00 in the 1983 catalogue.

It was the second highest price for a wristwatch in that year's catalogue.

49ronnie

One must assume they are either suffering from delusion, or a total lack of knowledge of current market values. :duh:

Sadly, it seems eBay is where market values are set :thumbsdown:

Only in the real world. :wink:

Here's one (on the correct original bracelet, but not clasp) offered on the old SCWF a year ago for $250:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264297735/FS-+SEIKO+Chronograph+7A28-7060+%93BLACK+Titanium%94+%96+Very++RARE+7A28+($250)

In fact, if you read the current eBay seller's description, and compare it to that SCTP advert :read:

.... it would appear that the eBay seller has copied chunks of text from that advert, verbatim. :nono:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

What makes the current eBay seller's asking price more laughable (or ironic) is this reply from that SCWF thread:

This black titanium watch had a suggested retail selling price of $595.00 in the 1983 catalogue.

It was the second highest price for a wristwatch in that year's catalogue.

49ronnie

Recognise the 'signature' ? :huh:

The poster, Ron Canda, uses exactly the same 'handle' on eBay. :wink:

Here's a quote from his website:

We are a third generation family owned business in the St. Louis area. We have a large selection of new Seiko and Pulsar watches, clocks and jewelry. We specialize in watch repair, jewelry repair and metal hand engraving.

Also, we can either restore, repair, or supply discontinued genuine case and band parts for your Seiko and Lassale watches. This is possible because Ray Canda, Inc., has been a United States Authorized Seiko watch store for over 37 years. We have in stock over 20,000 new Seiko, Lassale, and Pulsar watch cases for immediate delivery. We can supply case and watch band parts that other supply companies cannot offer.

As '49Ronnie' Ron Canda sells mostly Seiko sample cases on eBay. I've bought a couple (7A38's) from him myself. :thumbsup:

Over the last year, I've seen him list maybe 3 or 4 7A28-7060 Black Titanium sample cases, complete with dial/hands, etc.

From memory, most of them sold around the $50-$100 mark.

So, for the cost of a 'beater' 7A28 donor, and a black mesh bracelet, I could have built one myself, somewhat cheaper. :rolleyes:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

As '49Ronnie' Ron Canda sells mostly Seiko sample cases on eBay. I've bought a couple (7A38's) from him myself. :thumbsup:

Over the last year, I've seen him list maybe 3 or 4 7A28-7060 Black Titanium sample cases, complete with dial/hands, etc.

From memory, most of them sold around the $50-$100 mark ....

But my memory does fail me (slightly) on occasion. :blush:

The 7A28-706x Titanium sample cases that Ron Canda has been selling were 7A28-7069's.

The only difference being the [sample] and the last digit of the case-back stampings.

And he sold one of these fairly recently, too, at the end of January, 2011. :rolleyes:

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Vintage-Seiko-SAMPLE-Titanium-Chrono-Case-7A28-7069-/160536664452?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2560bb1984#ht_1598wt_934

New Vintage Seiko SAMPLE Titanium Chrono Case 7A28-7069

7A28-7069-SampleCase-eBay-Jan2011-1.jpg

7A28-7069-SampleCase-eBay-Jan2011-2.jpg

In my experience, Ron's slightly grainy photos don't do his items justice. This one sold for just $46.79 :cray:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

You've sometimes got to marvel at the ridiculous prices asked by some eBay sellers. :rolleyes:

Yup. Reality Check definately needed. :lookaround: I've just noticed the seller's location. :eek:

Item location: Beverly Hills, California, United States

Too many 'high rollers' with more money than sense, obviously. :rolleyes:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

That eBay auction listing just ended a minute ago: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360343021305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6161wt_1059 - No bids were placed. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, no-one was daft or blind drunk enough - nor suffered an involuntary rush of blood to their bidding finger. :)

That eBay auction listing just ended a minute ago: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360343021305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6161wt_1059 - No bids were placed. :rolleyes:

It's back !! :eek:

The eBay seller has re-listed it overnight, with a reduced opening bid price of 'only' $995 :rolleyes: and a 'Buy-it-Now' of a mere $1295. :rofl2:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Buy-It-Now back up to $1895 :shocking:

Yes, there's definately something screwy going on here. Skip. :thumbsdown:

In fact the seller's got it listed on eBay twice at the moment. :rolleyes:

Existing item # 360346217043, which still has 1 day 10 hours left to run, and a new 10-day listing, item # 360348394804.

Both now have the same opening bid price of $1295 and a 'Buy-it-Now' of $1895 - as you correctly wrote. :wink:

Seller's obviously totally incompetent as well as extremely deluded. :duh:

PS - I messaged him the item # of that other 7A28-7069 on eBay. :naughty: The reply I got back was unprintable !! :censored:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Here's one (on the correct original bracelet, but not clasp) offered on the old SCWF a year ago for $250:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264297735/FS-+SEIKO+Chronograph+7A28-7060+%93BLACK+Titanium%94+%96+Very++RARE+7A28+($250)

It seems you may well be right. :lookaround:

Here's another tidier example of a 7A38-7069 on full correct original bracelet, whose eBay auction ended last night.

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=170609006079&si=WoHGSSMkUbRIzCQOk8w4NrR6qmk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1076

Early Seiko Black Titanium Chronograph model 7A28-7069

7A38-7069.jpg

Correctly and far more honestly described:

This item for auction is an early Seiko quartz chronograph wristwatch. It is one of the first Seiko analog chronographs made by Seiko I was told. It is a black titanium case and bracelet with stainless steel case back and buckle. It is in like very good condition and although it had been sitting for many years, it took right off and is keeping excellent time and it all functions. It has a full length bracelet. It is a case reference 7A28-7069 AO and 3N8892. The dial reads Seiko Quartz Chronograph Titanium Sports 100. It is a neat watch and probably collectable. It measures approx. 38mm in diameter. Selling in AS-IS condition as described above.

Sold for $305.01 US - approximately £187.53 :thumbsup:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Fortunately, no-one was daft or blind drunk enough - nor suffered an involuntary rush of blood to their bidding finger. :)

It's back again. :groan:

See eBay item # 360358142062

This time, with an opening bid price of only $799.00 US :rofl2: or Buy-it-Now of $1,299.00 US. :rolleyes:

I see our ever-enthusiastic US eBay seller has continued to re-list this iffy 7A28-7069 ....

although his price has gradually come down in stages, it's still 'well out of the ball-park'.

In fact, today, I noticed that he's actually got it currently listed on eBay FOUR times ! :rolleyes:

Item # 360411983494 - opening bid price $599 or Buy-it-Now for $799

Item # 360412000821 - opening bid price $799 or Buy-it-Now for $999

Item # 360414055780 - opening bid price $599 or Buy-it-Now for $799 and

Item # 360414055244 - opening bid price $599 or Buy-it-Now for $799.

Incompetent, or what ? :groan:

Over the last year, I've seen him list maybe 3 or 4 7A28-7069 Black Titanium sample cases, complete with dial/hands, etc.

From memory, most of them sold around the $50-$100 mark.

So, for the cost of a 'beater' 7A28 donor, and a black mesh bracelet, I could have built one myself, somewhat cheaper. :rolleyes:

Thought I'd give these couple of recent eBay auctions a mention.

Indeed '49Ronnie' knocked out yet another 7A28-7069 Black Titanium sample case last week.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160688949894 - sold for $77.50 (after 20 bids) on 2nd December.

Around the same time, another US seller listed another Black Titanium 7A28-706x, but with a -7060 caseback.

It appeared to be in nice condition; on the original bracelet, but his two small listing photos didn't do him any favours.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260906814383 - sold for $266.00 (approx. £170), after 17 bids, around 8:00pm yesterday.

I would have mentioned it earlier, but I was busy writing up my rant about Cousins in the Tinkerers Corner section. :mad:

Both of which make a complete mockery of our friend cato90025's much-reduced prices, shown in the previous post. :rolleyes:

Edited by SEIKO7A38

I think i must be missing something on the buying or selling of watches, ive noticed twice now on two auction shows on tv omegas going for around the £60-70 mark one was gold plated and a auto from the 70's that was priced at £70 and was bought for that price but when you look on ebay they are like £300- up i need to get to a auction asap :D sorry this is not about seiko's but i think that some ebayers are off there heads on there prices :(