• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Guest neil

Bought Some Watches Today

Guest neil

Sometimes you go out and get nothing. sad.gif

Today I went out and couldn't stop buying. biggrin.gif

Got some reasonable stuff: cool.gif

Omega Geneve for me and another ladies Gucci for my wife (from a friend, who is hopefully bring me a couple of Rolexes down next week)

Jaeger Le Coultre military pocket watch

9ct Smiths Deluxe (presentation watch from EMI in 1962)

A bloke I know bought me down a box of old watches to look through and I found the following:

Chateau divers

Certina Waterking

Nivada

Oris

Watches of Switzerland "Seafarer"

Enicar

and a nice little sub seconds military type.

Not cheap but all good. cool.gif

I'll take some pics if anyones interested.

Always interested Neil - although I don't have much in the way of vintage watches I find them much more interesting to see than contemporary ones.

John

Well I suppose if there is a ready market why not.

There seem to be a lot of watch buffs out there, and with online outlets such as ebay, with no overheads, profit margins could be very tempting.

I have a friend who makes quite a good living from ebay doing very much what Neil is.

Buying nik-naks at car boot sales and making a lot of dough.

Good luck to them.

Fine by me as long as their profit is declared as income.

Why should I have to pay taxes on watch sales and most Ebay sellers pay nothing and make more money than me ?

It's wrong. nono.gif

It is getting harder and harder to make a living doing this because there are new sites cropping up every day. The difference is these other sellers have proper jobs and do not have to rely on their internet sales. No tax not Vat for them so why do I have to pay it ?

It will take time but Ebay sellers will be targeted eventually.

It is easy to see who the dealers are.

It's not a hobby when your making a profit and selling hundreds of items a year.

So I suppose ebay could be considered the last natural un-tapped resource for the inland revenue.

Gosh when you think about it, it would be like striking oil for them laugh.gif

Guest neil

Roy

I am self employed and always declare all my income with a bit for ebay as well to keep them happy if its any of your business.

I am a watch collector and was collecting them when you were probably still a schoolboy.

I feel I have done my bit to input some chat and interest to your forum but I'm not going to hang around and be the target for your hobby horse.

I would add I post on half a dozen other forums and have never encountered any ill feeling.

Especially from the forum owner. sad.gif

You are quite right Neil it is none of my business. I just feel that these "look what I bought today" threads are turning into "make me an offer for these" threads. If I am wrong and these watches that you bought yesterday are not for sale and you are keeping them then I apologise. However if you are showing them just to get people interested in buying them then this is wrong.

If you read the thread then my comment was that you are a dealer, which was tongue in cheek anyway, which you have always denied.

The Ebay and taxes comments were aimed at Ebay sellers, who do not declare their income.

Curious how it works when we loose money on our recreational pasttimes. Is this loss offsetable against the taxes paid as PAYE?

That would be good. My guess is that it is a one way street sad.gif

That's different David,

I was talking about dealers who sell hundreds of items , not the general public who just sell things that they are bored with. wink.gif

Guest neil

Roy

If you didn't like my boot sale reports you could have just said so.

It's your forum, you do what you want.

I thought my witterings gave a bit of interest but obviously I was wrong.

I apologise for causing you offence.

I apologise too Neil if you think I was singling you out.

I do not mind you or anyone showing their new watches, I do mind however if threads turn into "look what I have for sale".

I'm sure you and everyone else knows what I am talking about and I do not want to make a big thing out of this. wink.gif

I can understand your viewpoint Roy, selling watches is your business, I don't really care about people flogging 100's of watches on Ebay but I would if I was you. I read Neil's posts with interest, I look forward to them, where does he find these watches ohmy.gif

Personally I don't think he has been "pitching" his wares, after all, where is going to get a better price, here or on ebay? wink.gif

Neil, if you are a dealer can you give me a vat invoice for the Nappey laugh.gif

I can certainly see why Roy is pissed off. If I was him I would have steam blowing from my ears and my lip would be sore from biting it sometimes.

I enjoy reading about Neil's finds too and I don't think he uses the forum to pitch his wares.

There- thats another pointless contribution from me blink.gif .

biggrin.gif I don,t make many contributions to the forums but support Roys unique watches as much as I can. I enjoy immensely the contributions and knowledge and subsequent debate that in particular Neil and the other forum members evoke. Most of all I enjoy the new watch finds that Foggy and Neil make at the boot sales as I would never be able to get up earlier enough to do that. punk.gif

I am all at sea with this website. Re the Seafarer bought from a car boot sale. Did you see the post about my stolen Seafarer? Nicked from my flat in Manchuria Rd Wandsworth in aqbout March 04. Would love to see pictures. What are they worth nowadays if ever I saw one in a London jewejjers that sells 'Pre-owned' watches??