• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
rgp

Eta 2836-2 V Eta 2878

Hi folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Mondaine automatic.

Two variations are available; one with an ETA 2836-2 and the other the ETA 2878.

Problem is that I've Googled my fingers off all weekend and cannot find any information whatsoever regarding the 2878. Even ETA at https://secure.eta.c...ndex=2&tabid=28 gives me this when I do a search for the 2878.

No technical documents are currently available for the chosen caliber or the chosen caliber does not exist.

Currently, $500 is a lot of cash for me and I just have to spend wisely. I'd like to get some expert opinions or personal experiences regarding these two movements. I.E. Given identical scenarios, which movement would you choose and why???

Here's about all I could find and it's pretty useless for a novice:

http://www.ranfft.de...&2uswk&ETA_2878

http://www.ranfft.de...uswk&ETA_2836_2

I'll really, really appreciate your advice!!!

Bob

I found the watch movement 2878 and it,s very reliable so no problem with that, beats at 28800A/H and has a power reserve of 44hrs and used in good quality watches, hope this helps.

Edited by dombox40

Both will be fine ETA tend to make good solid movements so just go for whitch ever watch you like the look of

I guess I'm wondering why apparently the 2878 isn't any longer produced? Seems since it's so close in specs. to the 2836-2, that they must have had a reason.

Service problems?

More costly to produce?

I'm also concerned about future parts availability.

I simply cannot figure out why Mondaine would introduce a new watch with what is apparently a discontinued movement? Seems like somethin' stinks, but I do prefer the watch with the 2878 since it's sapphire. Decisions, decisions! rolleyes.gif

2836-2 is easyer to get parts to, here in Norway for all i know. I work with horolog and fourintiur so sell parts to eta almost everyday:P hehe

saphir is defo a good thing:P

Good luck, both good and nice watches=)

Edited by smaylen

If you're ever speaking to an ETA representative around the water cooler, see what, if anything, they can add. Gee, Norway!!! Ain't this new fangled Internet amazing!!! thumbsup.gif

a bit :offtopic2: this but what are the thoughts on selita movements as opposed to eta?

would i be right in thinking that some oris movements are modified selita?

Not a clue, but maybe we can get some expert advice from some of the pro's. I'd imagine there's some awfully skilled watchmakers around here someplace!!! whistling.gif

ETA 2836-2

Features

automatic

sweep second

day: quickset, 2 languages

date: quickset

hack feature

Data

11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm

H= 5.1mm (H= 5.2mm with ball bearing)

17/21/25 jewels

f = 28800 A/h

power reserve 40h

ETA 2878

Features

automatic

sweep second

day: quickset, 2 languages

date: quickset

optional hack feature

Data

11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm

H= 5.6mm

17/21/25 jewels

f = 28800 A/h

power reserve 44h

Edited by mrteatime

If you're ever speaking to an ETA representative around the water cooler, see what, if anything, they can add. Gee, Norway!!! Ain't this new fangled Internet amazing!!! thumbsup.gif

juppsi^^

Do photos help you spot any major differences? They're pretty confusing to a novice such as I... rolleyes.gif

ETA 2878

ETA_2878-1.jpg

ETA_2878-2.jpg

ETA 2836-2

ETA_2836_2-2.jpg

ETA_2836_2-3.jpg

apart from the reserve on the 78 being slightly more, its the depth of the movts, and the hieght difference.......so performance wise thay aint gonna be that far apart....by the looks of it, they can both have the same amount of jewels too...

tbh, theres virtually no difference apart from the size case that either of them are going into.....so unles your an analWis :D and the gear teeth and flux capacitor of the dodaad is correctly cheesecaked and cream buned, then i wouldnt worry about it...

go for the watch that you like the look of....and dont worry to much about whats inside....

:thumbsup:

apart from the reserve on the 78 being slightly more, its the depth of the movts, and the hieght difference.......so performance wise thay aint gonna be that far apart....by the looks of it, they can both have the same amount of jewels too...

tbh, theres virtually no difference apart from the size case that either of them are going into.....so unles your an analWis :D and the gear teeth and flux capacitor of the dodaad is correctly cheesecaked and cream buned, then i wouldnt worry about it...

go for the watch that you like the look of....and dont worry to much about whats inside....

:thumbsup:

HERE HERE, don't worry too much about the movements both will be good !! Just get the watch you like the look of :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Mondaine automatic.

Two variations are available; one with an ETA 2836-2 and the other the ETA 2878.

Problem is that I've Googled my fingers off all weekend and cannot find any information whatsoever regarding the 2878. Even ETA at https://secure.eta.c...ndex=2&tabid=28 gives me this when I do a search for the 2878.

No technical documents are currently available for the chosen caliber or the chosen caliber does not exist.

Currently, $500 is a lot of cash for me and I just have to spend wisely. I'd like to get some expert opinions or personal experiences regarding these two movements. I.E. Given identical scenarios, which movement would you choose and why???

Here's about all I could find and it's pretty useless for a novice:

http://www.ranfft.de...&2uswk&ETA_2878

http://www.ranfft.de...uswk&ETA_2836_2

I'll really, really appreciate your advice!!!

Bob

Why would you want one with da obsolete movement and da limited future parts stream?

sm iiH!

Excellent point, Dusty! The parts thing was really one of my main concerns. Thanks for clarifying; particularly regarding the interchangeability! You da man!! thumbsup.gif