• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My New Omega Speedmaster Professional

My dream watch was for a long time an Omega Speedmaster Professional.

I got it the last week with box and papers in near mint condition.

DSC02012.jpg

A very beautiful watch, very classy and loaded with history and I didnt fell in love with it :crybaby:

It left me cold!!!

Why oh why ?

It looked so tiny and small.

I had to measure it to be sure, yep 42, it is simply too small for me.

Winding it was another disapointment, the stupid **** is not comfortable to wind at all.

I wore it for 3 days straight hoping it will grow on me but nothingt :furious:

The probelm is with me and not with the watch we simply dont work well together.

I guess I need to buy bigger watches and preferably with Auto movement.

Will probably sell or trade it.

Oh well I tried.

Guest Om_nom_nom_Watches!

"Never meet your heroes."

...Oh well, at least they probably have a strong market for resale, so I expect you'll get at least what you paid for it when you sell it on.

Such a shame, these are quality machines too!

Is 42mm the full size or the reduced?

Never mind, can't imagine you'll lose a great deal of cash if you bought second hand. Stick it in the trade corner and see what fate brings. Might get a nice Monaco or something in exchange, or maybe a full size (44mm) planet ocean - seem to be similar prices when I look at second hand

I have a Speedy, and you're right, it's a bit of a pain to wind (crown too recessed really) and it's not huge (although large for an old design, I guess).

But...

Give it a while. I think you'll grow to like it. It's a lovely watch and wears really well and, unless you've got a particularly large wrist, it's not that big but that's a plus, imho. I think the size is a pretty good compromise and allows me to wear it in all sorts of situations - casual (because it's cool) and business under a shirt cuff and suit (because it's pretty classy and *not too big*). It looks good on metal, on black leather, on rally, on brown ...and on NATO/Zulu. A 100% all rounder.

Just my 2p. :D

Such a shame, these are quality machines too!

Is 42mm the full size or the reduced?

Full size is 42, the reduced is 39mm

The best way to wind a Speedmaster is to run your index finger up and down behind the winder.

If it isn't big enough you must have seriously big wrists. :lookaround:

Have a faily big wrist but not huge I simply love big watches and apperently this one is just too small.

Give it a while. I think you'll grow to like it.Just my 2p. :D

Maybe it will if I will carry it long enough and not sell or trade it.

Edited by goodguy

Size doesn't matter. I can understand if one's wrists are big as a ham hock, but it's not the watch's fault if it's not ginormous like contemporaries (that 55mm one in another thread).

Sometimes a modest sized watch has the neatest looks and impact. Give it some time. ;)

I hate em too. My first one left me cold and I sold it. damn that was when the old GF was living with me I think I have boobie pics of her, lol I know I do.

Anyway..............

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32159

My thread of disappointment in the Speedy.

Sigh, now I have replaced the vintage one, bought the 40th anni one, and two new ones one on loan to Spanish gal. I moved too soon on my disposal of the very first one

• 2 weeks later...

I agree many watches are just stupidly outsize these days - I have the Speedmaster auto and it is smaller still, and fits a nice gap between 'dress' and 'sport' watch. I find myself wearing it for days at a time, which is a good sign as sometimes I change watch 3 times/day!

My limited experience with, um, one watch with an end piece that extends the first link out (vice the end piece having a notch that the bracelet's link fits INTO) is that they make the watch "feel" bigger, unless the lugs & end piece are designed to fit comfortably. This Chenevard felt like the proverbial Geiger counter on my wrist until I put it on leather and Zulu-style bands.

20100711-2782_chenevard_ohmss_ring_800.jpg

I know some brands/models do this (Rolex DSSD?), I think it's a mistake unless it's a smaller watch case

The watch is sold and I dont miss it at all.

I blame myself only, should have done my homework.

I saw the reduced Speedy 2 days ago and was shocked how small it is.

Its tiny but to each his own.

Oh and just for the record I dont like huge watches either.

My size is 43-45

I do have a Rolex Sub and while it is 40 it has a clean face so it doesnt look so small.

A chrono needs to be bigger so the dials will not look too tiny.