• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

£500 To Spend Need Help :P

Hi everyone,

This is a first post by me having looked at loads of threads on here I'm still a bit lost to be honest.

Due to an insurance payout I've now got £500 to spend on a watch but to be honest having never had that amount to spend before (cheaper seikos, pulsars, swatches etc in the past)I've really got no idea what I'm doing and don't want to be ripped off by silly high street pricing. I've always loved watches and have a reasonable collection of cheaper ones and although we're not talking thousands here to me £500 is a lot of money to not spend wisely....

So .....

HELP PLEASE

To give you an idea of the style of watches I like currently I'm looking at these which are around my budget price:

Hamilton X-Wind

H77616533.jpg

Locman Montecristo

montecristo_051000bkfor0gok_big.jpg

Welder K31

Welder-Watches-K31-10001a.gif

Clear I like chunky chrono style watches :)

Your help will be much appreciated :friends:

Cheers

Pants

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you restricting yourself to new watches? The ones you have selected will not hold their value that well so you could save quite a bit by finding a pre loved example.

Used also opens the door for different brands, but in your price range then Seikos would probably meet all your criteria, and are very well built and respected too

*Sorry if Chrono is different to chronograph .... as I said I'm new to this :dontgetit:

*Nope not looking for new specifically but would like something that looks "modern" where possible!

*Quite like the Tissot and tracer might go and have a look at those.

*Dont know if this contravines forum rules but I've seen the Hamilton here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300391859092&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT#ht_2269wt_807

So it looks like the Hamilton is a pretty good deal anyway especially new, don't mind the resale being a bit less than I pay new. my mates lost £800 on his Omega so I guess you'll always lose something on resale value Vs new anyway same as anything really.

Really appreciate your help guys! :notworthy:

*Sorry if Chrono is different to chronograph .... as I said I'm new to this :dontgetit:

Is this aimed at me? If so, I think there is a misunderstanding. I wasn't having a pop, I meant it as "From your post I can see you are after a watch with chronograph functions". I was not for one minute suggesting that you used the word 'chronograph' incorrectly.

Is this aimed at me? If so, I think there is a misunderstanding. I wasn't having a pop, I meant it as "From your post I can see you are after a watch with chronograph functions". I was not for one minute suggesting that you used the word 'chronograph' incorrectly.

It's alright mate I didnt think you were just thought I was having a dumb moment! :thumbsup:

so do those watches not have chronograph features? or am I just getting more confused?

dont forget that if you import a watch, the chances are those awfully nice gents at Her Majesty's Customs and Excise will probably demand VAT, duty and an admin fee before you get your watch. Not sure what the duty may be, but you should budget paying an additional 22-25% over a foreign price. You also have no guarantee you are buying a genuine watch on Fleabay.

While its not a Chrono, the Steinhart Triton is a very 'Strong' design, like the ones you've posted with a few colour/spec variations:

Around your budget...

920591198tri1000bi_1.jpg

306566850tri100atm_1.jpg

Well under your budget and my my fave....

340011544triton_30atm_01.jpg

STEINHART+Triton+30ATM+01.jpg

DSC02389.jpg

from the thread so far i'd go for the hamilton it looks very nice.

Not a chrono but have you checked the steinhart aviation its well under your budget and a lovely looking watch.

google throws up lots of images and places to buy both new and used.

when I have had this budget in the past I have baught a tutima DI300 diver and an ollech and wajs mirage.

the later of these being a lovely chrono. Black dial white hands.

Edited by dtc2

Erm....maybe not

"The watch will be limited and in the $3,000 price range I believe. Finals specs on price and production amounts will come later when the watch is due for release in the Fall of 2011. "

We can all dream

montecristo_051000bkfor0gok_big.jpg

Welder-Watches-K31-10001a.gif

Clear I like chunky chrono style watches :)

Your help will be much appreciated :friends:

Cheers

Pants

Dare to be different, I like those two and although most here will put you on to the more mainstream brands almost none of them will hold their value any better. Buy what you like the look of. Both of the watches above are decent quality, way better than most here will admit and you will have something a bit different. I'll bet more people will ask you about the Welded than a Tissot.

B.

OP, if you like chunky watches (cue Moto-Moto's song from Madagascar 2) Steinhart has a number of big 'uns. Benarus also makes some great chunky divers, limited runs (look for their recent Megaladon). You might also look at Orient's 2010 STI Series II Limited Edition (YeomanSeiko did a nice review), the Series II is a nice big eye-catching watch. I really like my Series I, wear it when I drive at the track.

20101103-3319_er1s_stisticker_640.jpg

Orient has some quartz chronos, but I dont' think they're very distinctive. Go with a Seiko Honda F1 racing chrono instead.

A lot of fans of the Citizen Nighthawk (Blue Angels and other variants), really busy multi-functional watches.

I think someone mentioned Tissot chronos ... they're awesome, I wish I had one.

I don't know if one could be found, or the price, but Fyita Spacemaster (same 7750-clone Shanghai 3L movement base as I'm told is in my Chenevard chrono) is striking looking and you probably won't see any chums wearing one. Google for pics, I dare you not to drop your jaw and pop your eyes out. :sly:

HTH...

While still being new I was in your exact dilema only 2 months ago.

I got a Hamilton, the Khaki Field Chrono Auto.

My firt Hamilton and let me tell you this is a whole lot of wathc for the money.

Go for the Hamilton, the ETA 7750 is its movement and you will LOVE it!!!