• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Please Help Me With A New Watch Idea

So here goes, I was sure Omega Speedmaster will be the love of my life, I found a gorgeous one from a seller in the states and in less then a week I got it.

Found it was tiny for me and I cant tell you how dissapointed I was, it simply looks small on my hand and so this watch was sold and I am on the hunt again.

My problem is BIG desire and very little experience.

I dont want to make same mistake again as on top of the disapointment I lost a lot of money in this advanture so I will really need you advice.

Give me ideas for a good watch........please

So here are the details

1.Price is around 3000$ USD

2.I want a big but not huge watch, something around 43mm to 46mm

3.I like elegant watches

4.I am ok with clean face watches but I rather have a chrono

5.The watch should be easy to sell

6.I rather get a used watch but new is ok

7.I prefer Auto but wind is ok too. Of course Quartz is out of the question.

Omega Planet Ocean is right now one of the only watches I can think of on my want list especially the Chrono version which is a bit out of my reach.

Another one is Longines Master 44mm which is gorgeous but near imposible to find used and too expensive to buy new.

Thanks for your help guys.

So here goes, I was sure Omega Speedmaster will be the love of my life, I found a gorgeous one from a seller in the states and in less then a week I got it.

Found it was tiny for me and I cant tell you how dissapointed I was, it simply looks small on my hand and so this watch was sold and I am on the hunt again.

My problem is BIG desire and very little experience.

I dont want to make same mistake again as on top of the disapointment I lost a lot of money in this advanture so I will really need you advice.

Give me ideas for a good watch........please

So here are the details

1.Price is around 3000$ USD

2.I want a big but not huge watch, something around 43mm to 46mm

3.I like elegant watches

4.I am ok with clean face watches but I rather have a chrono

5.The watch should be easy to sell

6.I rather get a used watch but new is ok

7.I prefer Auto but wind is ok too. Of course Quartz is out of the question.

Omega Planet Ocean is right now one of the only watches I can think of on my want list especially the Chrono version which is a bit out of my reach.

Another one is Longines Master 44mm which is gorgeous but near imposible to find used and too expensive to buy new.

Thanks for your help guys.

how about something like...

oris-raid-chronograph-limited-edition_1.jpg

hope this helps...

http://www.oris.ch/collections/collections_detail.aspx?ln=en&watchid=92

I've been looking around some of the uk sites and it's going for roughly £2400 over here, however you may be able to get it cheaper in the US, but it's worth looking on the ORIS website as there are some really stunning watches on there other than the RAID Chronograph limited edition......

hope this helps...

I've been looking around some of the uk sites and it's going for roughly £2400 over here, however you may be able to get it cheaper in the US...

Be prepared for a possible reaming by HMRC if you buy one in the states.

hope this helps...

I've been looking around some of the uk sites and it's going for roughly £2400 over here, however you may be able to get it cheaper in the US...

Be prepared for a possible reaming by HMRC if you buy one in the states.

oops, my mistake, thought the op was from the US, as he was talking about dollars...

Guest avidfan

$3000 and you can't decide which watch to spend it on??? I doubt I'll ever have that amount of money to spend on a watch yet I have a list of watches I'd buy if I did! Some people really have no imagination.

...But honestly I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any watch at all if I really didn't knew what I wanted...

Very good point actually.....

Why not go to a decent high street shop and have a good look around, or spend a while browsing the forums and get a feel for what you like, try to find the watch in a shop to make sure you like it....

Asking most of us what we would buy is likely to get many and varied opinions.... You need to form your own as its a very individual thing..

You probably know the decent makers and also who to avoid, find one you like the look of and start from there, by all means get opinions for resale etc..... :)

You shouldn't have lost too much on that Speedmaster deal though, they have pretty strong residuals after the initial depreciation .....

I really don't know the price on these but I believe they around your budget. A chrono, elegant watch...

evidenza001.jpg

...it's much better on the flesh, really an astonishing watch.

Longines have lots and lots of elegant quality watches so maybe it's worth to take a look around they website.

#5, IMHO, seems extremely subjective.

On size, might be necessary to view the watch of interest "in hand" if possible. Depending on design, some watches appear larger or smaller on the wrist than their actual measured case diameter.

Edited by normdiaz

...But honestly I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any watch at all if I really didn't knew what I wanted...

Why not go to a decent high street shop and have a good look around, or spend a while browsing the forums and get a feel for what you like, try to find the watch in a shop to make sure you like it....

Asking most of us what we would buy is likely to get many and varied opinions.... You need to form your own as its a very individual thing..

You probably know the decent makers and also who to avoid, find one you like the look of and start from there, by all means get opinions for resale etc..... :)

You shouldn't have lost too much on that Speedmaster deal though, they have pretty strong residuals after the initial depreciation .....

+1 Good Advice :)

Good luck

$3000 and you can't decide which watch to spend it on??? I doubt I'll ever have that amount of money to spend on a watch yet I have a list of watches I'd buy if I did! Some people really have no imagination.

Thats because you have been in the watch hobby much longer then me.

I cant imagine what I have never seen.

There are a million watch makers out there but I will not buy something I dont know or wasnt highly recommended to get from a good source.

Losing few hundreds of dollars in 3 days of owning the bloody watch is a lot of money for me.

I went to a watch shop, lots of beautiful watches there but their prices is insane and it doesnt help me to know how much they worth in the after market.

There is one watch I really want but there is no where to get it used and thats the Longines Master Retrograde 44mm.

No used one anywhere and its too expensive to buy new.

Another one is Omega Tera Aqua Chrono 45 too expensive used and insanely expenive new.

Back to square one.

I checkd the Oris and I will need to go to the shop to check them but I am not sure if I will pull the trigger one one of them.

This if I had the cash (it's a lot less than US$3000), plus a green bezel to go with it.

stowaseatimediver.jpg

Too plain for my taste, looks like a brick, I like chrono

I really don't know the price on these but I believe they around your budget. A chrono, elegant watch...

evidenza001.jpg

...it's much better on the flesh, really an astonishing watch.

Longines have lots and lots of elegant quality watches so maybe it's worth to take a look around they website.

Sorry this watch on your wrist is a nice watch but not my taste, I like round only watches.

As I said I like the Longines and its actually the one on the top of my want list but no where to get a used one.

I think the owners of these MAster watches simply love their watches and are not willing to let them go.

There was one for sale yesterday but it was the 41mm which is too small for me.

prehaps play around with some cheaper watches and flip a few before you make a very expensive purchase.

spend a year or two doing this and then buy something expensive when you have developed your tastes.

I got a whole range of wathces.

Montblanc Timewalker

Rolex Sub

Hamilton Khaki Chrono

Seiko Orange Monster

Bulova Bulova Tank Wind

Bulova Auto (old model)

So whie I am a novice I do have few watches and I also have a plan to which I promissed myself to stick.

I want one more good quality watch, I thought the Speedy will be it but its not so now that its gone I want one more good watch.

In the future I plan on selling or trading my Rolex and want to get a Panerai.

I also want a mechanical alarm watch to add to my Monster as an everyday beatter.

Here's a couple you might not have thought of.

Laco Valjoux 44. A 44mm case, but might not be too easy to sell as you don't often see Laco's apart from their classic pilots watch. It's under your budget at around 2000 USD I think. Nice blue numerals and hands on the white one.

WhiteDial.jpg

BlackDial.jpg

Stowa Chronograph 1938. 41mm. 1700 Euro. Very elegant looking watch, but might be a little small for you.

100918StowaChrono6.jpg

Stowa_Chrono_1938_6.jpg

(all photos found on the internet)

prehaps play around with some cheaper watches and flip a few before you make a very expensive purchase.

spend a year or two doing this and then buy something expensive when you have developed your tastes.

I got a whole range of wathces.

Montblanc Timewalker

Rolex Sub

Hamilton Khaki Chrono

Seiko Orange Monster

Bulova Bulova Tank Wind

Bulova Auto (old model)

So whie I am a novice I do have few watches and I also have a plan to which I promissed myself to stick.

I want one more good quality watch, I thought the Speedy will be it but its not so now that its gone I want one more good watch.

In the future I plan on selling or trading my Rolex and want to get a Panerai.

I also want a mechanical alarm watch to add to my Monster as an everyday beatter.

a panerai is something I would love to own as well. I love the style of them they are very distinctive. My preferred style is that with the crown guard but I can't decide wether to go chrono or farily plain dial. I think a plain dial suits them realy well possibly just the saml dial for seconds at 9 o'clock. And I also thyink they look so much better with a leather strap.

you could just go for the panerai at this point ?

you could just go for the panerai at this point ?

Well I need to get a watch to replace my sold Speedy first and then I might consider trading my Rolex for a Panerai

Does anyone have any info on this watch ?

IWC 3719 Aquatimer Chronograph

Thats because you have been in the watch hobby much longer then me.

I cant imagine what I have never seen.

There are a million watch makers out there but I will not buy something I dont know or wasnt highly recommended to get from a good source.

Losing few hundreds of dollars in 3 days of owning the bloody watch is a lot of money for me.

I went to a watch shop, lots of beautiful watches there but their prices is insane and it doesnt help me to know how much they worth in the after market.

There is one watch I really want but there is no where to get it used and thats the Longines Master Retrograde 44mm.

No used one anywhere and its too expensive to buy new.

Another one is Omega Tera Aqua Chrono 45 too expensive used and insanely expenive new.

Back to square one.

I checkd the Oris and I will need to go to the shop to check them but I am not sure if I will pull the trigger one one of them.

If you lost $300 in 3 days on a Speedmaster.............

Guess what?, you either paid too much, or sold it too cheap.............

Which is your fault, no one elses :)

Cheers Martin

If you lost $300 in 3 days on a Speedmaster.............

Guess what?, you either paid too much, or sold it too cheap.............

Which is your fault, no one elses :)

Cheers Martin

Nothing new to me, I always loose money on my hobbies.

I am a fountain pen collector and in almost all cases of pens I sold (a lot) I lost money.

I am very bad in trade, well aware of it and thats why I want to be as sure as posibble about what I buy so I will not be forced to sell it and have both heart ache and pocket ache :(

So how about it guys any info on this watch ?

IWC 3719 Aquatimer Chronograph

There is one of sale in my price range.

I know IWC is a good respected watch maker.

Is this watch worth 2850$ (USD) ? (assuming its in excellent condition with box and papers)

Is it easy to sell ?