• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

no not Spock or even a vulcain watch thrown away but a real avro vulcan delta-shocking photo from badly set camera from kitchen today at 2.15. Elvington museum just outside York is about 8 miles away as a vulcan flies it did a few loops up there and then flew south over us towards the Humber. back to a Lincolnshire base. The lok and the SOUND -made my Easter-Happiness!!! Really sorry about the pics.

vulcan009.jpg

vulcan008.jpg

vulcan007.jpg

You're very lucky, she's a fine old bird - XH558. I've seen her a few times now, but always at displays. She's scheduled for Leuchars again this year and is always the highlight for me - the sound of her 'roar' is just breathtaking. This was last year...

3eb62965.jpg

edit - ps - scotland always looks like this!

Edited by tall_tim

I saw XE558 at a airshow a couple of years ago...

Fantastic noise..... Just re-read Vulcan 607 again too, great book...

vulcan.jpg

Growing up as a kid I used to see the Vulcans quite often flying out of RAF Finningley.

An amazing sight even today.

Them were the days.

I used to work with a chap who was involved with the work in getting this lady back in the air (he was ex RAF from Lincolnshire way). I always hoped I could wangle my way in to see her fly.....was never that lucky :(

I was lucky enough to be on a lane with a cracking view of stuff from Brize a couple of years ago, watched her do a few laps :)

I remember as a kid going on day trips up to "Wadders" just to see them (9 sqn I think) Well we had rellies up there tbh but I remember the Vulcans (& I think Lightnings?) much more! I seem to remember they were at Scampton as well, this is a really long time ago! lol. I joined the RAF in '83 and clearly remember seeing them flying but I think they had stopped operational duties by then so must have been at air shows. I'm sure they were at saints in 83 when I was there?

I joined the RAF in '83 and clearly remember seeing them flying but I think they had stopped operational duties by then so must have been at air shows. I'm sure they were at saints in 83 when I was there?

They were due to be binned in early 82 , but the Falklands war gave them a reprieve until late 82 I think it was .......

no not Spock or even a vulcain watch thrown away but a real avro vulcan delta-shocking photo from badly set camera from kitchen today at 2.15. Elvington museum just outside York is about 8 miles away as a vulcan flies it did a few loops up there and then flew south over us towards the Humber. back to a Lincolnshire base. The lok and the SOUND -made my Easter-Happiness!!! Really sorry about the pics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She went up yesterday for trials. She will be doing sevearal air shows this year if payments are made. She is now based in South Yorkshire at Robin Hood Airport formally RAF Finningley nr Doncaster.

Edited by Philz

Guest littlealex

I joined the RAF in '83 and clearly remember seeing them flying but I think they had stopped operational duties by then so must have been at air shows. I'm sure they were at saints in 83 when I was there?

They were due to be binned in early 82 , but the Falklands war gave them a reprieve until late 82 I think it was .......

There's a Vulcan on display at Hendon RAF Museum,A world class aviation museum considered to be the best in Europe !.

Can also recommend Roland White's book for those who've not read.Details how the aircraft was taken out of mothballs to serve in the Falklands campaign,The ''Black Buck'' campaign standing [until the last Gulf war i think]as the longest range bombing raids in history !.

There's a Vulcan on display at Hendon RAF Museum,A world class aviation museum considered to be the best in Europe !.

Can also recommend Roland White's book for those who've not read.Details how the aircraft was taken out of mothballs to serve in the Falklands campaign,The ''Black Buck'' campaign standing [until the last Gulf war i think]as the longest range bombing raids in history !.

Ditto that. Cosford also has an excellent cold war static display featuring Vulcan and the other 'V' bombers.

Guest avidfan

I used to fly them, yep me and Corky had some great times in them. We went to the Falklands and bombed a few ships had a few Argie planes trying their luck but we were unstoppable and we were even back home in Blighty just in time for kippers.

It might have been a dream though :shocking:

The Vulcan was operational until March 31st 1984 with number 50 Squadron based at Waddington. :)

My very first posting after my RAF apprenticeship was to Scampton, which, with RAF Waddington was home to the Vulcan force. I remember to this day servicing the Instrument Landing System's Glidepath 100 yds from the QRP (Quick Readiness Pan if memory serves), when 4 of them scrambled and went from engines off to wheels off in less than 2 minutes; it was then I learnt that noise is painful. Being so close without hearing protection was not clever but the H&S police hadn't been invented in those days. Not my favourite aircraft, that is reserved for the DC3/C47, but a definite 2nd and I am grateful to this day for having the privilege of working so close to them for a couple of years.

'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White is the story of the Black Buck raid to the South Atlantic, thoroughly recommend it if you haven't read it.

Now where did I put my hearing aid?

I love plane threads. Living in Australia we done get many/any air shows down here and i would love to see something like this in the flesh.

Great pictures - bet she sounded awesome!

I had the pleasure of having this one at my passing out parade in 1986.

vulcanflypast8600001.jpg

vulcanflypast86.jpg

I was then working at an airshow at RAF Alconbury in 1989, when a B1 came from over the hangars at 500 feet on full reheat......I am still deaf :shocking:

Seen a Vulcan display a couple of times when they were operational, it's slated for Cosford this year and I'm going to be there :yes:

Well I went to Cosford (just back as I combined it with a 2 day stay at Ironbridge to do the museums there)No Vulcan, no anything really - half display from the Reds :angry: and Tornado did his best with cloud ceiling at 800 ft. Not been so wet in ages, what a disappointment.

We'll be flying Chinese planes before long! ............ from leased Chinese aircraft carriers! :jawdrop:

Mike

Wonderful aircraft, it was here at the local airshow a month ago and nearly took the roof off........ still a bit deaf....

Seen it at Brize a few times, used to go there and watch Concorde do "circuits & bumps" as we used to say, training the pilots......

One day was quite memorable...... Lots of VC-10's at Brize as people know, anyway one was waiting to take off, so Concorde comes round, lands on the runway and touches down on the runway for 10 sec's then powers up & lifts off again.

When she powered away the poor old VC-10 trundles onto the airstrip and gets ready to take off, she just starts going down the runway when Concorde being so fast has already done a circuit and coming into land again onto the back off the VC-10

Listening in on my Aircraft Radio ( allowed back then i think) was the words "Concordes coming in, Break Break Break" To which Concorde veered off and pulled away, as for the VC-10 it pretended to be a Lightening, full after burners, it went down that runway like a scolded cat, belching black soot and stood on it's tail and pulled nearly vertical. It just seemed to stay 20 ft of the ground pointing straight up!! and it eventually climbed away. I was deaf for the rest of the day but had a big smile on my face!!! :jump: